Power Mods for 455 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been reading the forums here and have seen discussions about whether or not there can be gains made by modding the 455's muffler. Any suggestions? I have had mine for 2 years and have cut about 4 cords of wood with it. I just purchased a smaller 18" bar and blade without the safety chain it came with. Can some exhaust mods and fuel enrichment give me more power, or am I better off leaving it alone? Thanks for any help:clap:

From what I've read, those have stratified carburetion (sp?) and muffler mods don't work well. Just trade it in on a 359 or 357xp, mod the muffler and you're set. :)

Ian

I can't afford another saw right now, so I'm stuck with what I have. I have been pretty happy with it, especially when I replaced the safety chain with stihl chain and reduced the bar size to 18". Is there anything I can do to this saw to make it run better? Be specific because I am a rookie:dizzy:

Not much you can do with it really as far as I know. I think even the modders that make a living porting saws aren't getting a substantial gain out of them.

Ian

I think you can help it perform at it's peak by not tolerating a dull chain. Learn to file and touch up your chain when you feel it starting to lose it's edge.

Ian

Thanks, I have been keeping the blade sharp. I wasn't thrilled about the chain that came with it, but I didn't know any better. I now am running a stihl chain on it that the local repair place said would do much better. After reading on here, I'll probably get the 455 running good and sell it on ebay and buy a better one. I need to be able to cut 4-5 cords a year of oak and other assorted wood. Unfortunately I can't get it started :help: Please see my other post for help with my starting issues. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59070

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back