Pro bars on homeowner saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepsifreak28

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 2 of those poulan home owner saws wild thing and poulan pro I use them as limb/firewood saws and real tired of consumer crap bars im looking for a "real" "pro" bar that will fit some moding is ok I have used the oregon and baileys bar selector it comes up with a similar bar that came with it the (single rivet sprocket nose) thats crap also as the tip spreads apart often presenting a thrown chain safety hazard the steel isn’t very good or poor engineer design As I have had several do this I'm looking for a 3/8 low pro im running oregon vxl chain 18" bar preferred

only a few options for those styles bars and none of them are what i would call pro bars. They are of course better quality than what i assume you're accustomed to using. Oregon double guard is the common bar in that size.

In Oregon the double guard is likely what you are calling the non pro. It used to be called pro 91 their higher grade bar with the 9 tooth nose and multiple rivets. I could only find an intenz one in the short time I spent at Bailey's site http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...nks-160SPET041.axd?PartFinderType=BarSelector 16 was the longest in this higher grade Oregon.

I suspect fordf150 could get you a 9 tooth sprocket Total bar. You are a pro if you do it for money.

A Stihl 3003 series bar can be modified, the slot needs lengthened and new adjuster and oil input holes need created. Do not create these new holes near a spot weld, at least not if you only have high speed steel cutting/drilling tools. The Stihl "18 inch" bar will be for 61 not 62 drive links at least for a 6 tooth spur sprocket. It will have a 9 tooth nose, probably multiple rivets at least for the 0.050 gauge 3/8lp. I have some nice Sugi Hara bars for that 041 Oregon mount (Guessing that is what you need) I suspect they still make them. If pro means solid bar with replaceable tip look for Cannon or GB. Not sure about the 3/8lp but the noses on that kind of bar may be able to accommodate up to 0.063 gauge drive links which may have drawbacks compared to a laminated.

The double guard 91 is similar to what came on it with the single rivet nose I run oregon power match bars and hold up well on my bigger saws I know stihl and husky make smaller tree climbing pro saws that use a more durable bar at least I would think they would be more durable Woodland pro makes a bar thats a little better with 4 rivets and wider nose but the last woodland pro bar I got seamed to not be very good quality steel I dont know about a lot of the pro small cc climbing saws and there bar mounts thought a person who repairs/services saw or uses them would know of a good bar that would fit or a cross reference of sorts I'm just tired of replacing these type/style of oregon bars when the rest of the bar is good just the tip spreads so far it either throws the chain or the chain stops because the tip spreads so far the chain wedges between them

If you want a 3/8lp bar from Oregon in 18 length probably it is like I found that means 7 tooth nose and one rivet. Often sold as a bar and chain combination under different product code rarely discussed on here. Stihl bars often are attempted to be sold for more money than they cost at the Stihl dealer. I modified a used 16 inch one.
http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/18-gb-arbor-tech-bar/ This may be a pro bar and it also might just be left over from corporate re organization. Cannon is an option if cost isn't important. I believe drive link count is same as the 20 inch one

I ordered a gb bar from them in the description its sounds like a pro bar hope my current chains will still fit the first 2 pictured that fordf150 posted looks good also do you have any numbers on those bars? there is a lot of people in my area with these poulan saws for firewood also the biggest reason I see a lot of problems with the poulan saws is the restricted muffler and bar/chain issues often the tool less tensioning system issues the same engine is used in many brands of saws and the demand in my area for good bars/chain for theses saws is getting more in demand you would think Oregon would change the design from single rivet and make the tip wider with only a few hours on the bar its total junk I have read about gb and cannon being really good bars I do miss carlton bars but the power match bars seam to be good

2 pictured that fordf150 posted looks good also do you have any numbers on those bars?

total 2 bar pictured is a 16" 3/8lp T677ML3 and at $16.95 i wouldnt necessarily call this a high quality bar but i have had no complaints about them.
18" version is T678ML3

oregon bar pictured is again a 16" 3/8lp 160SPEA041
I dont see an 18" version of that bar

I ordered a gb bar from them in the description its sounds like a pro bar hope my current chains will still fit
If you got the GB 18" bar it is probably 68DL. I have one and I like it a lot. The paint didn't last long but I really don't care about that. I have it on a highly modified 42cc Poulan with 91VXL and it pulls it very well, but a stock Poulan will struggle pulling that (full bar anyway).

