Problems with Huskvarna and it's new T540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newmexico

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, I got one finally. Excited I put the bar and chain on it and started it up- Took awhile to get it started, but hey, new saw there might not be fuel in the lines.

Got it started and--it won't get up to RPM.

It idles and starts ok, but when the throttle is applied it bogs down. Hey, it's an auto tune I assume- it's just getting itself figured out is what I'm thinking. I can nurse it up to rpm, and cut some little wood. sometimes it takes playing with the choke to get it to rev up but I can do it and proceed to go through a tank of gas. I can take the filter off and see that it's spewing excess gas out the back of the carb, can get it to rev sometimes by limiting the air that goes into the secondary intake. (it has two intakes under the filter one that the choke lever operates the butterfly valve, the other that the throttle actuates.)
Well it still hasn't learned anything, persistent problem out of the box is that it flat out won't run right... I tried Huskvarna's toll free customer support number and the rep told me to take it to the dealer in town. I take it there and they say we don't really deal in Husky stuff and don't have the equipment to hook it up for diagnostics. I'm not going to drive two hours to the place where there might or might not be a dealer with the equipment.
I tried contacting Huskvarna through their website (no response yet two days later) of course though, the one site that allowed me to enter information was the Huskvarna Indonesia website.

I think it's a carburetor/ computer autotune module issue and would love to just bolt a replacement on to see if that's it.
Actually, I just want to send the whole saw back for a new one.

I guess I'll try contacting the site sponsor who I got it from to see if thay can do anything but really don't like that route as they are not responsible for a saw from huskvarna that doesn't run.

Here is a video of the saw in non-action

anyone have any suggestions on how to get hold of someone at husqvarna that might actually give a hoot that one of their new saws is basically what I would consider a 'lemon' and that might want to know that there is a potentially huge problem. I know that if more of these saws have this problem a lot of folks are going to stay with Stihl for their top handle saws (or switch from Husky to either Stihl or another manufacturer.

Rant over

Sorry for your problems... Just an observsation, Christmas to New Years is the worst time to get ahold of a manufacturer. Even when you do the first thing they will do is refer you to an authorized dealer.

Now you understand why that other brand gets away with selling a weaker lineup- better dealer network.

HF

Nothing I won't work through, I don't have to have the saw running right now. still have a pretty trusty 338, but was really looking forward to running this one. Patience now might be the key, Eventually I'll get someone that will want to get this saw back for diagnostic purposes.

Wonder if Husqvarna would send me this http://cdn.power.husqvarnagroup.com...als/Manual_Engine_Diagnostic_Tool_English.pdf
Still no luck finding any local dealers that can help me-- granted today was Sunday and the next closest dealer was closed. I did walk into Lowes but after looking at their line of Husky's decided not to even ask if they had the capability to diagnose a new release autotune saw.. it woulda been a waste of my time I'm sure. I'm going to contact XXXXXXXXXXXXX (who sold me the saw online) tomorrow and seek their advice. I'm hoping that I can send the saw back to them for repair or replacement. it should fall within warrenty I'd assume so hopefully Husky will cover all the costs.. We'll see I suppose.

Last edited:
Have you placed an eye on each fuel line connection? You must be real frustrated to wait years on a saw only to have it mess up... but hey in time it will be worked out... good luck

Have you placed an eye on each fuel line connection? You must be real frustrated to wait years on a saw only to have it mess up... but hey in time it will be worked out... good luck
yeah, without busting out torx wrenches all looks good. I'm sure I could pull the carb and verify, but I'm hesitant-- being anew saw I don't want to do anything that might come back on me where they say, ---- YOU messed it up.

What does the manual say on proper initial startup and setting?
It's the standard manual that comes with all saws.. don't sit on the limb that you're cutting.. wear a hardhat, use wedges, 1/3 face cut... etc. on startup cold press primer bulb till there is fuel in it. activate choke, pull till it pops, disengage choke, pull till it starts...

every other new saw that I've ever started seemed to work, old saws sometimes develop problems and can be diagnosed. I love auto tune when it works, my 441 is great, well even it sometimes dies after an extended cut but it fires right back up and right. eh, might have to take that one to the stihl dealer-- it shouldn't do that, plus I'm curious as to what their software has to say about high and low settings that the saw has been using, this living at 9000 feet just plays all sorts of wackiness on chainsaws that are geared toward slightly lower elevations...

Take it back to the dealer if you suspect something is wrong.
Thanks Niko, I think that's the route I'm going to pursue in the morning, It will mean shipping it back to the dealer as I don't have a dealer within decent driving range, I'd prefer to take it back in person, but I guess getting a return authorization, packing it up and sending it away isn't so hard.

Thanks Niko, I think that's the route I'm going to pursue in the morning, It will mean shipping it back to the dealer as I don't have a dealer within decent driving range, I'd prefer to take it back in person, but I guess getting a return authorization, packing it up and sending it away isn't so hard.
Awkward situation - buying on-line isn't ideal - so it may be worth it to look for the really simple stuff before you do it....

