Pro & cons to solid bar vs roller tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of the loggers around here use hard tip bars. They are less likely to fail on the job. I do not really care for a hard tipped bar and prefer a sprocket to roller tip bar. I find the hard tip bars to wear out the chain more quickly if the radius for the tip is too small.

A lot of the loggers around here use hard tip bars. They are less likely to fail on the job. I do not really care for a hard tipped bar and prefer a sprocket to roller tip bar. I find the hard tip bars to wear out the chain more quickly if the radius for the tip is too small.

Huh?

A small radius hardnose bar?

Well I'll sharpen up the chain that came with it and use it on stumps and some burrels of oak and walnut I have to make table tops out of. Sounds like the lack of a roller sprocket would be good for that dirty work.

I found a 24" titanium bar online. Ok or stay away.

Last edited:

A small radius hardnose bar?

He could have very well meant a shorter hard nosed bar when using lets say, 3/8". For example my 36" GB Hard Top in .063" has a WAY bigger nose radius that a 16" Tsumura hard nose in .063" that I have in stock, and yes the smaller radius does wear the tie straps faster, if only a small amount.

I also had bar oil boiling in a 20" hard noses' rails the other week cutting a crusty, dirt filled hardwood log. I also put a blister on my thumb through leather gloves from the same bar. Damn that termite dirt...

You go out to the country shops where I am located and a loggers saw is generally a 372,268,288,or 2100 with about a 20" bar that is a large radius hard tip. I am not saying that is what all loggers around my location run, but most of the older loggers run this setup. All the manufactures for bars at sometime made a lower quality hard tip bar that had a small radius at the tip, and if you look good enough in the catalog you may still find some.

Latest posts

Back