Ppe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing about mesh face shield was not mentioned-if you wear dioptrical glasses and have cylinders in lens also (due to astigmatism) and/or turned lens axis a bit, under certain light conditions (flat light from low sun especialy) you can find out that you have a "wall of blinding light" just about 2 in from your face. Even worse in foggy or rainy weather. You can see absolutely nothing through it. You must stop, lift up the shield , let the eyes rest for some time, since they can sore quite a bit. 3 D-cell Maglite flashlight from 2 inches is quite comfortable compared to it. You can never experience this, due to mesh size, dioptries and cylindres combination, but if you do, it can be dangerous.
After experiencing this several times repeatedly during few days, I dumped the mesh shields and sticked to safety glasses (over the dioptrical-surprisingly OK, particularly the 3M 020 and 022 models). Not even a 8 gauge SxS double sticked in my mouth with both hammers travelin´ down would convince me (as a glasses-wearer) to pick up the mesh screen again.

One thing about mesh face shield was not mentioned-if you wear dioptrical glasses and have cylinders in lens also (due to astigmatism) and/or turned lens axis a bit, under certain light conditions (flat light from low sun especialy) you can find out that you have a "wall of blinding light" just about 2 in from your face. Even worse in foggy or rainy weather. You can see absolutely nothing through it. You must stop, lift up the shield , let the eyes rest for some time, since they can sore quite a bit. 3 D-cell Maglite flashlight from 2 inches is quite comfortable compared to it. You can never experience this, due to mesh size, dioptries and cylindres combination, but if you do, it can be dangerous.
After experiencing this several times repeatedly during few days, I dumped the mesh shields and sticked to safety glasses (over the dioptrical-surprisingly OK, particularly the 3M 020 and 022 models). Not even a 8 gauge SxS double sticked in my mouth with both hammers travelin´ down would convince me (as a glasses-wearer) to pick up the mesh screen again.

Hmmm. Haven't experienced that yet. I wear tri-lens, and have astigmatism. Only use that rig with a brushcutter.

Do u still have ur face shield since u don't like it I might could help u get rid of it

Thankfully it was not my own equipment so I have no money in this experience, the tooling and PPE was provided first time by my school, second time by the landowner. Usualy I have very little or no troubles using the mesh screen with brushcutter, at least until looking just down on flat up to moderately rolling ground. Once looking up to light and down to shades, the problem arises and with regular chainsaw work, the carnage begins for me. I don´t say it will be the same for everyone with glasses, but it may come and it takes some time to find out what´s on guilt. The first time this apeared, I was quite struck and misconceptioned-as well as was one friend, also galses-wearer. Thankfully it was an easy limbing job at the moment...

Rakoprtr:
Sadly, I´m quite disqualified from those friendly helps and exchanges arising from talks on this well-worth site. Look at my homeplace tag-the postage makes these exchanges worthless.

Same here. 'Progressive' bifocals with a lot of astigmatism. Not saying that it can't occur under the right conditions, but have never experienced it personally.

Philbert

Astigmatism. Can't make a straight line. And in Boot Camp I had to align all the bunks. Woe's me !

Forgot to say-it was about 28-30 mesh, so pretty dense. Maybe with bigger openings it would be better. But haven´t seen such a mesh around.

Philbert:
No political talk here, so briefly: damn right. my own country is still quite well-doing, better than most others so to say due to: we don´t have euro and there are some competent people in our National Bank who managed the exchange policy well. No matter about corrupting government idioticaly rising taxes which brings nothing much worth, just makes the living 2x pricey, ministers who are just weeks in function until their (mostly finance-related) crimes and frauds haunt them or the prime minister remove them from the office for doing what they are supposed to do as ministers and not doing what someone who paid wanted them to do; and the fact, that about over 90% of industry etc. is directly or indirectly managed by 5 "financial groups" led by pre-1989 criminals and 1990-1998 "office desk thefts and stealers" in gross. But people are gettin angry...

I asked a similar question about the best chaps, and alot of people like the labonville full wraps, so I got 'em. I like 'em as well. Not too hot or restrictive in movement. As for a hat, I just use a plastic hard hat from my job. It's non-traditional, but it didn't cost me a dime.
Besides, I will not get run off of a loggin' crew 'cause I'm just cuttin pinyon pine for firewood. (they'er rarely over 20 foot tall) I'm sure the pnw men will get a kick out of that. :redface: Since where I'm cutting is two hours away from a hospital, and it's just the wife and I, I'm all about safety in the woods.

I have cut Pinon, it was like fighting a Hydra.

Fighting a Hydra. Sounds like a couple of Bird Cherries I met today. One of them wanted to send the sharp end of a limb through my face. I do wear a face shield on my headwear, but I hardly ever use it (face shield). It wouldn't have made any difference there, anyway. I ducked.

Personally I think the best piece of PPE is to live in an extended family. Thus you know that in case you end up a vegetable or a carcass, the kids will be OK. I mean, if you are absolutely sure nothing bad will happen in the end, no matter what comes up, you can pay attention to what's going on right now instead of focusing on scenarios fabricated by your imagination. Fear attracts trouble.

A bit aside of the tin and plastic hats. Just my thoughts today.

I have cut Pinon, it was like fighting a Hydra.

I'll try this again. Randy; I have not cut any Pinons, but I have had some good fights with Osage Orange. One has to fight his way thru the knarled thorny limbs to the trunk, not knowing which one will grab you and rip your shirt and hide. All the while leaking its sticky gummy white sap on you and the sawchain. And that's just round one.

I'm sorry for ya Randy, I was think'n that you was cutting only the big timber in the cool country of the fog lands. :rock: Widow makers out of the "hyrda" trees only get to drop 10 to 15 feet before they smack ya upside of the head.
Sage, my co worker from ne Ok. has told me all about the fencelines of osage orange from his childhood home. They sound like good cover for gamebird hunting, but rough for fenceline mendin'.

- - - - - - - - - CRICORPS SKULL BUCKETS

Where are they Made? CHINA
Here's mine just in from CRICORPS via Priority Mail. The Label tells it all. Zoom in and read by clicking view upper left of screen/ click 200%. Remember to change view back to 100%.

skullbucket0061.jpg

Sage I am sorry I gave you bad info re Skullbuckets. All in all though they are probably a better hat than the MacT.

I never gave it a thought 2dogs. It's what I wanted. I put a snap-on sweatband on it. Wore it out to the garden in 109* heat for a test run. Got in the corn rows and man those leaves flappin' against it sounded like a hailstorm. Definately Aluminum made.

Chinese people have heads too! Does not automatically mean that it is substandard quality - most Apple products are mare in China now. How does it look? Fit? Finish? etc.

Philbert

It looks slim and trim. Not bulky and thick like plastic ones. Thus, the crown doesn't have to be as high. A four ratchet suspension system fits great. Looking up at treetops, or down at your feet, it stays put. It's good up to a size #8 head. It's very well constructed. No blemishes, nicks, or scratches. Texture is smooth semi-gloss. My plastic one has been retired as of today.:)
It may be a tad heavier than my plastic one, as I swapped them from hand to hand.

Latest posts

Back