"Pro saw" vs. Not quite "Pro"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
For us newbies to high-preformance sawing/collecting (as that seems to be the common bond here), how about some parameters on what a Pro saw is?

Back when we got the first Stihl (the 024super) we thought we had a pro saw. It was/is light years ahead of the consumer junk we had been fighting. Later I start seeing Stihl saws everywhere and realize that they are selling yard-buster saws too.

Years later I go to buy another "real" saw--I go to a small engine shop-JonnyRed dealer. He sells me a saw--the 2145, I love it and it works hard for my needs. Then I get a 2150--should I have gotten the 2159?

Then I come here and find that every make has consumer and pro saws. Every Maculloch, Poulan, and Homelite I ever used was consumer garbage, so I never realized they made REAL saws. A shining example is my buddy's Maculloch "PRO" (says "PRO" right on the bar)--the owner's manual states that the saw is for occasional use only. :laugh:

So where do is the line drawn? And I know where there's an old blue Homelite collecting dust.;)

Heck Fire, I dunno if I offended everyone or if I made the question too confusing with my ramblings. Well, I ramble.

71 views and not one bite.

Got the 024 on the bench now. little heifer won't run.

In alot of the stihls the orange handle is the homowner saw and the white handle is the pro saws,Im pretty sure an 024 is a pro saw and its almost the same as an 026 besides a little shorter stroke and i think bore.The 026 is one of the most popular pro saws.

Main Differance Is Money, Power And Comfort. As For The Stihl's Back In The Good Ole Days Just A Few Years Ago Any Stihl Model That Ended On A Even Number Was Considered A Pro, 024,026,028,034,036,044,046,056,066,088the Ones That Ended In Odd Numbers Were Considered Home Owner Saws, 021,023,025,029,039. They Changed Their Number System Over The Ms System A Few Years Ago. Ms Means Motor Saw In Germany Case Ya Was Wondering Why They Did That. Nowdays Its Hard To Go By Their Numbers Since The Ms361 Is A Pro Saw So The Odd And Even Number Doesn't Apply Anymore With Stihl. The Simplest Way To Tell If You Have A Pro Stihl Is To Look At The Crankcase. If Its All Plastic Its Mainly A Consumer Saw. If It Has A Die Cast Metal Crankcase Then Its Mainly Considered Pro. The Old Models Like The 041 Way Back 20 Years Ago I Would Consider To Be Pro Becase They Killed On Both Ends, The Wood And The Operater............

Thall, how do you manage to do that? The Capitalization Of Each And Every Word You Type Can Make It Very Difficult To Read Your Posts. I guess my mind just sees a capital and tries to start a new sentence. Isn't it difficult to type like that? Sorry for picking, it's just highly unusual to see writing like that.

As for the Pro vs. non-pro, it's mostly the construction methods and materials. homeowner saws will have more plastic, sometimes even including plastic crankcases with little metal inserts to hold the flimsy bearings. Pro saws are typically built to more exacting standards with higher power-to-weight and better materials. Pro saws are designed to be used daily and maintained regularly. Homeowner saws are designed to sit on a shelf and get run once or twice a year with little (if any) maintenance.

Sk Rest Assured I Tant Doing It On Purpose. I Dont Know Why It Comes Out Like That And Im Just Like You, I Have A Hard Time Reading It Too. I Think It Must Be My Com Pu Tor Of My Southern Typing Velvet Fingers.

Trying sumthing different here SK. Lets see if this striagthens up my caps. By the way back on them pro saws I can't speak for any brand but Stihl. They're homeowner models have the entire engine bolted into a plastic housing. Makes them a pain to disassemble. Instead of pulling the jug in 10 minutes you have to spend a hour getting the entire engine out of the plastic housing. Hey now there's a reason to go Pro. Lets see how this looks on post now, crossing my fingers it stops capping every word, here goes..

Bingo, problem solved, thanks for pointing that out SK, I was wondering why it was doing that myself. I piddled with my fonts and now its working right, wedogggggggggie...

skwerl said:
Pro saws are designed to be used daily and maintained regularly. Homeowner saws are designed to sit on a shelf and get run once or twice a year with little (if any) maintenance.

I don't think there is any manf. design time put into more or less maintenance, or to sit on a shelf... pro and consumer saws require exactly the same maintenance (minimal).

Thank the higher powers that Stihl hasn't put plastic crankcases on their consumer saws.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Do a search on here for "homeowner vs. professional." This has been talked about at length...
Jeff
I know yall don't think I search before I start a new thread--but really I do. Just didn't search enough different terms. I unnerstand that A TON of what I want to discuss has be hashed before. I don't mind one bit being re-directed to the previous hash. Maybe I'll get better at finding it.

I wasn't really questioning the 24. The mill where I sold cedar was running 028's at that time and my uncle had a 32--all of the same generation of saws. I ran the 032 a few times, it wowed me with the power--but my boney arms didn't like toting it--not for eastern red cedar.

Hash on.

Wade now that ya memtion them 028's theres a saw I would call Super Pro Ditty Fied. Them things are built like a tank and seem to run forever if ya maintain them. One of my personal favorites.

Lakeside, I was referring to things like air filter access. Many pro saws have easy access snap clips that can be opened and closed thousands of times without wearing out, providing fast, easy access to the air filter. Many Poulans and Homelites have self threading screws tapped into plastic cases holding the cover over the air filter. After removing and replacing those screws a dozen times, the plastic starts wearing thin and may strip out. Then you can't secure the cover without Jerry-rigging a fatter screw or something.

That's what I meant by "Pro saws are designed to be maintained regularly".

don't think there is any manf. design time put into more or less maintenance, or to sit on a shelf... pro and consumer saws require exactly the same maintenance (minimal).
I agree.
I also think The original poster was tlaking about saws like the stihl 029, husky 345, etc. Not Walmart bought Woodsharks and the like.

skwerl said:
Lakeside, I was referring to things like air filter access. Many pro saws have easy access snap clips that can be opened and closed thousands of times without wearing out, providing fast, easy access to the air filter. Many Poulans and Homelites have self threading screws tapped into plastic cases holding the cover over the air filter. After removing and replacing those screws a dozen times, the plastic starts wearing thin and may strip out. Then you can't secure the cover without Jerry-rigging a fatter screw or something.

That's what I meant by "Pro saws are designed to be maintained regularly".

Sorry, my comment should be limited to Stihl... I forgot consumers bought other brands:D

hahahahahahaha, nope it didn't come with batteries. Like everything Poulan makes it was lacking sumthing, but hey I made up da differance,:D :D :D

Back in 79 I sold Homelite and the little EZ was a hot item. I sold it for $129. All at once the chain stores had it for $89.95. I told the distributer to get the Homelites off my floor plan as soon as possible. This is what was told to me about consumer verses professional saws. The chain store brand had bushings for bearings and were purposely designed for 50 hours or two years. The saw the dealers had had needle bearings and some of those saws are still running. I went to Lombard from Homelite, which is now history, but I still got two old lightnings still running.

Latest posts

Back