Pretty good day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thanks to the arctic blast thats about to hit on Monday, Sales were pretty good today. The phone started ringing about 8 am and didn't stop till 7 pm. I fielded 73 calls and had 38 customers show up, netting me $2,665 in firewood sales. Most was bundles with about 2 cords sold at a 1/4 cord at a time. Yesterday was about the same. Since Nov. 1 till today (2 weeks) I netted $6,430 for this month alone.
That makes spending 2K last week on a new second splitter, all worth it.
If tomorrow is like today, I'll be out of dry wood for the next few weeks. I kinda wish I had more dry wood in stock. You can't sell what you don't have.

Just curious what do you get down there for 1/4 cord? Neighbor of mine says he sells a Ford Ranger load which he measures out as 1/4 cord for $80 which I think is a lot for that amount, that would make a cord cost $320! He has been seeing slower sales this season and I told him that he would because thanks to this plague every other person is trying to make some extra cash selling firewood, lots of people undercutting his price.

Just curious what do you get down there for 1/4 cord? Neighbor of mine says he sells a Ford Ranger load which he measures out as 1/4 cord for $80 which I think is a lot for that amount, that would make a cord cost $320! He has been seeing slower sales this season and I told him that he would because thanks to this plague every other person is trying to make some extra cash selling firewood, lots of people undercutting his price.
I know pricing is very regional, but $80 for a Ford ranger load is about right for this area. No sense being cheap if you don’t have to, there’s no money in it less than that when your truck breaks down or your saw finally breaks down. Delivering an amount like a 1/4 cord is a service worth getting paid for your time!

That sounds about right if he is delivering it. I get $60 for the same but that is picked up here at the farm. It might go to $70 next year.

I would say a very dam good day. I have only hit a $1000 a cord a few times more often $800 and I say pretty darn good , but you are doing really really well. Thanks
Here is the scoop. Houston like most of the country is gripped with a record breaking arctic blast, sending temps down in the single digits. Most of Houston is going through rolling black outs that have lasted days at a time. People are freezing in there own homes with no power and no heat. Meanwhile the downtown skyline is lit up like a Christmas tree and our Mayor is calling for all resadence to conserve power. These office building are empty yet "WE" have to cut our usage. Such BS. Because it's late in the winter season every wood seller is out of wood. I was the last one with dry wood in stock. All the big box stores are out of wood. I opened up yesterday for just 3 hours and sold out. I had cars lined up 12 deep waiting to load wood. I sold out of bagged wood and had to start selling by the stick. In just 3 hours I sold $3,000 worth of wood till I ran out. I finally had to shut it down because they were coming so fast I didn't have time to bring up more wood from the back. I had 260 calls yesterday from people wanting wood. It got so bad I stopped answering the phone. My phone never stopped ringing all day. I have made over $6,000 in the last 4 days. It is absolutely crazy. People were rude, pushy and getting out of control so I shut it down and closed the gate. We never get freezing weather past valentines day yet I have had snow on the ground for 4 days and my pond has frozen over solid. I do have a little wood left but I'm holding that for friends and family. My back is killing me form loading wood so I'm done.

Here is the scoop. Houston like most of the country is gripped with a record breaking arctic blast, sending temps down in the single digits. Most of Houston is going through rolling black outs that have lasted days at a time. People are freezing in there own homes with no power and no heat. Meanwhile the downtown skyline is lit up like a Christmas tree and our Mayor is calling for all resadence to conserve power. These office building are empty yet "WE" have to cut our usage. Such BS. Because it's late in the winter season every wood seller is out of wood. I was the last one with dry wood in stock. All the big box stores are out of wood. I opened up yesterday for just 3 hours and sold out. I had cars lined up 12 deep waiting to load wood. I sold out of bagged wood and had to start selling by the stick. In just 3 hours I sold $3,000 worth of wood till I ran out. I finally had to shut it down because they were coming so fast I didn't have time to bring up more wood from the back. I had 260 calls yesterday from people wanting wood. It got so bad I stopped answering the phone. My phone never stopped ringing all day. I have made over $6,000 in the last 4 days. It is absolutely crazy. People were rude, pushy and getting out of control so I shut it down and closed the gate. We never get freezing weather past valentines day yet I have had snow on the ground for 4 days and my pond has frozen over solid. I do have a little wood left but I'm holding that for friends and family. My back is killing me form loading wood so I'm done.

That's crazy. Are you going to invest the money in some cool toys?

For years people have mocked prepers like me. I have 2 generators and a wood burning stove and a pantry full of food. So far I have not lost power but I am prepared if I do. Remember the old story of the grasshopper and the ant? I'm the ant.
I have been able to keep my house at a toasty 75 degrees this whole time. Even when it hit 3 degrees outside.

My scoop sounds almost like yours with some variation. About three years ago or about four winters ago we had no winter could hardly talk to people as all they wanted was free every thing. The next winter was the coldest recorded winter period in 132 years. People started calling at 7 AM demanding that I take their needs ahead of every one else. Of course prices shot up and every one with a pickup was selling junk for top dollar. Was averaging about thirty calls a day. Then a period of power outages started happening and prices even went higher. Then Covid hit and it seems no one really wanted to work. At the moment prices seems to be about double from three or four years ago. At the moment I am getting calls from people a hundred miles away. Thanks

My scoop sounds almost like yours with some variation. About three years ago or about four winters ago we had no winter could hardly talk to people as all they wanted was free every thing. The next winter was the coldest recorded winter period in 132 years. People started calling at 7 AM demanding that I take their needs ahead of every one else. Of course prices shot up and every one with a pickup was selling junk for top dollar. Was averaging about thirty calls a day. Then a period of power outages started happening and prices even went higher. Then Covid hit and it seems no one really wanted to work. At the moment prices seems to be about double from three or four years ago. At the moment I am getting calls from people a hundred miles away. Thanks
So I spent $2,500 each on 2 generators so I would have power. I spent 3k on a wood stove and 2K on a splitter and 2K on 3 chainsaws. I also spent countless hours in the summer heat cutting and splitting wood. And I'm the bad guy? Where did everyone else spend there money? Fast food, movies, big screen TV's, X box, fancy cars/trucks. It's up to everyone to perp for themselves. It's the old grasshopper and the ant story playing out in real time. You snooze you loose.

