? PowerHorse Dual Split 20 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bricks

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new splitter, the one we have now is about 30 years old. Been a great splitter but way to slow. It has been a tough old bird not one single reweld on it but been thru 2 engines and pump coupler. It has a 36 inch cylinder on it which was great when we had the old woodstove but now with the ECH 40 it takes 20 inch max. The cycle time is like forever on the old girl.

PowerHorse dual action 20 ton I like the idea of splitting in both directions and what reveiws I have found folks seem to really like the dual split action of the PowerHorse 20 ton. Very seldom do we split anything over 24 inch diameter and we use about 6 chords or less a year.

Any one have experience with this splitter or coments?

Thanks

Its kind of like the GM ford or Dodge fans all have their favorite brand and are loyal to them. After splitting wood by hand for years,my 3 point splitter was a great item. Then I decided to buy a stand alone unit,and use my tractor as a bench and transporter,with out having to turn it around and pick the splits back up. I simply just bring the big rounds over and split them putting them right back in the bucket,and taking them to my shed. So my quest for a new splitter brought me to basically 3 brands. Timberwolf,Super split and Split-Fire. The Timberwolf is a great machine,but for a guy doing 10 to 15 cords a year,very pricey. So it came down to Super Split and Split Fire for me. I liked both and finally decided on the Split Fire with a 2 and 4 way interchangable wedge. This is a very heavy well built splitter made in Canada. Check it out and compare it to the Power Horse. Here is a Link: http://split-fire.com/splitter_photogallery.html I have had my Split fire now for 3 years and have split over 40 cords. I love it and have had zero problems.

Last edited:
I like mine. So far no breaks in the lines, or cracks in the metal. If i need to move it somewere close i extend the cylinder so it goes past the engine and I can move it around by hand. I do go through some grease lubing the beam up though. 1 thing i dont understand it why the manufactor didnt put a return line filture on. I like it for the cost and then engine starts on the 2-3 pull after sitting for 6 months. Perfect for what I do

bigchunk%20%28Medium%29.JPG

powerhorsesplittor%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Thanks

I did a search on the Split Fire they seem to not want to put up there prices on the net was curouis to compare some prices, may have to call them.

Yes I did read about some of the fittings on the PowerHorse splitter and some folks repalced them right away when they put it together. Adding a oil filter is a great idea I would imagine they did not from the factory as a cost savings.

I have one, and works well for me. It is smaller and easy to pull behind the quad in the woods. The dual action is really nice too saves time and wear. A few things about it I don't like are some of the plastic fitting for the hydraulics. They are replaceable though. I really don't have any complaints at all, and I split some big wood too.

I have one, and works well for me. It is smaller and easy to pull behind the quad in the woods. The dual action is really nice too saves time and wear. A few things about it I don't like are some of the plastic fitting for the hydraulics. They are replaceable though. I really don't have any complaints at all, and I split some big wood too.

Thanks Matt

What I really like is there price dosen`t break the bank. :cheers:

Back