Powder Post Beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mingo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I burn a lot of hickory and get a lot of pp beetles. Wondering if there is any tricks out there to help reduce the problem. They don't eat much but the sawdust makes a mess.

hi, i process firewood in ohio. cut a lot of hickory and discard a lot of splits cause they looked so ugly and had the dust all over them. luckily for me, my brother will burn any junk or scrap pieces i cangive him. this year while looking at my hickory splits that had worm holes, separated bark and dust i noticed that the splits i produced that had no bark on them when they were stacked to dry looked good. i had decided not to cut anymore hickory but now am having second thoughts. will try and make smallest splits possible around the circumference of the rounds that gets rid of all the bark. then split what remains in the regular manner. i know this is more time consuming, but hopefully i will be ahead of the game by not discarding so many raggedy pieces that i don't want to pass on to my customers. well those are my observations and what i will try next.

Latest posts

Back