pretty echo 301 has issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I recently picked up a really clean, low hour 301 with a 12" bar, I think it sat for much of its life. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel line grommet. It starts great, runs great, but after a couple cuts ,it dies while I'm cutting. Bout ready to give up on it and sell it here to someone who is either smarter or stupider than me. ( that probably covers just about everyone I think). Fuel line and carb seem to hold on a pressure test at 7 # just fine. I have not checked the spark plug yet. When it dies I can generally restart, sometimes I have to use the Choke again. Then it dies again after a cut tor two, and may or may not restart. I bet if I went out to the shop now it would restart just fine. I considered getting an aftermarket coil, but I don't want to just throw parts at it, especially cuz I don't really need a little climbing saw. Perhaps you need it?! Any thoughts?

Diagnose it one step at a time. How is the fuel filter and in tank line? Hows the rest of the fuel line? Have you adjusted the carb to best performance? Is the fuel tank vent working? When it dies, does it have spark? Is the exhaust port on the muffler clear? I have the same saw, haven't done a lot with it, but it's a basic, solid little Echo. One step at a time, don't make assumptions. Throwing parts at it only costs you $$$. Fuel, air, spark, compression.

At this moment I’m suspicious of the tank vent, although I can’t see where it breathes from. I cracked the cap open while running it and it seems better so I disconnected the tank vent at the tank. Seems to run without dying. However, still not 100% sure as its been inconsistent but I’m hoping that’s the problem btw, as I take things apart and look closer it seems like the saw has barely been used!

It should be in the fuel cap. It's a little duckbill, Homelite type vent. Part # is 13131400330 at ereplacementparts.com . Remember there are 2 Echo 301's!!! The older model you and I have dates from 1971-73 and the much later top handle saw from 2001 on.

pretty sure my tank vent is not in fuel cap. Disconnected tubing at tank and it ran properly. However, I think the other end of that vent is possibly behind the flywheel, which I don't feel the need to remove. I may just cut tubing short, and let the vent terminate somewhere in the "still air box". Hope you all are highly impressed by my knowledge of the terminology. ( what the h*ll is a still air box, anyway?)

pretty sure my tank vent is not in fuel cap. Disconnected tubing at tank and it ran properly. However, I think the other end of that vent is possibly behind the flywheel, which I don't feel the need to remove. I may just cut tubing short, and let the vent terminate somewhere in the "still air box". Hope you all are highly impressed by my knowledge of the terminology. ( what the h*ll is a still air box, anyway?)
I was going by the IPL. That's where it's supposed to be. You would likely need to disassemble the inside of the cap to find the vent. This was a common method of tank venting back in the late 60's/early 70's, and it worked until the duckbill got gummy. If the saw ever had ethanol in it the duckbill would likely be nothing more than a solid gummy worm by now.

If you found a vent tube in the tank, then I'd follow that and see if there is a clogged up vent at the end of it. Wouldn't be the first time an IPL applied to one model series but not an earlier or later series!

It should be behind the flywheel, all of the later echo 300 series have the same set up. It is much easier to get to it if you take off the flywheel.

I’ve got a later model 301 sitting on my bench right now. Great little saw but mine started doing the same thing as yours. I can tell the tank vent is clogged so I’m gonna replace it. While I’m at it I’m gonna give the carb a good bath and all new rubber.
It’s a great saw and certainly worth repairing. My 301 and 3450 are the saws I use the most. Unless I’m cutting firewood I really only need a small saw to cut up dead fall, remove low limbs, help a neighbor, etc. The majority of my cutting is done with those two saws.

Does anyone else know of issues with the fuel inlet line from the grommet to carbie? I'm having terrible trouble getting it on without kinking it

I haven’t been into mine for quite a while but as I recall it still has the factory fuel hose. I can’t remember if it is a molded line with an elbow in it or not. If you’re using a section of aftermarket fuel line you could insert a wire into the line, bend it to the shape you need, and then hit it with a heat gun to get the bend you need.

I hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back