Price on dropping a few trees from a tree service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A group of us maintain an old schoolhouse, which is used as a community center. 5 huge old oaks, 2 of which have roots that are compromising the stone foundation. Price from a tree service to take down, remove stumps,
$3K. It's not going to be easy, bucket truck needed.

So the important question has not been asked: Do you have dibs on the wood?

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm with TreeCo on this one. We just got new people move in to the house next to us. We live in a very nice community with lots of trees. Well, the first thing that the people did after buying the house was to have about 5 big trees cut down in the front yard. I have no idea why they did this, the trees were fine for the people that lived there before them. I don't think that they were sick or anything....it was very sad to see those nice trees being cut down !!!!

Basso
+1. A neighbor moved in down the road and cut down the most beautifiul Bradford pear tree growing on the street. It was threatening nothing and shading both his yard and the neighbor's.

Nobody has been his friend since then and that includes me.:censored:

+1. A neighbor moved in down the road and cut down the most beautifiul Bradford pear tree growing on the street. It was threatening nothing and shading both his yard and the neighbor's.

Bradfords are beautiful trees but require trimming. I had many get chewed up during a storm a few weeks ago. wasn't pretty. was a lot of cleanup work. will be not much firewood either.
A

Why? don't tell me this is sub-ville. It is his ground and his tree to do with what he deems best for him. Didn't sub-ville Inc. attempt to force him to replace it? as he needs that tree on the boulevard to blend in.

This man has 40 acres of trees, and he want's four oversize maples dropped to add on an addition at some point in the future, as his family grows, and he wants the wood now.
If I wasn't 200 miles away I'd help you drop them. Mostly good people in the Gladwin area, less than $100 per tree is my statement. Get with the locals, he(( they will help you for some wood and a party. Biggenius29 plant yourself 20 maple samplings when they are on sale, so you remain carbon neutral.

Why? don't tell me this is sub-ville. It is his ground and his tree to do with what he deems best for him. Didn't sub-ville Inc. attempt to force him to replace it? as he needs that tree on the boulevard to blend in.

This man has 40 acres of trees, and he want's four oversize maples dropped to add on an addition at some point in the future, as his family grows, and he wants the wood now.
If I wasn't 200 miles away I'd help you drop them. Mostly good people in the Gladwin area, less than $100 per tree is my statement. Get with the locals, he(( they will help you for some wood and a party. Biggenius29 plant yourself 20 maple samplings when they are on sale, so you remain carbon neutral.

good idea, im sure he knows somone in the area that could drop the trees for him for maybe a percentage of the firewood. just a thought. but yeah less than a 100 bucks a tree sounds pretty good.

Bradfords are beautiful trees but require trimming. I had many get chewed up during a storm a few weeks ago. wasn't pretty. was a lot of cleanup work. will be not much firewood either.
A

Yep, I got more than my share of bradford pears ringing my property. Self created by the way, pretty flowers in the spring but they do like to split in the wind.

im still wondering why the guy dont do it himself lol hes got a 460.

I know I have the saw to do it, but I dont want to risk my house, and I dont feel comfortable dropping them.

I cannt wait to buck them up though. Someday I will be able to do it. But right now I can cound on my two hands how many trees I dropped in my lifetime. I only started cutting wood a year ago. And sence we moved out here in the country I have had my hands full cutting up up downed wood and cleaning up the woods.

BTW, I had a tree service give me a quote and for the 4 big maples and one larger red oak would have to be dropped in order for one of them to fall. So 5 trees total came to $485.

BTW, I had a tree service give me a quote and for the 4 big maples and one larger red oak would have to be dropped in order for one of them to fall. So 5 trees total came to $485.

thats not bad, when they do the removal it wouldnt be a bad idea to pay attention and you will learn how to fell a bigger diameter tree.

on second thought could i get the opinions of a few knoledgable tree service guys. i will be taking down 8 doug firs about 35 inch diameter, will be easy drops. how much should i charge per tree? i was thinking like 25 bucks

If one of those pecker poles goes the wrong way the collateral damage is far less that a house. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I know I have the saw to do it, but I dont want to risk my house, and I dont feel comfortable dropping them.

I cannt wait to buck them up though. Someday I will be able to do it. But right now I can cound on my two hands how many trees I dropped in my lifetime. I only started cutting wood a year ago. And sence we moved out here in the country I have had my hands full cutting up up downed wood and cleaning up the woods.

You are smart to pay someone to drop them, if you don't feel 100%comfortable. It's not worth the risk of wrecking your house.

If one of those pecker poles goes the wrong way the collateral damage is far less that a house. You are comparing apples to oranges.

you misunderstand me im not comparing, im asking if its a good price. i will be able to do it in less than an hour and make 200$ just would like your opinion.

Sounds like a good deal then, go for it! $200 per hour is pretty good $$.

thats what i was thinking, thanks. i consider myself lucky to be able to do this, i havent been able to work at all since i broke my kneecap. been trying to find easy drops like that, as its all i can do at the moment.

So now you need to find a better deal say $300. Leaving you $185 to go buy a camera so we can see pictures in September of all that wood cut, split and stacked. I'm guessing 5.5 cords

I would jump on $200 per tree. Out here in Oregon, Ive heard of people paying $400.00 per tree to drop it and leave it.

I would do it for the wood if it were a close friend or relative, but I won't take business/money away from the licensed people.

I would offer this advice, pay a professional with insurance; you never know what can happen. For example, when we logged our land a GDF limb plunged 4 feet into the ground and through a phone line in the middle of a forest....could be a gas line, septic or electrical...

Pay a professional. Its aginst the law to pay an unlicensed contractor for services in Oregon.

You will be more satisfied if you have a pro do it.

Go to the top forum on this web-site. Post what work your wanting done. There might be someone from this site willing to do it for you for a good price. Just a thought.

Scott

Back