Ppe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rakoprtr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey just a curious question what is everyone's favorite helmet to wear? Also prolly investing n my first pair of chaps soon was taking down some 10 - 18 inch gums at my dads place a few weeks ago got my first taste of kickback cought the tip in my left thigh jeans took most of the damage as I had already let off the trigger but still a close call so what chaps do yall recommend

I have Stihl chaps and they work great! A little pricey but they are great! I use my Stihl Lumberjack system helmet also when I am in the woods because of the ear muffs and stuff. If I am in thick old growth or 2nd growth wood I wear my signed Rygaard Aluminum hardhat :) Its is awesome and has everyone who works for Rygaard's signature on it!

PPE is one place where theres no room for skimping. Get the best you can afford. Spending a couple hundred on safety is a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER or worse. Helmets are a dime a dozen but the cheapies are hardly better than no helmet at all. Get a quality helmet with face screen and hearing protection. Side impact rating is a plus too.
I'd choose chaps with a full wrap on the lower leg, much better protection and trip hazards are greatly reduced. Check out the comparision videos on youtube and see for yourself which ones work better than others. Some will stop the saw before full penetration, some will just slow it down and reduce the damage to you.
I use a Rockman helmet and Labonville full wrap chaps. Additionally I have a pair of kevlar cut resistant chainsaw boots with steel toes because the rules say I have to wear them at work when I am cutting. Its not a bad idea especially when using a long bar on the ground. Its pretty easy to nick your foot if you aren't careful.

242474d1340244138-modified-mac-t0001_1-jpg

View attachment 242474

@slowp that's awsome nothin better than ponys and butterfly's while running a big @@@ saw

What's the pros and cons of a full brim vs a forester system with the muffs and screen

full brim keeps the rain from running down yer back... and the forester hat makes ya look like george jetson, plus the "tin" hats are a little lighter than the plastic stuff

Are they?

I just had a couple of bad neck days in row. Such days the weight of a helmet makes my head ache. 600 mg of ibubrofen every 3 hours needed. Too bad the tin hats are not available here. I'd give it a try for sure!

Are they?

I just had a couple of bad neck days in row. Such days the weight of a helmet makes my head ache. 600 mg of ibubrofen every 3 hours needed. Too bad the tin hats are not available here. I'd give it a try for sure!

Yes they are. The bad thing is they are noisier, which you wouldn't notice when running a saw. But when you are walking and the brush is hitting your tin hat, well, it makes a lot of noise. It makes even more noise when your coworker hits you on the head with a stick, or rock, which they may do because it makes a lot of noise....and they are feeling the need to be evil. :msp_rolleyes:

Are they?

Ya know, I have a 2 very nice MacTs. One is a cap and the other a helmet. I'd be willing to send you one in exchange for an autographed picture of my future wife. I mean since she lives just a short distance from you and all.

I have Stihl chaps and they work great! A little pricey but they are great! I use my Stihl Lumberjack system helmet also when I am in the woods because of the ear muffs and stuff. If I am in thick old growth or 2nd growth wood I wear my signed Rygaard Aluminum hardhat :) Its is awesome and has everyone who works for Rygaard's signature on it!

Shane we all appreciate your enthusiasm but giving out advice on safety gear, come on. You're what, 14 years old? How about leaving some topics alone.

Just a tin skull bucket on the -er jobs. The tink sound of small stuff works well to warn you bigger stuff is on the way, and the sound of the rain can put you in a fitful nap at lunch time lol

When sawin on my own dime I just wear my hardhat if fallin trees. Yes I have some eye protection; I wear regular glasses and yes they aren't a good substitute for safety glasses but im aware and accept that and admit I prob should get a face shield. If forced to, I will wear chaps.

PPE is not an excuse to throw caution to the wind however.

Most PPE does keep you safe but even more so it protects the company from you.

I used to be a good speller feller Just been hit on the head by to many branches and one to many booms in the desert I recon

seen some newer aluminium hats lately but they are a little thicker with an extra plate on the top, may still be lighter than the plastic ones, however the gub-a-mint has signed off on em and the old mak-ts and jackson alumahats are not "osha aproved" Whatever... personally I don't wear chaps and should wear safety glasses but once again I am crazy. I do like the sound of the rain and especially hail on my tin hat...

Without being a smart a**, the best PPE is the stuff that you will wear. Make sure you get stuff you like and feel comfortable with.

HELMETS

Helmets should meet the ANSI standard. Most are rated for a single, top impact only. Some (Type II) are rated for side impact - they essentially have a styrofoam liner inside, but are bulkier and heavier. Husqvarna and STIHL all-in-one helmet systems are lighter weight - which many people find more comfortable and are more likely to wear. MSA makes some heavier duty helmet systems, which are also heavier to wear. The face screen protects your kisser, but does not replace safety glasses.

As noted, full brim keeps more rain off in the Pacific Northwest, where it is always raining. Not a big deal in other places. Climbers wear helmets without brims to avoid snagging, and with a chin strap to keep them from falling off. Some people find metal hats colder or hotter than plastic. They also do not insulate against electricity.

If you don't like the all-in-one design you can wear a standard construction helmet ($6), along with ANSI approved safety glasses (not just sun glasses) and ear plugs.

CHAPS

Again, more protective chaps are heavier and less comfortable. If you run a smaller saw, and are mostly cutting firewood from a stack, you might be fine with a lighter pair of 'apron' chaps (cover the front and sides of your legs only). 'Wrap chaps' (wrap around the back of your calves) provide more protection when you are climbing around amongst the wood, but are heavier, hotter, and more restrictive. More layers are more protective, but . . .

Most chaps are more comfortable with a pair of suspenders. Husqvarna and STIHL are widely available. A lot of guys on this site like site sponsor's Labonville chaps.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pilcLXpdJK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OTHER

Don't forget boots!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pequmgt21Lw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a few helmets and a few sets of chaps, and select them based on what I will be doing.

Philbert

Just found a nice old 6-point Mac-T. Geeze. What a bummer. That suspension can't go out far enough for a big ol' noggin like mine without smashing leatherette and aluminum into my scalp. The 4-point is definitely an improvement, style points notwithstanding. I like my old 4-point Mac-T better than my Skull Bucket, but I'm "officially" not allowed to wear it at work. Aluminum full-brim is my preference and I always wear one except on the fireline where I'm required to wear plastic; for that I have a good full-brim Bullard. Full-brim not only keeps rain off the shoulders but also sun off the face and neck and debris out of the shirt.

I fully agree with the statement that "the best PPE is the stuff that you will wear". I'd no doubt have been whanged a few times if I didn't have the option of a tin hat as I'd be looking for every possible excuse to not wear anything at all, rather than plastic.

You can buy some really expensive Kevlar hard hats - resist high temperatures - used in some steel mills and steel erection jobs. What a lot of people don't get is that is that the suspension (those thin straps) is what absorbs the shock of impact. The shell provides some protection against penetration, but distributes the load across the suspension, which stretches (or breaks) and distributes a point load across your noggin.

If a helmet saves you from one good whack, it has done it's job and should be replaced.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back