Ppe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDGE1162

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know there are other threads on the subject but based on some recent threads on the board figured it was a good topic to talk about.

Who uses it, how often, what do you use?

Any stories of how PPE saved you or I wish I had PPE on will add to the topic too.

Based on the photos posted on the board very few of us use PPE, I am guilty of it and I worked as a health and safety officer for a while and regularly write health and safety plans for job sites, Yet I find I tend to wear my PPE less often than not.

While I am on the topic I am looking for chaps to fit us Big guys (waist 50" plus), anyone know of a good source, PM me if you want.

I'd like to say "always" but there are a couple pictures on here where I wasn't wearing my full kit at our last GTG, but there's a story behind those pictures. Except for in those pictures, though, I always wear my PPE when I'm cutting. I nicked my thighs a couple times in the days before I wore all my PPE, and I've had chains on longer bars break/get thrown and swing back into my leg. I learned my lessons at minimal cost to myself, thankfully.

So, I wear my chaps, ear protection, eye protection, grippy work gloves, and boots every time I cut. Heck, I even wear work gloves, eye and ear protection (the kind with a radio in 'em) when I'm mowing the grass or blowing the leaves.

Playing:
Dolmar7900Racing.jpg

Working:
FreecycleTree2.jpg

I always wear ear protection - my father was quite deaf (caused by excessive noise), and I learned from this. Recently I've got one of those combined hard-hat/ear defenders/eye protection jobs, and it works really well.

Until very recently, I've been an occasional glove wearer - it has been hard to find a pair of gloves that don't interfere with the controls of the saw. I bought some Stihl gloves with kevlar in the left hand and they are brilliant - highly recommended.

I've got a pair of climbing trousers that I will use for any non-trivial work. I tried conventional chain saw trousers, but they were too hot and heavy - and I ended up not wearing them. The trousers are unlikely to stop an 880 at full chat, but they'll certainly stop a smaller saw.

Boots? Whatever I have to hand with steel toe caps.

My Husqvarna pants saved my knee ,,,
Was clearing a road and had to take out a limb in order to fell the tree, was standing on my toes and one handed the 346xpg and slipped, the chain hit my left knee and teard up the pants but my knee was ok ,,,
I wich those momenst would make me scared, but I think something is wrong upstairs ,,,,

I use protective trousers and boots, and have done so for some years.

I don't think I have cheated a single time the last years......:angel: :Eye: :Eye:

JUDGE1162 said:
...Any stories of how PPE saved you or I wish I had PPE on will add to the topic too...

I use a hardhat, ear plugs, face shield, chainsaw protective gloves, and chaps.

However I know to use these things from reading this forum/books, and watching safety videos. So I *also* know how to safely use a chainsaw in a manner which will avoid dangerous things from happening in the first place! Therefore my chain does not come into contact with my body ever.

On the other hand I know many people who have had chainsaw injuries. They don't wear PPE. But they also have not read safety books, this forum, nor have they watched safety videos. So they also tend to use a chainsaw in a dangerous manner. Do things with cause kickback, etc. These people would have not been injured in most cases if they were wearing PPE.

Stihl "Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance DVD"
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/info_lit_video.html

Oregon "Maintenance and Safety Manual"
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/manual_maint.htm

Hi,

can anybody tell me how PPE holds up to square ground chain? Over here in Germany rumour has it that the cut resistant trousers aren't cut resistant at all if square ground chain is used. However as nobody here uses it then nobody can tell me if that's true or not!

So does square ground cut through the kit or not?

Thanks

Bye

PS I also use cut resistant boots as that bit of space between the steel toecap and the trousers is easy to hit and alway means very nasty hard to remedy injuries...

Monkeyhanger said:
Hi,

can anybody tell me how PPE holds up to square ground chain? Over here in Germany rumour has it that the cut resistant trousers aren't cut resistant at all if square ground chain is used. However as nobody here uses it then nobody can tell me if that's true or not!

So does square ground cut through the kit or not?

Thanks

Bye

PS I also use cut resistant boots as that bit of space between the steel toecap and the trousers is easy to hit and alway means very nasty hard to remedy injuries...

the pants dont care if its square chain or not, it will stop anyway...

personally, i use peltos lumberjack line hardhat (visor, muff's and that flappy thing over your neck to prevent snow getting under jacket) along with sithl's :)censored: ) lumberjack boots and and husq chaps and jacket. I also wear safety gloves...

I use the ppe always when lumberjacking expect on construction site i dont use any ppe (well, got steel-toed nail-proof shoes)....

P.p.e.

I wear the helmet/face shield/hearing protection combo along with secondary eye protection. Leather work gloves, chainsaw protective chaps, steel toe boots.
Wearing proper P.P.E. has been ingrained in me since I'm a machinist by trade. It's habit now.

It all boils down to personal preference, but for me.....all that gear has been developed and manufactured for a reason, so I use it. I figure I'd rather learn from someone elses mistakes if I can.

Regards,
Mitch

My understanding is that the chaps are not meant to stop the chain but rather to fill the tooth preventing a worse injury, in other words they are NOT a chain brake. I only use them when racing and it is required by the show or running the bigger saws while racing required or not.

Rotax

I wear the PPE, when I'm at home or at my job. I did wear leather Georgia fire/logger boots until last week when they partially stopped my ax...:cry:.. 16 stiches later my boss wants me to buy chainsaw boots instead of the loggers. Any recommendations? I've seen the plastic ones from Viking and Husky, but I think they would get hot in the summer. I like the leather Swedepros with kevlar and steel toes, just from seeing them in forestry suppliers. Anybody use them before?

I have to recommend something here.
I have a pair of gloves, made by Ironclad, called Ranchworx.
Best $40 I have EVER spent.
They are sewn with layers of leather so that they are snug, and you can really feel with your fingertips, they have an integrated terrycloth part between thumb and forefinger, great for wiping sweat, and they have perfectly placed rubber guards on your fingers that protect knuckles.
I have worn them all summer, sawing, chopping wood, atv-ing, even shooting. I usually hate gloves, but these things are just perfect.

170521_lg.gif

woodbug said:
I wear the PPE, when I'm at home or at my job. I did wear leather Georgia fire/logger boots until last week when they partially stopped my ax...:cry:.. 16 stiches later my boss wants me to buy chainsaw boots instead of the loggers. Any recommendations? I've seen the plastic ones from Viking and Husky, but I think they would get hot in the summer. I like the leather Swedepros with kevlar and steel toes, just from seeing them in forestry suppliers. Anybody use them before?

Check out MEINDL "Waldläufer Pro" logging boots, really nice chainsaw boots !!!

Rotax Robert said:
My understanding is that the chaps are not meant to stop the chain but rather to fill the tooth preventing a worse injury, in other words they are NOT a chain brake.

Hi,

that is wrong I believe. The trousers and chaps are designed in such a way that the chain pulls long bundles of threads out of the layers without cutting them so that they can tangle everything up at the clutch end of the chain thus bringing it to a stop.

I have, stupidly, experienced this whilst managing to cut into my leg with a 036 with Stihl RS chain full throttle. The chain jammed faster than I was able to react to cutting into my leg. Scared the s*** out of me! Still, no injury to me but three or four ripped up layers in the trousers meaning "throw away time" for them...

Bye

Monkeyhanger said:
... The trousers and chaps are designed in such a way that the chain pulls long bundles of threads out of the layers without cutting them so that they can tangle everything up at the clutch end of the chain thus bringing it to a stop.
That's right, at least for the types that I have seen...:)

......but I suspect that there still are some other types on the market (in the US at least), that doesn't work that way.:(

Latest posts

Back