power tek splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my local saw shop is carrying power tek splitters and grinders-

I am looking for a small splitter horiz is fine-

i looked at oak and iron-huge money and 6 week lead time-

timberwolf 5 days lead but $2500 w/4 way

apples to apples comp powertek was 1825 with a four way full of oils etc.

TSC ws 1600-for a slower but more powerful machine

all honda engines.

I am leaning toward the powertek I have just never heard of them.

thanks
Kevin

I have an Iron and Oak 30 ton with a 9HP Honda GX engine-horizontal only. I have used both horizontal and vertical splitters, and prefer the horizontal position when loading. I would recommend to wait for the Iron and Oak, or the Timberwolf- they are both well made machines. As for cost...."Good tools are not cheap, and cheap tools are not good". Rental might be an option for you, but if you do your splitting over several days/weeks/months, the purchase of one new or used may be the best bet. Since I split at my leisure, the purchase of the Iron and Oak splitter was more cost effective, as well as convenient for me. Rentals by me are $90 a day plus tax, plus time and gas to pick up and return it, if it was even available.

thanks

I feel the same way about tools.

stihl-Dolmar-logrite-etc.

The small splitters that I am looking at spec out the same.

even to techincal details like shaft size and beam size.

the only thing I do not and most manuf. don't list is pump manuf.

here is the spec list:

http://www.powertek.us/index_files/Splitter.html

let me know what you guys think.

reality is that saving $500.00 is alot of repairs. and i could buy more saws with that dough!!!.

k

When it comes to log splitters the pump manufacturer is usually not named because 96% are made by Haldex-Barnes. The other 4% are made by MTE.

The two-stage pumps sold by Northern ,TSC ,and splitter assemblers are Haldex-Barnes with private label part numbers.

Splitter Recommendation

Northwest Power Tools has my splitter, a 30Ton horizontal only with a 9HP Honda GX engine for $2039, free shipping (which is about $500 with Northern Tools- I priced that, too) Two weeks to get to my door from time of internet order. Also no sales tax :) . Thats another 8 1/4 % saved.

Check out their website for specifications. They also have a downloadable PDF logsplitter manual online.

It was HEAVY, but easy to assemble. Also the horizontal height was good for me (with 12" tires).

Northwest Power Tools has my splitter, a 30Ton horizontal only with a 9HP Honda GX engine for $2039, free shipping (which is about $500 with Northern Tools- I priced that, too) Two weeks to get to my door from time of internet order. Also no sales tax :) . Thats another 8 1/4 % saved.

Check out their website for specifications. They also have a downloadable PDF logsplitter manual online.

It was HEAVY, but easy to assemble. Also the horizontal height was good for me (with 12" tires).

If all you have is 12inch trees for the most parts I would have bought the Super Splitter for a bit more. The small model would have worked great for you. The spliter you bought is very nice and I'm sure will work great for you. But in small wood like that the super spliter cruises right through fast.

Scott

Thats 12 inch tires, which gives the horizontal H beam a comfortable height for me to work with. I considered the Super Split, but the cycle time left little time for error. I saw a video on YOU TUBE regarding the Super Split. The operator was distracted by a young boy, something you don't want to happen while working with any splitter. Check it out,it will make you cringe!!!! Anyway, for the price and quality, I recommend the Iron and Oak 30 ton horizontal.

Oh yea I guess I read that a little fast sorry. You don't have to use the super split like the guy on you tube is. I will say he is a little dangerous. You can use it without being dangerous. But you did buya nice splitter I have seen them. Good luck with it.

Scott

Latest posts

Back