Pretty disappointed with this Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes the whole engine metal unlike some Husky saws, but it really doesn't matter. Steve

It you are referring to the 350, it does just fine without that insert/shell, but then the upper crankcase isn't part of the cylinder - it is a seperate "bearing cap" of metal, that also works as a mounting base for a "normal" cylinder. You can actually put a 346xp P&C on it, and it still seems to hold up just fine.

The 350 likely is the best "consumer class" chainsaw ever made! :givebeer:

No, but those small inserts/shells doesn't count as a case - the basic case is plastic.

OK so any chain saw that is mounted on a plastic frame means its POS - just asking

PS: how much metal (thickness) between metal and plastic does it take not to be a POS saw

Last edited:
It you are referring to the 350, it does just fine without that insert/shell, but then the upper crankcase isn't part of the cylinder - it is a seperate "bearing cap" of metal, that also works as a mounting base for a "normal" cylinder. You can actually put a 346xp P&C on it, and it still seems to hold up just fine.

The 350 likely is the best "consumer class" chainsaw ever made! :givebeer:

I have to argue that, on the muffler issues alone...:msp_wink:

I guess I must just be really lucky with my Dad's old 350. 2 40$ tune ups and a fuel line in 8 years. Whacked up a lot of fire wood with that old girl. Russ

I keep hearing about the muffler issue and intake boot on the 350, but I've been sawing with mine for 13 years and have so far changed the fuel line, bar and chains a few times, and spark plug.I have never had an issue with either of the afore mentioned failings.I did however have a 2150turbo J-red that rattled loose the muffler and a little piece broke off and seized the saw up real nice.Is that the same saw in different colors?
Now all the a/v rubbers are worn out on my 350 and I will change them one day, oh, and I have to reconnect the kill switch wire every so often.And also, the guy that sold me the saw told me it was Huskey's smallest pro saw.

The purpose of marketing and advertising is to create demand where none otherwise exists. The terms pro saw and homeowner saws are examples of this - they're marketing terms and have no real meaning. Semi-pro is even more meaningless. No one agrees on what features make a saw a pro saw. Chainsaws have become commodity items, and there are a few basic materials and construction techniques that the designers pick from, and these are used in various combinations on all saws. I would say that the various typical materials and construction techniques all can work in general, although there are certainly specific designs that have failings.

If you have particular construction techniques and features you prefer, or materials you don't like used in certain places, I would suggest you look at an IPL before you buy a saw to see if you like how it's made. Relying on vague marketing terms will tell you nothing. This is what I do, and I have been quite surprised in both directions - I've seen what I regard to be really lame stuff in what are supposed to be high end saws, and really nice stuff in what are known as cheap plastic crap.

the 350 is by far the biggest "load" ever made...having done about 120 muffler/cylinder issues ...its the "Ford Edsel" of the chainsaw world, when a chainsaw comes in to your shop in a bag, its pretty straight forward that theres a 350 in it, even if the customer hasnt told you the brand . if anyone thinks that the 350 is one of the best, you clearly have never had a chainsaw in your hand....and the whole "harmonic vibration" nonsense that husky came up with as the cause...what a joke...how about different muffler manufacturers...HELLO!....poulans vibrate more than anything out there, and they dont drop the muffler, poulan should have:angry::angry::angry: team of hand surgeons that do carpal tunnel surgery after you cut a tree down....well done husky...i dont see mufflers falling off of stihl

poulans vibrate more than anything out there, and they dont drop the muffler, poulan should have:angry::angry::angry: team of hand surgeons that do carpal tunnel surgery after you cut a tree down....
The ones with or without A/V? And how does the vibration at the handle relate to the vibration at the muffler on a saw with A/V?

Irregardless of brand, I would guess that 85%-90% of AS members don't cut enough wood in a lifetime to wear a homeowner/semi- pro/ clamshell saw out. The 290/291/390/391- 455/460 Husky will cut more wood than most members will ever cut with proper maint and care. It's the buyers responsibility to do the proper rescearch before making a purchase,especially with tools like AS. Send me that 280 and I'll use it in my wood business for many, many seasons.

Well......that and the intake boot clamp that didn't....... :msp_sad:

Not worse than on many other saws, and not a really common issue. Easy to fix, anyway, and not present at all on saws made after some time in 2006.

The muffler isn't an issue either, if proper mainenance is done.

Irregardless of brand, I would guess that 85%-90% of AS members don't cut enough wood in a lifetime to wear a homeowner/semi- pro/ clamshell saw out. The 290/291/390/391- 455/460 Husky will cut more wood than most members will ever cut with proper maint and care. It's the buyers responsibility to do the proper rescearch before making a purchase,especially with tools like AS. Send me that 280 and I'll use it in my wood business for many, many seasons.

The price differenses between pro saws and the lesser ones simply is too small to make it worthwile to buy the cheaper ones - and who cares about "needs" anyway, proper tools are much more fun to use anyway! :msp_biggrin:

Not worse than on many other saws, and not a really common issue. Easy to fix, anyway, and not present at all on saws made after some time in 2006.

The muffler isn't an issue either, if proper mainenance is done.

Would checking and tightening the bolts after every 20 minutes of cutting be considered proper maintenance?

these saws were marketed towards the homeowner...

How much maintenance does the howmowner normally do on there own?

The MS250 is of equal quality build wise (wether or not you want to believe that is of no concern to me) and they hardly ever need mufflers replaced, and or intakes fixed....

The price differenses between pro saws and the lesser ones simply is too small to make it worthwile to buy the cheaper ones - and who cares about "needs" anyway, proper tools are much more fun to use anyway! :msp_biggrin:

MS250=$299 (Personally I think the 250 is of the 50cc performance so we will compare those)
MS261=$559

yup super close....

Latest posts

Back