Poulan sheared key

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I haven't found it...I am working on a Poulan "Wild Thing" model 2375 chain saw which won't run because it has a sheared flywheel key. This model has the key built into the flywheel and when you shear the aluminum key, generally what they want you to do is buy a new flywheel. Well, I would like a more permanent repair and was wondering if there is an older flywheel with the steel woodruff key that will fit this model. Any help will be appreciated.

Lift up the gas cap, slide the old saw out of the way, slide the new saw in it's place and reinstall the gas cap.

Seriously - these saws are good for about 40 hours of runtime (look on the label on the saw, it'll have the same info). For $125 or $150 they're a smokin' deal but need to be considered a disposable saw and when they're done they're done. Sell it on Craigslist for $50 as a parts saw and go get a new one.

Nikko

if you can get your hands on a 3400 that needs a cylinder i happen to have a 3400 cylinder here new

actually i have tons of cylinders of different kinds for poulan and mac and homelite

even have a cylinder for a shindaiwa chainsaw 451 and 500

so yes find you a good used saw and fix it up but them 2375 series are built cheap the older ones are built to last

i know exactily what flywheel you speaking of MTD ryobi had the same issue flywheel key inside the flywheel itself now they gone to a keyway itself so yes they made a improvement

talk later

calvin

I'd use a file a little thinner than the keyway and cut a slot in the existing flywheel until I could hammer a key into it. No guarantees, especially if the taper is worn from the flywheel coming lose the first time, but it might work and it's cheap.

Back