Problem starting poulan bicentenial

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
You guys have helped me put this saw together with some good advice so here is another request for more advise. I have rebuilt the top end on this saw. It has close to 150-160 PSI. The fuel line, fuel filter, and air filter are new. The carb was rebuilt. The saw was given to me and probably did not see a lot of use. Here is the problem: if the saw sits for any long period of time (more than one or two days) it will not start without using starting fluid. I know I should not use starting fluid. I have the owners manual and followed the starting procedure exactly. the carb has been adjusted according to the manual also and the settings are not far from what the manual calls for. Any suggestions?? Thanks Jim

Jim,
Symptom sounds like the carb is having a problem with its diaphragm sucking up fuel after it empties. I know you stated it was rebuilt, but you may want to make sure the gaskets are in the correct order and that the float level is set right as well. I assume it runs normally after it has been started and will run through a complete tank of fuel. If this isn't also verified, make sure the tank vent is working. The carb can't suck fuel if there's a vacuum in the tank because the vent is not working. With a new fuel filter and line, its probably safe to rule these out, but still there's a chance the line has a split or small hole somewhere.

Good luck,
Dan

cut4fun
The saw is the saw you posted. I changed to a 12-inch bar, chain, & clutch because the 12-inch chain was almost new. The saw does not look anywhere near as nice as the one pictured.
I haven't noticed the vent for the fuel tank. I assume its in the cap. I will try to clean it or replace it with another. When I disconnect the fuel line from the carb with the cap on tight fuel flows freely from the line. How do you adjust the float? I did not see a lot of room to work with in the carb. The gaskets were checked twice and carefully put back on the way they came off. I haven't run a full tank thru it yet, but when it starts it stays running, can be restarted, and seems to run OK. When I try to start it I put the choke on, hold the throttle wide open with my right hand, and pull the starter with my left. It's supposed to fire and then I'm supposed to open the choke and pull again. It is not firing with the choke and I do notice the smell of gas. Anymore suggestions? Thanks Jim

Please post a pit of the saw. Also this little guys are easy to flood. I coke mine, get the pop. Move to half way and till it fires off. If you miss it and trigger it, them seem to flood out. Mine starts after sitting though. Check your gaskets on diaphram, might be backwards. make sure the little hole on the metal part that goes over the diaphram isnt plugged up. if you ever want to get rid of it and nobody has spoken for it. I would like first chance at it. Please post us a pit.

Back