Problem with splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just installed a new 6.5 hp. motor on my splitter and it still takes forever to split wood. 1.could the pump be going bad! and 2. should the hyd. oil be foamy.

no, the oil should not be foamy.

what kind of pump is it? shoudl be numbers on it.

foamy oil is usually a sign of a leak in the suction line, but can be cuased by a BUNCH of other things.

ok, so what diameter is the ram? how far does the ram move????

if you give either the inner cylinder diameter, or the outer outside casing diameter, we can make a guess to the rest.

Foam always not good. Make sure there is no restriction in suction, old hoses are known to come apart from the inside and create a flapper inside could restrict flow and cause pump to cavatate. Make sure hose to pump is as large a diameter as it can be so as not to make the pump (if it is old)have to work hard for it's oil. Cheap and easy check anything after that can add up quick.

Last edited:
DRMILLER: 4" x 24" stroke ram will split wood but it takes about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to split. when first started it was real jerky in its movement seemed to smooth out after a while but oil looked like nothing but air bubbles.

from the symptoms, almost for sure a leak in the suction line letting air into the suction.
possibly just not enough oil in the tank though. is the tank full with cylinder fully retracted?

another vague possibility is a restriction somewhere on the pressure side. It woiuld be something obvious though like spool not being fully actuated, crimped line.

so you start the engine, let it warm up. move it full throttle. Now start moving the cylinder. Does the engine load down hard with a large change in tone? Does the engine barely make any change in sound?

if the engine makes no change in sound when you move the cylinder, almost totally for sure a leak in the suction line or not enough oil in the tank.

Foam in the hydraulic fluid will cause all sorts of problems. Think of the foam as a sponge while it looks like a solid object ,it will compress to a faction of it's size. Foam also does not flow well through the hoses.
Foam is caused by air or water contamination of the fluid. There could be an air leak in the suction line, clogged strainer in the tank, low fluid level,water in the fluid, or wrong fluid.
Find the cause of the foaming first. Foam can damage a pump quite quickly.

Splitter Problems

Foam is usually a sign that water has gotten into the oil. If you leave your splitter outside, cover it up. Change filters and the foam will generally go away. Make sure the oil is up to the proper level, usually one inch from the top when the engine is off and the splitter is on level ground.

Foam=not good

Also check the valve. My ram started working real slow after I changed out the hydro fluid. Turns out I must have loosened up some varnish or debris on the inside of the tank. I don't have a filter, yet, and it got into the valve and REALLY slowed it down.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back