Powerhorse log splittor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a number of reviews that I have read on this splitter, save your money. Very lightweight in the building, and generally considered a light use machine. Havent seen anyone on the boards here that had one, but it was discussed at lenght a few months ago. The generaly consensus was it was garbage.

It's Chinese crap, with a Honda knock-off motor. If ever there was a time NOT to be buying Chinese crap, I think this would be it.

That said, I have my NT catalog here in front of me, and those things look weak. It also appears that you can buy their 1107-1903 20 ton 6.5hp H/V splitter for the same price as the 20ton Powerhorse...so it would seem an easy choice if you're hell-bent on buying from Northern...

Thanks for the replies. $$ is tight and thought this would do for the little work i got to do.. Did notice they dont have a filture on the return line. Looks like ill be saving the $ for something else then. Was looking at a 3pt splittor but the 656IH hydro is a gas guzzler.

I have been meaning to put a post together on the my new powerhorse 20ton. I ordered it around the first of the years and got hurt before it got delivered. Finally put 7 cord through it last week. Personally I think it is worth the money for what it is. However there is tons of room for improvement.

I think ill be going to the hardware store to see what they got available.. All i seen for videos was the one Northern tools made and posted on youtube. Seen some of the reviews made on Northern tools and some issues about not having angled fittings on the cylinder. I think all it takes for me to change my mind is a comment made from Computeruser- Cheep Chinese crap

I was surprised how many made in the USA stickers were on the unit. The motor runs sweet and has a dual port muffler! The motor is much nicer than other honda copies I own.

Also check on the shipping. I have been hearing Nothern isn't all that freindly in that department and the little you save might be made up in getting it to you.

Just checked the price on a woodsplittor that was sold at the local Bomgaars 18 miles away. 22ton H/V Unsure of brand. $1300. I remember seeing it and didnt care for the small beam on it. This is getting to the point of were the piles of wood is getting out of hand and needing to be split and stacked. Was thinking of just building a splittor but the cost of iron and parts was just a little less then buying 1 outright..Even though i have a couple verticle and horizontal engines laying around from riding lawnmowers.. or a 4 cylinder out of a dodge omni that is perfect..And i gots me a 14ft boat trailor (rear axle from omni is on trailor with 13" rubber)

Me too!!!

Look at the northern tools 30 ton log splitter. I have one and it works great.

:agree2:

Runs like a champ all day on 1 tank. Haven't had it stopped yet. Honda engine always starts 1 pull. I would not even consider another splitter if I had it to do over

The wood I have put through the splitter to date was big and nasty, many of the pieces were in excess of 4' diameter. I only had one nasty crotch that it did not go through on the first try.

Shipping was no issue with Northern.

The engine surged when I first got it, couldn't find much I could tune on the carb. I tossed the tach on it and it was running 4400rpm, brought it down to 3600 and runs great.

Just checked the price on a woodsplittor that was sold at the local Bomgaars 18 miles away. 22ton H/V Unsure of brand. $1300. I remember seeing it and didnt care for the small beam on it. This is getting to the point of were the piles of wood is getting out of hand and needing to be split and stacked. Was thinking of just building a splittor but the cost of iron and parts was just a little less then buying 1 outright..Even though i have a couple verticle and horizontal engines laying around from riding lawnmowers.. or a 4 cylinder out of a dodge omni that is perfect..And i gots me a 14ft boat trailor (rear axle from omni is on trailor with 13" rubber)

i built mine on a light boat trailer. they're great for towing it because they have leaf springs.

if you decide to build one, remember that the beam is crucial to the splitter. it absorbes all the energy. you can mount the beam on anything....as long as the beam is tuff enough to handle all that force.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/mga_01/log splitter/DSCF0206.jpg

the beam on mine is just bolted to that trailer with 4 bolts. the motor in the picture is an 18hp which was replaced with a 12.5. that thing splits anything we can lift on it. i like putting the crotches on it just to see what it can do.

Last edited:
NT sells just the splitting parts

They sell the cylinder and two way splitter minus the engine and trailer part.
If you have access to an engine and a pump. you can get a splitter for pretty cheap.
That was my plan before I bought my speeco.

I thought about that also....but the specs worried me, it said you need like a 6gpm pump max I think...got me worried a bit for some reason. They also only sell the smaller beam and cylinder setup, if they sold the bigger 20 ton one I'd me more likely to get it.

It clearly states "made in the USA" on the beam assembly.
But the entire unit might be made elsewhere.. Does not make a whole lot of sense to me.
That sucks that it is the 3x18 cylinder on the 3pt and the beam assembly.
seriously for 999.00 bucks it might be well worth the price.
One of our users here has one and has began to do a few writeups on it.. Maybe he would be nice enough to do some videos for us too.
I was planning on swinging in to a NT store on my way back from hog hunting down in Florida back in Dec. But I never got the side trip made.. We were to concerned with getting three grown men and three hogs home from Florida in a Neon.LOL

I agree it sucks on the smaller beam/cylinder, I think it's one of the best ideas out there...just bugs me that they have the bigger one obviously...why only make the small one available seperately...like they are teasing me or something :)

The valve and pump are made in the USA.

Comes with processing tray
Compact and easy to move around the yard
Engine runs nice and is quiet
Price

Dislikes
Ergonimics are horrible, it is to low and the valve is to far away
Much slower than a supersplit
Wedge was blunt and needed a ton of material to be removed to sharpen
Piston mounts look a bit weak, the splitfire mounts are much more substatial
Suction line can colapse

Current mods
New suction line
Spin on filter (after I got a better look at the stock filter it isn't that bad)
Bent the valve handle closer to the work area
Sharpened the wedge

Future mods
Larger motor and pump to increase speed
Add sheet metal on top of the processing tables
Add a 4-way wedge
Add larger tires for road use and to raise table height

Hey CUCV, can you see down in the beam and how they mount the cylinder to the moving wedge and how the moving wedge slides on the beam? Notice any difference in splitting force in one direction over the other?

Latest posts

Back