Problem with bark on maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citrite

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just another hack trying to figure out if my maple tree is on its way out. I'm pretty sure it's an autumn blaze. We bought our home here in middle TN two years ago and this "wound" at that point in time looked like somebody might have hit the tree with a lawnmower and busted some of the bark. I'm used to watching how bark heals over in time and that is what has me thinking that this is something else. I tried attaching some JPEGs but the size limitation prevented me from adding them. Any recommendations on what I can do to get the pics uploaded?

Thanks!
Bill

Hey Bill, welcome to the site.

I can tell you what I do for photos. There are probably other ways as well.

I open the original sized photo in Paint, select Image, then Stretch/Skew. I then opt for 25 in the Horizontal and Vertical boxes. Save.

Be sure to do this with the originally sized photo or it may come out too small. You want to shoot for something in the 100 to 200 kB range (it seems to me the closer to 200 is better).

Good luck and looking forward to your photos.

Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia, pics are attached.

FWIW, this tree has been on the docket since we moved in for a transplant further back on the property. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not the tree would survive a transplant or should I end its misery now. After looking through some of the other threads here it would seem that many maples (non-Japanese) are prone to a variety of issues. I would just as soon as look at another tree or put a nice large crape myrtle in the location where I was planning on moving this one rather than dealing with a potential project/headache. Especially because this tree is young and only stands at about 10-12' right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance you can provide.

That's the soputh-facing side, right? Sunscald damage. Check the base of the tree and attach a picture of the primary roots coming off the trunk. That will say alot about feasibility of moving it.

Crepemyrtles are tough but way overplanted. Pest problems pursue overp[lanted species. Plant a shade tree!

Bill, that is a substantial amount of damage on your maple. It will lose most of its root system in the transplanting, but whether or not it will survive the transplant may almost be a moot point. It may survive, but...

It does serve as a reminder to protect the trunk of any new tree you plant.

If you are looking for a flowering specimen to plant, you may want to consider something like the Goldenraintree, Koelreuteria paniculata, which reputably has many less issues than a crapemyrtle.

Sylvia

Yes, that's pretty much South-facing, here are a few more pics so you can see the overall size of the tree as well as the roots (or lack there of) at the surface.

Y you can see the overall size of the tree as well as the roots (or lack there of) at the surface.

Check the base of the tree and remove surface dirt and mulch until you get to the primary roots coming off the trunk. That will say alot about feasibility of moving it.

Latest posts

Back