So I spent $2,500 each on 2 generators so I would have power. I spent 3k on a wood stove and 2K on a splitter and 2K on 3 chainsaws. I also spent countless hours in the summer heat cutting and splitting wood. And I'm the bad guy? Where did everyone else spend there money? Fast food, movies, big screen TV's, X box, fancy cars/trucks. It's up to everyone to perp for themselves. It's the old grasshopper and the ant story playing out in real time. You snooze you loose.
Did you up you’re prices on those crazy days?

Did you up you’re prices on those crazy days?
Nope! Same price as always. I hate people that take advantage of others during a crisis. Fair market value is fine for me. I'm just happy to have sales at all. It was a slow summer with all the cook offs shut down. I didn't get ahead, I'm just catching up.

No new toys. Well I did buy a new splitter last week. But no I need to pay off some bills and fix and paint my mothers house.
The way I have been working my firewood goes like this. I move my splitter close to my log pile and cut and split and ether throw the splits in a wheelbarrow or trailer then push or pull it to my stacking area and stack. If it dry I let them drive to the stack and load.
But I am switching over to a new tactic. I'm buying all the ICB tote baskets I can find. I have about 60 of them now. My plan is to place the tote next to my splitter and stack the wood in the tote as I split. Then move the tote to a staging/drying area. Then when someone wants a full tote i just load the tote in there truck/trailer and charge them a deposit on the tote so they will bring the tote back. That would eliminate a lot of handling time and make production faster and easier and less work. So I may buy some more totes and a better machine to move them with. Any mew toys will be for making working easier and faster.

The way I have been working my firewood goes like this. I move my splitter close to my log pile and cut and split and ether throw the splits in a wheelbarrow or trailer then push or pull it to my stacking area and stack. If it dry I let them drive to the stack and load.
But I am switching over to a new tactic. I'm buying all the ICB tote baskets I can find. I have about 60 of them now. My plan is to place the tote next to my splitter and stack the wood in the tote as I split. Then move the tote to a staging/drying area. Then when someone wants a full tote i just load the tote in there truck/trailer and charge them a deposit on the tote so they will bring the tote back. That would eliminate a lot of handling time and make production faster and easier and less work. So I may buy some more totes and a better machine to move them with. Any mew toys will be for making working easier and faster.
That's similar to what i do sb except I stack in wooden bins. (1/4 cord) I would like to try totes but they seem to be crazy money around here. Just a question, could you save yourself some time by just throwing it in the tote instead of stacking. I see a guy down the road from me filling tote right off his processor conveyor.

I've thought about that as well. Here I'd have to get AT LEAST a $100 deposit for the tote. I see certain pallet manufacturers charge that for a wooden pallet. Whatever the tote cost me, I'd add $50 at least for the hassle of going to get it, clean it out, cut the opening, etc.

I think a guy could make this work if he advertised it as premium under 20%MC wood, and could offer certain species in each tote. Like 100% Hickory, or Black Locust, etc. If I ever sell firewood its gonna be quality over quantity. My wood will be verifiably well under 20%MC, and in small amounts like 1/3 cord. I'm not interested in trying to compete with everybody who sells 3 week seasoned crap for cheap $$$. Pickup only. You sign the waiver and I load the tote onto your truck or trailer. If I don't think the vehicle or trailer is capable, I'd refuse to load. You'd have to hand load. Whatever I didn't sell I wouldn't care, as it would be a part time gig. Its not paying my bills, so no need to cut costs to the break even point. I'm not doing all that work and letting it season for 2-3 years on my property I pay taxes on to sell for peanuts. No thanks. I think a tote with say a third of a cord of quality seasoned wood with deposit would be around $250 in order for me to want to even do it.

I've thought about that as well. Here I'd have to get AT LEAST a $100 deposit for the tote. I see certain pallet manufacturers charge that for a wooden pallet. Whatever the tote cost me, I'd add $50 at least for the hassle of going to get it, clean it out, cut the opening, etc.

I think a guy could make this work if he advertised it as premium under 20%MC wood, and could offer certain species in each tote. Like 100% Hickory, or Black Locust, etc. If I ever sell firewood its gonna be quality over quantity. My wood will be verifiably well under 20%MC, and in small amounts like 1/3 cord. I'm not interested in trying to compete with everybody who sells 3 week seasoned crap for cheap $$$. Pickup only. You sign the waiver and I load the tote onto your truck or trailer. If I don't think the vehicle or trailer is capable, I'd refuse to load. You'd have to hand load. Whatever I didn't sell I wouldn't care, as it would be a part time gig. Its not paying my bills, so no need to cut costs to the break even point. I'm not doing all that work and letting it season for 2-3 years on my property I pay taxes on to sell for peanuts. No thanks. I think a tote with say a third of a cord of quality seasoned wood with deposit would be around $250 in order for me to want to even do it.
I found a tire shop that does retreads that sells me empty totes for just 10 bucks but I have to get rid of the tub myself. So far I simply post them for free and they are gone is just a few days. The only draw back is they only use a few a week so I have to wait a while for them to save me 8 at a time. I can haul 8 single stacked in my 16' trailer. 16 if I stack them. There only about 6 miles from me so I just haul 8 at a time.

Back