I'll look it over once more before shipping it off. but I don't think it's a simple issue. once in awhile --- maybe one in ten ---it starts and I let it get a little warm and hit the throttle and it runs, not perfectly, but it spools up on application of the throttle. had the tack out and it went to 12800. (tachometer works on this one unlike the stihl 441 autotune) but most of the time it does the boggy hit the gas want to die mode. Intermittent working disorder this saw has.

When I buy my autotune saws online. I ask the dealer to start and run it before shipping to me. That way something like this gets caught before shipping.

Let me know what you find out went wrong. I was going to sell my NE 2011 338 to try a 540 out for myself.

I'll look it over once more before shipping it off. but I don't think it's a simple issue. once in awhile --- maybe one in ten ---it starts and I let it get a little warm and hit the throttle and it runs, not perfectly, but it spools up on application of the throttle. had the tack out and it went to 12800. (tachometer works on this one unlike the stihl 441 autotune) but most of the time it does the boggy hit the gas want to die mode. Intermittent working disorder this saw has.

I thought autotunes had some deal where you had to hold them WOT for five minutes or something? To get them set..or reset...whatever.

9000 feet..they aren't going to be able to diagnose that, I don't think.

Try Monday or something, see if you can get ahold of a real engineer at Husky, tell him the altitude you are at. Maybe there is a setting they can do to make sure it runs that high. Or that five minute deal. And even then it might not ever run as well as one down at lower altitudes, there's no way around the lack of oxygen at heights like that. Much larger carb, larger venturi maybe, different porting and dang I just don't know. Good luck and do a follow up! Will be interesting to find out what it is.

I thought autotunes had some deal where you had to hold them WOT for five minutes or something? To get them set..or reset...whatever.

9000 feet..they aren't going to be able to diagnose that, I don't think.

Try Monday or something, see if you can get ahold of a real engineer at Husky, tell him the altitude you are at. Maybe there is a setting they can do to make sure it runs that high. Or that five minute deal. And even then it might not ever run as well as one down at lower altitudes, there's no way around the lack of oxygen at heights like that. Much larger carb, larger venturi maybe, different porting and dang I just don't know. Good luck and do a follow up! Will be interesting to find out what it is.

yeah, I read somewhere, perhaps here, about that unusually long time at WOT I seem to recall four minutes... but can't be sure, I did do that on one of the occasions I was able to get it running past idle.. I hated ever second of the four minutes, but had the tach on it and I'd figure that 4 minutes at max 13000 rpm won't kill that little 38 cc motor.. after that the symptoms of the saw remain the same... I took it down to 7000 feet the other day, it has issues there as well, I can go to 5000 feet and see what happens. I would love to talk to a real engineer at Husky!!!

and yes, no way to get around the lack of air at this altitude motors just don't make the same power.. unless..... hmmm..... man it would be so cool if we could just figure out how to super or turbo charge a saw up here... just stuff a little more of this rarefied air into that carb.... .. ahh, dreaming I suppose,,, I know though that taking one of my saws down 4000 feet in elevation, retuning to four stroke out of the cut and going, that saw 4000 feet lower has quite a bit more grunt to it...

Last edited:
When I buy my autotune saws online. I ask the dealer to start and run it before shipping to me. That way something like this gets caught before shipping.

Let me know what you find out went wrong. I was going to sell my NE 2011 338 to try a 540 out for myself.

I'll trade you my 540 for your 338 ;) (you know I"m kidding I hope)

seriously, good plan to have anyone start and make sure the saw runs, there was just a hint of fuel in the primer bulb when this thing showed up, and I mentioned to my girlfriend who was there "see this, they actually started and ran this saw prior to shipping to make sure it ran right, unlike the box store brands...." now I'm eating those words. maybe they started it and it idled.. it does do that, just won't accept application of the throttle.

Page 32 of this manual gives the initial run procedure:

Engine adjustment

The following steps should be taken when the chain saw is started for the first time or when outside circumstances change (fuel, altitude, air filter etc.):Start the engine. Accelerate the engine and saw a number of cuts in a thick log (3-5 min.).

The chain saw must be run (8,000 - 12,000 rpm) the entire time so that the carburettor can adjust itself.

Unfortunately in your immediate situation, the normal channel for things like this at a company like husky is to go through a dealer. Most if not all dealers have the ability to get in touch with technically minded people (IE tech service department etc), who are sensitive to the issues that dealers are encountering.

While your problem is certainly frustrating, and ultimately reflects somewhat poorly on Husqvarna, I have to guess that the saw was tested by the engineers many times over. Whether all the problems are resolved or not (I would hope they are -- it's been quite a while), or whether you have a particular, independent, lone issue with your particular saw, is really something for a dealer to determine first. Before husqvarna offers to have you send them a saw, they will want a dealer to check over for obvious faults or issues with the product.

Defective carbs are not unheard of, and so a lone defective carb out of a couple hundred units is not necessarily indicative of a huge issue, nor one that would even concern the engineers. Presumably if there are repeated failures reported to the tech services people the dealers speak to, sooner or later it will make its way back up.

I like your proactive stance. And a lot of the time i'm the same way. And I know it's frustrating. But it should probably go back to whomever sold it to you first. Fortunately top handles are about as small as they come so shipping isnt the end of the world.

Latest posts

Back