Pressure Washer Engine Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATpro

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is one I can't figure out.
Got a Powerstroke 3000 PSI 2.5 GPM Pressure Washer with a Powerstroke 212cc OHV engine.
It is almost new and never ran much, let it setup for about a year. It ran fine when last used, got it out to use and it won't crank.
Cleaned the gas tank, new spark plug, took carb off and did a deep cleaning, gas going to carb, still won't crank, check spark plug and it's dry even with choke on.

Take spark plug out put gas in cylinder head and it cranks then goes dead.
Put new carb on, new coil, check engine breather cover to make sure it's clear, open gas tank cap, compression good, still won't crank, take spark plug out put gas in cylinder head and it cranks then goes dead.
The only thing I haven't done is pull the muffler and check for a restriction.

Any ideas on how to solve this.

Air leak between carb and intake port? Definitely a strange one. After everything you’ve done seems like that thing should run like a top.
New gasket for the new carb, gas in the bowl, fuel cap off, still won't crank. Checked and it's getting good fire to the spark plug. About the only thing I can think of to check is the key for the flywheel and make sure it's not out of time and pull the head and check that the valves are seating. Pulled the valve cover and valve seem to be working and not stuck.
It's a puzzle to me!

Pull the air filter/screen & put your hand near-flat across the carb intake - does it suck & pull fuel up?.

Does it have compression?
Pull the spark plug and shine a flash light in the hole. Check the valves. I just had my weed eater (one of the big 22 inch craftsman ones) that spit a valve seat, and caused the exhaust valve to stay open.
Luckily I had an old pressure washer with a bad pump. Swapped the old crank shaft into the new engine (due to it being longer on the output end). Runs like a top 👌
If compression is good, I would look at the carburetor again. I highly doubt the key way broke.

Sounds like a timing issue to me, it has met all other requirements for a 4 stroke to run. It's not sparking at the proper time.
That's assuming all info provided is correct

You say it won't crank?

Appears you are maybe indicating that you can crank it over good, BUT it won't try to start UNLESS you give it a prime of gas into the spark plug hole.

If that is the case, give it a spoonful of primer gas into the carb throat and see if it gives a promise. You may have to crank it over several times because sometimes the engine will be flooded at first and require a full throttle with no choke to get a few seconds run.

If this test gives you a promise to run, your engine is not getting fuel through the carb.

If you will post up the exact engine model, code, type of the engine and the exact model of the pressure washer we might can then give you more exact info. (nameplate information)

I was trying everything simple first before pulling the engine down but it looks like that's the next step. Will pull the head off and see whats going on...stay tune!

a coupla weeks ago I was brought a pressure washer with a briggs with a valve seat that was out of the head. They can be peened back in place for a repair.

I had one I fixed for a friend that sat up with water in the pump and it froze and locked up the plungers in the pump and wouldn't let the engine run because of the resistance, I had to replace the pump. Is it a plastic or metal carb? Are you holding the handle down on the wand to relieve the pressure of the pump on the engine?

Does it have electric start or are you pulling it?

Is the water on and trigger squeezed?

I suspect you are jumping the gun on pulling the head.
You said you put gas in the spark plug hole and it CRANKS for little while and goes dead.
If you mean it runs for little while no need in pulling the head yet. Running for little while indicates it must have some compression.
What happens if you give it a shot in the carb throat?

Don;t forget about the low oil sensors- they go bad, and if the oil is low ( the dip stick is not always a good indicator now days ) you can go nutz trying figure it out.

I suspect you are jumping the gun on pulling the head.
You said you put gas in the spark plug hole and it CRANKS for little while and goes dead.
If you mean it runs for little while no need in pulling the head yet. Running for little while indicates it must have some compression.
What happens if you give it a shot in the carb throat?

Yeah, it's not very clear to me either.

ATPro- Are you saying when you pull the rope it won't turn over, is that what you mean by it won't crank? Or will it turn over, but just not fire?

Haven't had time to mess with it in a few days but will get back on it in a few.
ATPro- Are you saying when you pull the rope it won't turn over, is that what you mean by it won't crank? Or will it turn over, but just not fire?
Yes it will turn over and crank if you put gas in the spark plug hole but won't run.
Really sounds as if it can't draw the fuel up from the bowl .
That's what I suspected at first, but with new carb should have fixed that. One other thing after putting gas in the spark plug hole and cranking it and it going dead it's hard to turn over till you take the spark plug back out and put more gas in and try to crank again, it then turns over like it should and cranks but goes dead.
Don;t forget about the low oil sensors- they go bad
That's something I haven't checked!

Latest posts

Back