Problem starting my MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338RUM

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I took my Ms440 out for a test drive today. For the life of me, I can't start this thing. Every time it turns over the decomp valve pops up and jerks the starter rope out of my hands. What am I doing wrong? My Ms260 started withen three pulls... After 10 mins and really sore arms, I put the damm saw away! Any info would be a great help, I must be doing something wrong for sure.

Thanks,

Duane

Sounds like you may have flooded it, did you put it to half choke after the first time it fired?, i use these saws for felling on my training course and never had a problem with starting. check the spark plug and see if it is soaked with gas, the plug is soaked let it air dry and crank the saw over with the kill switch in the off position until the chamber clears itself of fuel then try again

Ross, it never fired the first time with the choke set to full... The decomp valve pops up after the started cord is only 10" out, which stops me from pulling any further...

Duane

Assuming you have just purchased did the dealer start it up before it left the store? if not i would take it back and tell the store owner what is going on with it and ask him to get it sorted as something is not right

Sounds like the decomp valve does not function properly. Have you tried to start it without using the valve?
Anyway, take it back, as Ross said.

The dealer should have started it, and made sure the carb was properly adjusted before it left the shop. He also should have told you to come back for a re-tune after breakin of the saw.
If he didn't, he is no proper Stihl dealer. :rolleyes:

The guy at the Stihl shop did start the saw and adjust the carb. He had no problems. I don't know if he used the valve to start it or not. Maybe I am just an idiot when it comes to saws. I had no trouble with the 260.... I should be able to get a saw to fire with the full choke on, then move up to the med choke, then blipp....But no go with this so far...

Duane

You can try to start it the switch at the normal operation position. If saw is OK (carb and pulse line) then after some 10 puls it should start at room temperature and idle. ;)

As soon as the decomp valve pops, switch it to half choke.

Also try pulling a little until you feel pressure, then give it a good pull.

So I always start my saw the same way when cold....

Chain break on, full choke, press decomp valve, keep pulling until decomp valve pops, switch to half choke, press decomp valve, then usually starts up withing a couple of pulls.

If I don't switch to half choke after decomp valve trips 1st time, it will flood.

When warm, I start it in half choke position.

Billy_Bob said:
As soon as the decomp valve pops, switch it to half choke.
As I read it, his problem is that the valve closes before he has the chance to pull the piston over even once, and messes up his pull. That is why I suggested that he try without using the valve. That way it should not suddenly be more resistance in the middle of the pull....

.....and there is no "halv choke" on a chainsaw, the position you refer to
is "fast idle".

Billy_Bob said:
When warm, I start it in half choke position.
It should not be necessary to put a well tuned and warm saw at fast idle before starting. Running position is enough, and more convenient at least on Stihl saws with that :angry:
:Monkey:-invented combination switch. You also avoid the running chain after restart that way.

Last edited:
By the way...

...for a moment I thought I had a somewhat similar problem last saturday, after taking my 361 out of a couple of weeks storage in the shed at our cabin.

The rope refused to be pulled out more than about 8". :eek:
I soon figured out that nothing was really wrong though, except that the rope had been quite wet when put to storage, and the temp. had been freezing in the meantime. I pulled the rope slowly all the way out a couple of times. End of problem. :)

Thanks guys for all the great help, I'll try it again when all this snow stops. I will be playing with the snow blower first!

Duane

Back