Pretty good day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a tire shop that does retreads that sells me empty totes for just 10 bucks but I have to get rid of the tub myself. So far I simply post them for free and they are gone is just a few days. The only draw back is they only use a few a week so I have to wait a while for them to save me 8 at a time. I can haul 8 single stacked in my 16' trailer. 16 if I stack them. There only about 6 miles from me so I just haul 8 at a time.
That's a great price. I wish I could find them locally that cheap. I bought 20-330 gallon totes and I paid $20 a piece, but had to drive 45 minutes each way to get them. Near me they want around $80-$100 a piece.

That's similar to what i do sb except I stack in wooden bins. (1/4 cord) I would like to try totes but they seem to be crazy money around here. Just a question, could you save yourself some time by just throwing it in the tote instead of stacking. I see a guy down the road from me filling tote right off his processor conveyor.
Yes that would save time but it also takes up more room. A tote only holds 1/3 of a cord stacked in. It would also make each basket inconsistant as each one would be different.

It's so stupid. The down town skyline is lit up like a Christmas tree and no one is even there. Yet people are dying in there homes (ten found dead so far) And our mayor says "WE" should conserve "OUR" power usage. ERCOT has limited output for power plants for political reasons. The wind turbine's are stopped dew to icing and solar does not work when the solar panels are covered in snow and the sun is not shining. So much for green energy. It just doesn't work. Meanwhile Biden cut the pipeline deal and has not even addressed the nation on this unprecedented event. Trump would have tweeted 50 times and held press briefings and declared disaster relief already.

If this didn't prove that Solar and Wind energy aren't ready at this stage to be primary power sources in the US, then nothing will. Maybe in 20, 30, 50 years time, but not at this stage. Even if they were working at full capacity the panels and battery storage aren't there yet to support those kinds of demands. I saw a hilarious Facebook post the other day from a battery powered chainsaw "rep" who kept pushing his brand that's sold at Wal-Mart. Every time someone asked a question he knew he couldn't answer without being outed, he deflected and didn't answer it, or answered it with an indirect answer. Just like a politician would.

Q: How much are replacement batteries?.......A: The batteries have a 3 year warranty

Q: Will it handle 32" trees in the middle of a large cut on one charge.......A: crickets

Q: Are the tools made in America?......A: The tools have county of origin on the tool

Q: Is that a yes or no....A: The tools have a country of origin on the tool

Q: Where do all the used up batteries go?.....A: crickets

This energy stuff is the same way. Everyone says how great it is, but cant find a real solution on how to use it an make it work for a large area.

I find it hard to believe we are using more power during this freeze then we do during the summer heat waves. Yet they seem to keep the lights on during a heat wave.
I asked about this on another forum and was told it has some to do with damage and the inability for power to flow around where it’s needed (in a nutshell)

I'm adopting a new strategy while this arctic blast last. Instead of just telling everyone to come get it. I'm only selecting a few at a time and limiting how many show up. I loaded a trailer with splits and pulled it in my shop so I can bag it up. I'm only allowing a select few as I get wood bagged up. I'm trying to avoid the cluster f#ck I had the other day.

I asked about this on another forum and was told it has some to do with damage and the inability for power to flow around where it’s needed (in a nutshell)
ERCOT is only allowing power company's to run at 60%. I can see if we had a big ice event but this one was just snow and cold. It's a management and political cluster F#ck.

I find it hard to believe we are using more power during this freeze then we do during the summer heat waves. Yet they seem to keep the lights on during a heat wave.

It's about temperature difference. To cool a house from 100°F to 76°F is a 24° difference.
To heat a house from 0°F to 70°F is a 70° difference.

Air conditioning is done with heat pumps which in their temperature operating ranges are more efficient than electrical resistance generated heat.
Heat pumps don't work at an outside temperature of 0°F and they use electrical resistance heating. which is way less efficient.

So the load demand on the grid is way higher than during even the hottest days of summer but a factor of double or triple.

That and the fact that the government of Texas has screwed the pooch in their management of being able to handle peak loads.

The people of Texas should Cruz on down to Cancun and bring that bastard back home.

It's about temperature difference. To cool a house from 100°F to 76°F is a 24° difference.

Air conditioning is done with heat pumps which in their temperature operating ranges are more efficient than electrical resistance generated heat.
Heat pumps don't work at an outside temperature of 0°F and they use electrical resistance heating. which is way less efficient.

So the load demand on the grid is way higher than during even the hottest days of summer but a factor of double or triple.

That and the fact that the government of Texas has screwed the pooch in their management of being able to handle peak loads.

The people of Texas should Cruz on down to Cancun and bring that bastard back home.
Not everyone uses electricity for heat. Many in fact most in my area use gas for heat witch reduces the demand load for power. AC is electric only. Heat uses alternative sources like gas, butane. A heat wave uses 100% electric power. A cold snap uses both gas and electric, and in my case I'm 100% wood heat.

Not everyone uses electricity for heat. Many in fact most in my area use gas for heat witch reduces the demand load for power. AC is electric only. Heat uses alternative sources like gas, butane. A heat wave uses 100% electric power. A cold snap uses both gas and electric, and in my case I'm 100% wood heat.
https://www.cpr.org/2021/02/17/how-...-fuel-a-debate-over-home-heating-in-colorado/
"Republican politicians were quick to blame frozen wind turbines for the problems. Texas power managers have since debunked the claims, saying a loss of natural gas generation was the main cause behind the power failures."

I talked to a friend that lives a few county's north of me and he said in his area people were charging 6 dollars a stick. Now that is price gouging at it finest. How do these people sleep at night? I hope it back fires on them and people stop buying from them. I'll gladly sell wood at a dollar a stick. But 6 bucks a stick!!!! Thats criminal. Stores are selling 4 dollar cases of water for 28 dollars a case. Some people have no heart what so ever.

Except that this is not what has caused the problem.
The panels were covered in ice and snow, and the wind turbines shut down due to temps. The overloaded grid couldn’t handle the extra load. Please don’t tell me you think being federally regulated would have made the difference. Town roads are usually just as bad as private roads. I had a class in a state owned, maintained, and occupied building and the power went out. Not a single emergency light worked. Not one out of dozens. A violation that would cause you to fail a yearly COI. I saw numerous violations that day that private buildings would never have gotten away with. Federal buildings are no better. If the funding isn’t there or the people that care and do their job then what does it matter who owns or “maintains” them. How exactly would bringing in federal “inspectors” keep ice off the panels?

https://www.cpr.org/2021/02/17/how-...-fuel-a-debate-over-home-heating-in-colorado/
"Republican politicians were quick to blame frozen wind turbines for the problems. Texas power managers have since debunked the claims, saying a loss of natural gas generation was the main cause behind the power failures."
Writing an article from a particular point of view is easily done no matter what side of the fence you sit on. Giving an “expert” opinion isn’t exactly debunking anything. How come these rolling blackouts aren’t happening in states that aren’t primarily electric based? If natural gas is the culprit, it seems it should be happening more often. Must be a coincidence.

Cause Cruz is a lineman? Cause the Senate controls the grid? If he was in Texas it would all be better? He is back, but feel free to politicize the issue.

Back