Power match vs. Oregon pro bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never liked any of the oregon stuff... bars where always a little to floppy even when they didn't just bend, chains wore out fast, files wore out fast...

Only ran one sandvik bar but that was on a firewood saw many many moons ago, although last time I was in Ma's woodshed its was still on that old homylight...

The abuse I've given to stihl bars and never have permanently bent one... I'll stick with stihl...

I'm hoping its going to be great. it'll be fine at the very least, and plenty cool anyhow. which has approximately no value, but I'll pretend it does.

Now someone find me a tsumura or a sugihara 34" .063 stihl mount please?

If you'd just wise up and run huskyvarnas you could run techlites......problem solved.

I know that I'm a pecker head................

Hope all's well Joe - Sam

I had to double check the pricing but Baileys does list the Cannons at $240. Woodland pros are in that $150 range. Maybe its a typo? Madsens has the cannons listed at $140 something. I get my Husky branded bars (power match) from my local saw shop for around a hundred bucks. If I ordered one from anywhere else it would be darn near that with the shipping so I figured support my local guy. That way he'll peel parts off of displays saws when I call in for a recoil or clutch cover or this or that right now! He can get Oregon stuff in to. I may just have to run a Pro for myself. They just look like they'll preform better! So they should right?

I'm just glad this didn't get moved to the chainsaw forum. There'd be about 40 pages of himmin and hawin and not a word of it useful.

Thanks again!

Just an update. Shortly after this thread I called my local shop and asked him if he could order an Oregon Pro bar. He hadn't heard of them, but said he would do some digging. I told him that I'm flying through his Powermatch bars and that I'm looking for something that's going to last longer. He said that sucks and really shouldn't be happening. He calls me back a few hours later and says that the Pro bars have a hardened rail, but otherwise are the same bar and the price was within a few bucks. So he ordered one to see what it was it all about. He then told me he called up Cannon and got set up as a dealer. A few days later I brought two of my powermatch bars into him that had the same amount of time on them as a comparison. One looked decent enough and the other had chipped and flaked rails. He was surprised to see how bad it was considering the amount of paint the bar had on it yet. He asked if he could hang onto the beat up bar to show it to his rep. Long story short they are going to warranty the powermatch bar and he put that toward the price of the Cannon which he gave to me at his cost just to see how they would hold up. I'm typically the guinea pig in these kind of situations because I put so much more time on the saw than anyone he knows. The Cannon has a wide-three rivet tip and is a superbar plus. He sold it to me for $225 which I thought was steep considering Madsens has them at $175 or so, but Madsen's also has the one rivet Oregon tip on them. My wife picked up the bar and I haven't been in the shop since, but I plan to let him know about Madsen's price and am wondering if Cannon makes different grades of their bars? I'm not normally one to complain, but things just kind of rolled on. Time will tell I guess. So the moral is- if you get a crappy Powermatch let your shop know right away and they might be able to help you out. I didn't think there was such a thing as warrantying a bar.

299861d1371072234-cannon-jpg

View attachment 299861

attachment.php

View attachment 299846

Last edited:
That super bar plus is the Stihl tip on it. The regular Oregon style tips are cheaper.

Last edited:
That super bar plus is the Stihl tip on it. The regular Oregon style tips are cheaper.

That makes more sense. For some reason Bitzer's bar pic didn't show up for me. He described it as a three-rivet Oregon tip. I envisioned the OLD three-rivet Oregon tips that Cannon used decades ago. Didn't make sense on a new Cannon bar. I didn't know that Cannon ever used Stihl tips (which look like a GB tip). I've only seen the current Oregon single-rivet tips on recent Cannons....

That makes more sense. For some reason Bitzer's bar pic didn't show up for me. He described it as a three-rivet Oregon tip. I envisioned the OLD three-rivet Oregon tips that Cannon used decades ago. Didn't make sense on a new Cannon bar. I didn't know that Cannon ever used Stihl tips (which look like a GB tip). I've only seen the current Oregon single-rivet tips on recent Cannons....

The pic should work this time. I meant the Cannons Madsens sells have the Oregon style single rivet. My guess is when my shop guy called them he told them I'm looking for a bar that is going to outlast everything. Probably why they went with the wide tip and three rivet. I thought they only came in the single rivet myself.

Last edited:
Gologit. if those powermatches i sent you don't work i'll send you some stihl bars.

Well ****. Only reason I got a pro was because they didn't seem to have any powermatch pluses in stock.. we'll see I guess..

The Powermatch and Oregon Pro bars are not the same and the Pro bar is not a polished version of the Powermatch. There's a difference in quality and you should be able to get quite a bit more life out of the Pro bar.

i just picked up 2 new oregons ,a lightweight and a powermatch plus ,they have red lettering on them now

You're probably right about that Sam. I've got a 32" Tsumura on the way.

How's the new cannon bar holding up?

Well I was knocking the burrs off of my Oregon bar twice a week. I haven't had to file the Cannon yet. I did open up the oil holes on it. I am just not happy with the tiny oil holes they put on bars now. The chain was just not getting enough oil. Other than that I like it. It cuts differently. I like how it bucks.

Last edited:
Just fine I'll bet.....but his arms are a couple inches longer now.

Well the first 20 minutes or so suck, then the next few hours I don't even notice. The last hour is a real killer though. At night when I'm putting the saw back together with a sharp chain, it feels really heavy. For some damn reason that bar has kind of screwed with my mind. I can make a decent looking stump to save my life. They're getting better, but I just can't level the bastard out. Either under or over compensating. Just weird.

Well I was knocking the burrs off of my Oregon bar twice a week. I haven't had to file the Cannon yet. I did open up the oil holes on it. I am just not happy with the tiny oil holes they put on bars now. The chain was just not getting enough oil. Other than that I like it. It cuts differently. I like how it bucks.

bitz, can you give any more detail on "it cuts diff."? what were ya running? I agree none of these new bars oil right, not even stihl.

Latest posts

Back