Powerhorse log splittor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey CUCV, can you see down in the beam and how they mount the cylinder to the moving wedge and how the moving wedge slides on the beam? Notice any difference in splitting force in one direction over the other?

Heck NT gives you a complete diagram on the details of the splitter
The design is basically a box within a box with a long notch cut out of the top of the outside box.

I forgot about that, think I saw that diagram months ago, I'll have to go look, the engineer in my loves drawings :)

Ok so would yall recomend the 20 ton supersplit to someone that is going to be using the 1st time for about 8 hours and then maybe a couple times per summer that is only wanting to spend $1000? I have yet to get a woodstove out in the shop, but i do have piles of rounds laying around and also rounds that are stacked that are all needing split

I have not used one..

Ok so would yall recomend the 20 ton supersplit to someone that is going to be using the 1st time for about 8 hours and then maybe a couple times per summer that is only wanting to spend $1000? I have yet to get a woodstove out in the shop, but i do have piles of rounds laying around and also rounds that are stacked that are all needing split
But the few people that bothered to write a review seem very pleased.a Thousand bucks is not a lot to spend on a splitter.. Way under half of what a super splitter list for.If it splits half as fast it is a bargain correct?

If that supersplittor is the 1 that uses the rack and flywheel and tosses wood through the wedge i think anything half as fast would be darn good. I just dont want to take the darn thing into the shop every other time to weld and fix it

One of these days I need to check out those wood wolfs in person......... that place is only a half hour from my house.

I figure I have 17 hour on mine, barely even used in my opinion. I am planning to put 30 cord through it this summer.
How much would do you plan to put through it? what type of wood and how big?

Biggest rounds 3ft across. Majority is 2ft across and smaller. Anything 6inches or wider i try to keep. Mostly all softwoods, fence line trees and what ever else i can get

Just Bought the 3pt Powerhorse

I just picked up the 3 point model Powerhorse. It will come in later this week, so I haven't actually seen it yet. I got it for $550 out the door. I was looking at the other models on the floor and they looked pretty darn good for the money. There were "Made in USA" stickers all over them and the sales guy said that they were made by a Northern Tool subsidiary in Faribault, MN which is just an hour south of the store I bought mine at. He said I was welcome to go down and get it my self if I wanted. There may be some imported components, but I did notice that the ones on the floor had Prince valves on them. I figured for $500, I'd give it a try. I broke my old 3 point powered auger type splitter yesterday so I needed something. I read all the reviews and all were 4.5 and 5 stars out of 5.

LM

By all means keep us informed.

Did you buy the one with the fixed ends and the knife goes back and forth?

I was looking at the 3pt also, but the 656 IH likes to guzzle the gas. So farive been happy with my selection and i think the splittor is perfect for what i do

I think ill be going to the hardware store to see what they got available.. All i seen for videos was the one Northern tools made and posted on youtube. Seen some of the reviews made on Northern tools and some issues about not having angled fittings on the cylinder. I think all it takes for me to change my mind is a comment made from Computeruser- Cheep Chinese crap

Look into a Log Boss, made right there in Iowa.Can't remember who on here that has one but he loves his and I think they are around $1200.

I was looking at the 3pt also, but the 656 IH likes to guzzle the gas. So farive been happy with my selection and i think the splittor is perfect for what i do

I have a Belarus 220 Diesel, it uses about 5 gallons a year. Should work well with this.

Update on the Powerhorse

Well its been almost a year and this splitter has worked very well. For the money, this has been a great value. The bi-directional nature of this splitter is great and a time saving idea. If my tractor had a higher volume pump, it would speed it up a bit more but it is entirely acceptable as it is. For the time being this is the only 3 point tractor I have with hyd remotes to the rear so it will have to do.

I have split about 10 cord of oak with it and had no real issues. :clap:

Latest posts

Back