You all tried to warn me: Upgraded to a pro-saw - MS362C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any Stihl pro saw is a fairly sure bet, you pretty much can't go to far wrong. Its more about finding what saw suits your needs best. But the 462 just defies the trend stepping on the toes of saws both larger & smaller displacement saws in the pro class. Mainly due to its power to weight ratio. Going from a 290>362 is a bigger upgrade than going from a 362>462.

Congrats on the purchase! I have a 036 pro and an MS260. That 036 just simply has grunt to it the 260 does not! The 036 is the 362's grandpa I guess....but I imagine they feel similar. I'nm sure the 362 is lighter and a bit stronger than the 036. I really think you will be happy with your decision! Those big oaks will be firewood in no time!

Congrats on the purchase! I have a 036 pro and an MS260. That 036 just simply has grunt to it the 260 does not! The 036 is the 362's grandpa I guess....but I imagine they feel similar. I'nm sure the 362 is lighter and a bit stronger than the 036. I really think you will be happy with your decision! Those big oaks will be firewood in no time!
Way better AV. But doesn’t look like something you can rebuild over and over like a good ole 036.

Y'all are a rough crowd! I have a 261 m tronic and a new 462 and a handful of other saws and I STILL want a 362!!! Hahahaha!!! 28" might as well get a real torque saw anyways! Bahahaha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the 462 love, truly. I probably should have bought the 261, to be honest. But, I'm comfortable with the choice I made.

And you should be. The 290 served you well. Its a good all around workhorse. Only pixies and pink hats complain it's a little.......... flabby.
Men don't care lol. You got an upgrade. Be happy with it. Remember, wanting is always better than having.
If you need to lust over something, MS500 is coming.

Y'all are a rough crowd! I have a 261 m tronic and a new 462 and a handful of other saws and I STILL want a 362!!! Hahahaha!!! 28" might as well get a real torque saw anyways! Bahahaha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
My dealer has one 461 left on the shelf. Do I need it after just buy-in a 462 a couple of months ago? Do I want it? He!! Yea.

I converted my 362 to run the same bar and 20'' chain that both my 290 and 261 run (.325 instead of a .3/8 chain) and man oh man does it cut better with a thinner chain. All it takes is a different sprocket and bar set up and it will cut even better.

Whew! Knocking off for the day, but... Wow, what a machine!

So smooth! The AV is very impressive. My fatigue is from wrestling logs, not running the saw. Cuts with authority. The M-tronic seems to idiot proof things. Doesn't really matter how bad I dig the saw in, it just compensates and eats and eats.

I nursed my way through the first tank on smaller limbs, nothing more than 8" diameter or so. Then, I put the 25" bar on and got into bucking the big stem pieces of some red oaks for the rest of the day. Used up 4 tanks of gas this afternoon, and made quite the pile of sawdust. Man, this has been a revelation!

I nursed my way through the first tank on smaller limbs, nothing more than 8" diameter or so. Then, I put the 25" bar on and got into bucking the big stem pieces of some red oaks for the rest of the day. Used up 4 tanks of gas this afternoon, and made quite the pile of sawdust. Man, this has been a revelation!

Yup, pretty unbelievable what you’ve been missing, eh?

That’s why many of us prefer particular saws, most of which are “pro” models. Those other ones cut wood, but it’s just not the same.

I don’t even have to ask you what the revelation was...

PS, put the smaller bar back on :chainsaw:

Another day's cutting ahead! I touched up my chains last night and I'm heading back to my Dad's in a few to finish up his trees.

The 25" bar has one more big stem to get through, then it will be back to the 20" bar to finish up the rest of the limbs.

Yesterday removed any doubts that I may have had about not getting the 462. That would have been too much saw for being my general-purpose saw.

Oh, I'll add on something smaller one of these days. Maybe I'll add a bigger one, too. But for now, this 362 is hitting the bullseye!

On a side note, check out this old dinosaur that we still have around - and use on occasion - from my grandfather. He bought it sometime in the 60s, we think - at least as well as anyone can remember.

It still starts in about 5-6 pulls when cold, and fires up in 1 or 2 pulls when warm.

But, this saw is what got us all started with Still.IMG_20190601_145805.jpg

Alrighty! Mischief managed and everything that needed sawing got sawn.

The 362 has noticably built power as I've run it. After tank #5, it's really coming into its own. It's now gracefully running the 25" bar, and it's unstoppable with the 20".

Now, I'm gonna go take a nap. Looks like we've got a lot of splitting to do!

He can always get the 362 ported! I’ve got a 361 next in line on my bench now with a goal to beat a stock 440 through 18” wood. (Have to finish my parts bin Ported 3400 first) I was gonna sell the little guy but seems like too fun a project to pass up.
I think you bought the best saw in the world for a non pro that does some real work now and then.

That is what I have, ported 362, and it is bad to the bone.

Back