Pretty disappointed with this Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
same and virtually are 2 different words....

if you cant see the differences between the 250/290 and the 280...after working on 1...

Maybe working on saws isnt really for you....

if you cant see the differences between the 250/290 and the 280...after working on 1...

:msp_rolleyes:

Way to backtrack

Seriously?

It's a 280. The 290's fatter, dumber and slower little sister.

Put it up for sale in the local shopper paper for 300 bucks.
Some half sober Redneck,with NASCAR stickers all over his home Camo Chevy will snap it up, abuse the crap out of while running box store chain and burning Mercury outboard injector oil....and swear it's the best saw ever. Mostly because his wild thingy got fried.
Damn thing will probably cut 10 cord a year, for the next 20 years, with the original fuel and air filter on it.
The things are perfect for the market they are targeted to, and those folks don't know a clamshell from Spongebob, and don't rightly care.
Of course Stihl is cashing in on the Kool aid. It's what they have.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Can someone please attach this clamshell engine 280 pic that the OP is talking about?:msp_rolleyes:

See now you're in damage control, let's rewind here.

1. I was talking about the 280

2. you tried to be smug and state the 250 and 290 are the same...you even gave the googly eyes.

3. the 250 and 290 while having the same idea. Have virtually zero parts in common, so I would say they are NOT the same.

4. Now to cover your arse and save face you do a double take and state you were referring to the 280 which you were not. Gave me the googly eyes again...

So tell me Obama, what are you talking about??

See now you're in damage control, let's rewind here.

1. I was talking about the 280

2. you tried to be smug and state the 250 and 290 are the same...you even gave the googly eyes.

3. the 250 and 290 while having the same idea. Have virtually zero parts in common, so I would say they are NOT the same.

4. Now to cover your arse and save face you do a double take and state you were referring to the 280 which you were not. Gave me the googly eyes again...

So tell me Obama, what are you talking about??

You brought up the 280 being a glorified 250...that simply not true...

are you saying that the 250/290 dont have almost identical designs?

I think we could get 100 people in here if we try hard enough....where is SawTroll....
:msp_biggrin:

Honestly in this area, it's the perceived superiority of a product because of a decal/emblem.

If poulan stated they wanted to get back into the landowner market and made this saw, Stihlheads would have butchered this ms280 for the above stated reasons. Can you imagine poulan making this saw and having the balls to charge $500!! The 330 is a better saw in virtually every way except for the name, only issue is the oiler is crank driven instead of clutch driven, and it sold for what $300 retail?? It can be upgraded to 61cc, decked, ported etc.

The 353, non pro, can be upgraded to 346xp, better a/v, lighter, can be ported, bottom line a better saw.

The cs520, non pro, better a/v in wood, pro 4-port transfers, lighter, a better package.

I agree the the 290, 039 are reliable saws, and yes heavy for there power. That's what separates a pro saw from homeowner saws...power to weight, construction, and features.

The ms280 is an over priced ms250, a ms290 is a much better value.

ill add another saw to the list if better built, less expensive saws. dolmar ps 540. i just did a thread on it tonight. 54cc, mag case, adj gear oiler, $360.
ill also say your right on about percieved value in this area. like you said, if i saw a 280 and pp330 on the side of the road with a free sign and i could only take one id take the 330 in a second, but 90 o/o of guys around here would drive over the poulan to get the stihl.
of course the best scenario is take both saws, run the poulan and sell the stihl for $$$ on ebay

Last edited:
You brought up the 280 being a glorified 250...that simply not true...

are you saying that the 250/290 dont have almost identical designs?

Face it the ms280 saw is a farce...not even a semi pro saw. That was the focus of the post.

The engine design of the 280 is, and I say again IS a glorified ms250. Let me explain.

Clamshell engine.
open port transfers,

like the 250/290 being the same idea, one a smaller version of the other. The engine design of the 280 is in the same vein as the 250/290/etc. OPEN PORT, CLAM SHELL ENGINES. Would you call an open port, clam shell engine..pro grade??

will the parts swap over NO, just like the 250/290.

LOL, this has been educational. I never knew Stihl made so many plastic clamshell saws.

Honestly id stop all the bickering and grab the old faithful husky 23 compact and get on with professional tree cutting

Latest posts

Back