Primer bulb not filling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gwa000 if you give us the model number of your saw it would help .

Have you ever cleaned the spark arrestor screen ?

sorry for the delay in responding, had the grandkids this weekend so was kind of busy. :)

model number of the saw is 358.360151

Spark arrestor screen has never been cleaned. Usage of saw has probably been 15 - 20 hours total since i bought it around 2003.

Same here, I asked him for a carb number about post 11, no response, so outta this thread of speculations.

gwa000, pls stop calling that a primer!, it’s a purger, and does nothing to effect a prime.

i'm a relative newbie regarding chainsaws so i'm just referring to what the manual calls it, a Primer Bulb. and for starting the engine the manual refers to "Slowly press primer bulb 6 times".

Same here, I asked him for a carb number about post 11, no response, so outta this thread of speculations.

gwa000, pls stop calling that a primer!, it’s a purger, and does nothing to effect a prime.

I don't understand why you feel it's not a primer.

What do you consider a prime?

IMO it is a primer bulb when the saw is run out of fuel, it should prime the fuel line and push fuel to and through the carb. IMO, that's priming the saw.

If you push it while the saw still has gas in it and the primer bulb still has gas in it, yes, it's simply running the fuel through and back to tank, effectively purging.

IMO it is a primer bulb when the saw is run out of fuel, it should prime the fuel line and push fuel to and through the carb. IMO, that's priming the saw.

If you push it while the saw still has gas in it and the primer bulb still has gas in it, yes, it's simply running the fuel through and back to tank, effectively purging.

thanks for the support as far as calling it a primer.
i checked the manuals for my snow blower, leaf blower, lawn trimmer, and lawn mower and they all referred the bulb as a Primer bulb or Priming bulb.

maybe the technical term for people who work on carburetors is a purging bulb but to the lay person it is a primer.

Hey EchoRomeoCharlie , the craftsman saw has a bulb that pulls air out of the carb that is replaced by fuel . Purging the air .

When talking about a prime it usually refers to a shot of fuel into the intake to help starting .

Hey EchoRomeoCharlie , the craftsman saw has a bulb that pulls air out of the carb that is replaced by fuel . Purging the air .

When talking about a prime it usually refers to a shot of fuel into the intake to help starting .

If I'm reading this correctly, priming means filling the carb with fuel so that the saw starts faster and doesn't have to pull fuel through the line by itself using vacuum from the engine?

IMO both manually filling the carb with fuel AND using a bulb that fills the fuel line and the carb with fuel are both doing essentially the same thing. No?

So I still don't understand why it's not a primer bulb...lol but whatever. Whether it pushes or pulls fuel through the line with a vacuum I think is inconsequential. A train engine is still an engine whether it pushes or pulls the cars right?

If I'm reading this correctly, priming means filling the carb with fuel so that the saw starts faster and doesn't have to pull fuel through the line by itself using vacuum from the engine?

IMO both manually filling the carb with fuel AND using a bulb that fills the fuel line and the carb with fuel are both doing essentially the same thing. No?

So I still don't understand why it's not a primer bulb...lol but whatever. Whether it pushes or pulls fuel through the line with a vacuum I think is inconsequential. A train engine is still an engine whether it pushes or pulls the cars right?

no matter what the process is i usually refer to things as they are listed in the manual. again from a layperson's perspective they think of filling the carb with gas (i.e. priming it), not purging the carb of air.

Back