Pretty disappointed with this Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a name like a 280, I was REALLY hoping it would be a modern 028 Super. Oh well, maybe its a good thing, just makes the 028 more of a classic.

PS: the 280 sucks. Semi-pro is not pro. Semi-pro = homeowner. Only pro=pro.

With a name like a 280, I was REALLY hoping it would be a modern 028 Super. Oh well, maybe its a good thing, just makes the 028 more of a classic.

To me,

the 028 was to stihl what the 55 was to husky...solid, great saws.

I have a 028S runs, compression feels weak..pm if interested

I had clams on the halfshell tonite..you mean nobody knows what a clamshell id...wow seems as though ramrod. is the only one awake here tonite

Hey Sod Man, Do you run any of those stihl saws? I see you have a 365 in your stable, with a real saw like that sweet Husqvarna I doubt those stihls see much use. I own a 362xp with a Big Bore kit on it. I rarely grab any of my other saws. I love my Husky, you can admit it to all of us, your Husky is the boss.

Actualy the 365 is for sale right now. My Stihl saws get far more use then the Husky. I won't knock the Husky but I will say I have three of one brand and one of the other. Guess which one is easier to find parts laying around the shed for? It's also a pain to run to the other side of town, to the Husky dealer just for the one saw. As far as performance I can't tell the differance between my 365 and my 391. The 365 is contructed a little more durable. Metal tanks and handle over plastic but that's about it. Last winter I cut 5 days/week with my 290 and it held up fine. Little bit heavier then the competion is all. The only reason I don't have it anyore is my 391 has more power for not that much extra weight.

Sod breaker

ETA

Work on about 30 a week and then tell me how great those 290/310/390's are...
How about 40 a week? And I still can't complain about them.

I bought a 280 when they first came out around 2002.Weighed 11.4 pounds,3.75 HP,and costed around $389.Not bad power to weight.AV was spongy and they improved that before they discontinued the model.Then one day I was in the woods getting ready to saw some locust for fence post and decided I better tear down the saw and see if it was a clam shell or not.It was,so I decided not to attempt to make any more cuts with it.

PS: the 280 sucks. Semi-pro is not pro. Semi-pro = homeowner. Only pro=pro.

I guess you sell more saws if you say Semi-pro. Some of those little Stihls can't even be called Semi-homeowner! LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

Ive bounced plastic saws plum out of a truck bed before,with no damage.I dropped a 245 Poulan about 2 feet one day and broke the magnesium rear handle.Now I like the old Poulan,and any other old magnesium saw,but honestly is plastic all that bad?

I never had my hands on a 280. I have had plenty time behind the 290/310/390 series though. I think they are a darn good saw. The best.... no, but perfect for most homeowners and the general public. The only saw I had for years was an MS310 with a 3/8 20" bar. I had LOTS of hours on that saw. My friend bought a MS390 at the same time. In all the years I had it, the only think I ever did to either of the saws was a muff mod. Unlike some that only look at numbers on paper, I had plenty of time behind the saw. We both heat our houses with wood. Not really sure how many cords I cut with it each year, but enough Oak to heat a large 100+ old farm house in the Midwest all winter, plus enough for an elderly friend.

Yes, I have repaired many of these saws. Personally, I've never seen an issue with the plastic case or any specific problem. It's usually because somebody ran it too lean or straight gas. It's definitely not a 460, but they're just fine for most people. Mac used an open port clamshell as a pro saw for years. Sure, they are a little more of a pain to work on and port, but that doesn't make them junk. They were not designed to be used by a logger everyday.

I'm also not a Stihlhead. I do like them, but not my favorites. All saw companies made/make great saws and terrible saws.

Ed is spot on. At work our "midsize" saws jump from an ms180 to a 390 and an 046. I have to admit that more often than not I grab the 390 vs the 046 even though the 390's filter cover is held on with duct tape (stupid plastic :msp_rolleyes:). Of course that's only because of the size and weight, but with a sharp chain that 390 can really do some work. So home owner saws arent bad saws in all seriousness, but for the enthusiasts and the DIYers that we are here on AS pro saws are much preferred.

I PM'd you vw about that 028S. One of Stihl's best if you ask me (hence it's place in my avatar).

Last edited:
See now you're in damage control, let's rewind here.

1. I was talking about the 280

2. you tried to be smug and state the 250 and 290 are the same...you even gave the googly eyes.

3. the 250 and 290 while having the same idea. Have virtually zero parts in common, so I would say they are NOT the same.

4. Now to cover your arse and save face you do a double take and state you were referring to the 280 which you were not. Gave me the googly eyes again...

So tell me Obama, what are you talking about??

I think you meant Romney right?

In before lock! :popcorn:

I did a muffler mod on my MS290 and use it in my regular rotation with the other saws in my signature. The Sachs Dolmar 116si is just a bit bigger cc wise and there isn't much difference in power and cutting speed. As far as the MS280 is concerned, I have never seen one let alone run or worked on one. If it is built like the MS290 it is good for it's intended market but I have to agree that $500 is too much money to pay for one.

RAMROD48,

I'm sorry. let me be more clear. You stated the 250 and 290 are the same saws except for displacement, so tell everyone on the forum what parts can be be interchanged beetwweeen thhhe twoooo. Can you uunnnderrstannnnd?

Not the same, but the quality level is about the same, and quite bad - simply appalling saws. :msp_rolleyes:

Actually, the design is quite a bit different, the ms270, ms280 are the same saw, except for piston size and ignition.

The grankcase bottom is metal though, and the av system is totally different from the ms250/ms290 series.

249991d1345858027-ms280-png

Actually, the design is quite a bit different, the ms270, ms280 are the same saw, except for piston size and ignition.

The grankcase bottom is metal though, and the av system is totally different from the ms250/ms290 series.

249991d1345858027-ms280-png

Not to mention the handle design which between the 250/290 are well, the same just larger on the 290...

the plastic crankcase on the 250/290/310/390...that hold the TRUE clamshell design...

Maybe my idea of a clamshel and everyone elses is completly different though so I am willing to listen...

To me a clam shell is any engine that can be removed from the crankcase with engine pan still attached...or assembled away from the crankcase and then attached to the crankcase (tanks).

So correct me, so I can continue life with knowledge of what a clamshell engine is...

Stupid question

To Ramrod and other mechanics,
What is so awful about a clamshell engine? Is it more difficult to seal when rebuilding/replacing? It appears as though it would be much easier to change bearings.
After using 250s/290s/310s, I always felt the shortcomings had nothing to do with the clamshell design. The air filtration and the fact the fuel was so short and harder to access than the huskys.

Latest posts

Back