Also, not to come off as an ass but it's really hard to rad your posts with no punctuation.

18" version is T678ML3
I didn't see these on your site - what DL count is it? If it could be run with 62DL* then this would be quite unique. The only other 18" A041 mount bar I found with a larger tip sprocket was the 68DL GB bar. I'm not sure if they would sell or not, but it's the thing the OP was looking for and so was I.

It seems most of the larger tip sprocket bars in A041/lo pro stop at 16", probably because those are considered "pro" and that's mainly a top handle application where 18" is getting silly.

*I've noticed that the A041 16" bars are 56 or 57DL depending on the saw - they'll work fine with 56DL on a Poulan but are better with a 57 on the little RedMax saws.

Sorry about the run-on post I was using an on screen keyboard.
The poulan I use has the muffler baffles taken out I have considered doing some porting on the saw but can't locate the porting thread for these saws.
just a muffler mod they wake up quite a bit there was a way to raise the squish/compression but wasn’t able to find that thread either.
I have found that with any bar your not really getting a true 18" of cutting length as many know 18"=16" 20"=18" and 16"=14"
The chains I just got are 62DL http://www.ebay.com/itm/121812917586?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The vxl chains on the OEM bar really cut well and lasted long before needing sharpening

If this is about saws with the K041/A041 mount patterns, there is no lack RSN bars that will fit in .325, and there is at least the Cannon Supermini with the C1 mount in 3/8" lo-pro/Picco (and in .325).

I didn't see these on your site - what DL count is it? If it could be run with 62DL* then this would be quite unique. The only other 18" A041 mount bar I found with a larger tip sprocket was the 68DL GB bar. I'm not sure if they would sell or not, but it's the thing the OP was looking for and so was I.

It seems most of the larger tip sprocket bars in A041/lo pro stop at 16", probably because those are considered "pro" and that's mainly a top handle application where 18" is getting silly.

*I've noticed that the A041 16" bars are 56 or 57DL depending on the saw - they'll work fine with 56DL on a Poulan but are better with a 57 on the little RedMax saws.

not on the site, one of many bars/parts that i have but have not kept up with adding....if it would be on there it would be impossible to find the way my current site is layed out anyway.

so far all of the t677 16" bars i have installed fit with 56DL even though it calls for 57. 57 would definitely be easier when its a new chain but once they stretch a little they fit with relative ease. The 18" bar calls for 62DL while maintaining the same profile as T677 that is pictured above

I got my GB bars today but old chains wont fit I have never ordered per drive links I tried imputing 68 DL in on baileys site for the 91vxl chain but the charge is only 8 bucks? I wouldn't object to buying from someone on here I know many make loops on here the site says 68 DL for the bar does drive link count refer to the tangs that ride in the bar groove or the total tie straps? if any can make 91vxl loops let me know

I got my GB bars today but old chains wont fit I have never ordered per drive links I tried imputing 68 DL in on baileys site for the 91vxl chain but the charge is only 8 bucks? I wouldn't object to buying from someone on here I know many make loops on here the site says 68 DL for the bar does drive link count refer to the tangs that ride in the bar groove or the total tie straps? if any can make 91vxl loops let me know
Drive links refers to the "tangs" that are down in the bar groove and "driven" by the rim/spur sprocket. 68DL @baileys price of $0.34DL comes to $23.12:surprised3:

I can make you up any DL count chain you want.

Drive links refers to the "tangs" that are down in the bar groove and "driven" by the rim/spur sprocket. 68DL @baileys price of $0.34DL comes to $23.12:surprised3:

I can make you up any DL count chain you want.
Do you have 3/8 low profile chain?
I like the 91vxl chain for its long cutters and no anti kickback tie straps Let me know what you have

What kind of deal can you give me on 2 loops of 91vxl that would fit the gb bar and wild thang saw I'm also in the market for some 3/8 lgx chain for a husky running a 20 inch power match bar and maybe a 24 inch loop

That GB bar fits well on the 42cc Poulans with 68DL.

011-800.jpg

Latest posts

Back