PPE - Helmet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind Walker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I read this thread recently - http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/157294.htm General concensus is a helmet would have helped this fella.

And I followed the PPE for firewood thread and it seems most like me don't wear a helmet for bucking and firewwod but do for felling and overhead work.

I have the Stihl helmet with screen and muffs, but no chin strap. This seems kind of odd to me after thinking more about it. I ride motorcycle and mountainbikes and both those helmets have chin straps. I ride pretty aggesive on both and every now and again take a spill, and for sure if the helmet wasn't strapped on it would come off more than not.

Would the helmet stay on and do any good in a situation like the fella had in the above link?

Almost seems like there should be a strap. I know the climbers wear rock climbing helmets and they have straps.

I've never got to test my Stihl helmet like I have my other helmets.

I guess what I'm after is will it perform it's duty when needed without a strap?

Or should I look for one with a strap?

Mike

I don't see how any helmet design short of the a full-face design like a motorcycle helmet would've helped that fellah. Ouch.

Helmet with straps are mostly for two events. Folks who fall, so it stays with you if you fall. And folks whose helmets may fall so it doesn't clobber anyone else.

I don't see a need for it when you're protecting yourself from other things falling, and you're not doing things like climbing the tree where your helmet may fall off.

Latest posts

Back