Problems Starting 028AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spike60 said:
Vernon;

Any shop that knows what they are doing would have automatically checked the carb adjustments after replacing a bad fuel line. If it doesn't adjust out, then the screen in the carb is likely dirty.

Fish;

You have got to finish that story about the lawyer and the blade bolt! How did you handle the guy when he came back? Pleeeeeeeease say you didn't cave in to the jerk!

And an $8 EV fee is just plain stealing. I agree with Sap on this one! Shops like that are why people are wary when they walk into the store for the first time. Sometimes I just ask them straight out if they have had a bad experience somewhere. And they tell me stories like Vernons'.

Well said. 8 bucks to toss a old fuel hose and filter in the trash can is bull to me. I wonder if you asked for the old parts to take home if they could still charge the fee, makes ya wonder. Sap would have been just the guy to striaghten out that 8.00 bullschit fee and I would have backed him 100%.

I does cost us $3.50 a gallon to get rid of the old gas. We dump all old gas in repair saws before any work; surprising just how much we accumulate in month. Oily rags just go out in the garbage; no charge from the state for those (yet).

I figure its in our overhead, so why aggravate the customer with the "nickel and dime" crap.

Lakeside53 said:
I does cost us $3.50 a gallon to get rid of the old gas. We dump all old gas in repair saws before any work; surprising just how much we accumulate in month. Oily rags just go out in the garbage; no charge from the state for those (yet).

I figure its in our overhead, so why aggravate the customer with the "nickel and dime" crap.

I completely agree, Lake. A business needs to recover it's overhead costs, but it should all be figured into your labor rate. A list of insulting "fees" on the bottom of the bill only gives the customer the feeling that he is being banged. A common one is "shop supplies", usually carb cleaner or rags and stuff. But where does it stop? Do you charge the customer 3/10 of a kilowatt hour 'cause you used the drop light? How about a fuel oil fee when you work on stuff in the winter and the heat is on?

There is actually a clown near me who charges, in addition to parts and labor, a $10 "bench charge", just to put your saw on the workbench. Crooks like that are why some guys on AS use the term "stealerships", and they are 100% correct.

They say that "word of mouth" is the best form of advertising, but the second best is when my local competition is a crook who drives his customers through my door.

I showed the shopowner, and the broken bolt with the jb weld gooped on it, and he called the lawyer and confronted him about the find, the lawyer
didn't admit to any guilt, but didn't contest it, {Alford plea?}
The shopowner set him up for a worse case scenarios on the cost for
bolt extraction, and gave him an estimate, and I fixed it........................

to be told later................................................

I like what "lesorubcheek" (ok, dude, what's with THAT handle?) says. There's wisdom in knowing your limitations and when to just take it to "the man," However, knowing the basics (spark plugs, carb adjustment, air and fuel filters) is indispensable. The mountain of burnt-up chainsaws is increased daily by those folks who think that the carb adjustment done during summer on a 95 degree day is going to be good enough to whack up some firewood on a 28 degree November morning.

Back