Problems with Huskvarna and it's new T540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, I read somewhere, perhaps here, about that unusually long time at WOT I seem to recall four minutes... but can't be sure, I did do that on one of the occasions I was able to get it running past idle.. I hated ever second of the four minutes, but had the tach on it and I'd figure that 4 minutes at max 13000 rpm won't kill that little 38 cc motor.. .

It's NOT 5mins WOT out of wood. You have to be cutting in the wood for that amount of time to initially set tune. Holy Crap.

FWIW. An ordinary tach doesn't work properly.
The Autotune skips sparks when needed. This means that the rev counter can't get a proper reading to count the revolutions.
Try again!

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE THROTTLE LEVER!!!
Choke on.
Pull the saws starter cord until the saw comes to life.
Choke off.
Pull the saws starter cord until it starts.
KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE THROTTLE LEVER FOR A FEW SECONDS.
Bury the saws bar in the wood while pressing the throttle lever all the way.

Don't play with the throttle! There's absolutely no need to do that. It's a bad habit we have to forget.
By playing around with the throttle you really don't help the saw running any better.

I have managed to get it up to speed by almost fully engaging the choke while applying the throttle. one it's up to speed I have cut wood for 5 minutes or more at WOT. after doing that I can let the saw back down to idle and if I apply the throttle within about 10 seconds it will work like a saw should, if I let it idle for more than 10 seconds and apply the throttle it does what it does in the first post of the thread. if I turn it off and restart it it does what it does in the first post of the thread.

It does appear to me that the tachometer works on this saw -- forgive the terrible camera work but heres a little from just now.

I've called more people that are husky dealers but there isn't one within an hour and half of me that has the equipment to plug into the saw so I'm just going to contact who I bought it from and ship it back to them and see how that goes.

My tach worked just fine on my auto-tune 550xp until it hit the rev limiter, then it was just like the rev limiter in any other rev limited saw.

They are a few sponsors that have the diagnostic equipment that might could help ya, but returning it where ya got it would probably be best.

I do wonder about one thing you being at 9000 foot though. The 550s have a little screw on the carbs that act similar to a low speed fuel screw that any other carb has. I wonder if the carb on this 540 has a similar adjusting screw...... I'd have to find out before I sent it back if it were mine!

Thanks for the confirmation that a tach can work on an autotune. I know it doesn't work on the stihl 441cm, but on this on it does (crazy I know). Maybe the electronics are far enough away from the spark plug. I'll take a closer look at the carb and see if there is anything there (can't hurt) I do notice that on taking the filter off and running it it actually sprays fuel backwards out of the carb and that don't seem right to me. Here's a bad picture of what's under the back of the filter.There is a flatbladed screw in that upper hole next to the blue and red wires. I don't think I'm tech savy enough to want to mess with turning it though. Just for kicks and before sending it back I'll head down to the desert tomorrow where it's only 5000 feet above sea level and see what it does down there.

mail

Last edited:
Your picture doesn't work for me friend.
How much spray is coming out the carb? They will have some spit back back out the carb, some models worse than others but all saws will spit back some....like a fine mist really.

Your picture doesn't work for me friend.
How much spray is coming out the carb? They will have some spit back back out the carb, some models worse than others but all saws will spit back some....like a fine mist really.

it just seems to be excessive --like the air filter is stained a husky two stroke shade of blue. weird setup on this saw, there is the carb, and then off to the side is the open throttle open air intake....

I know I can't communicate well and just hope to not turn anyone off on this saw. I think it'll be a good little tophandle. either I'm a total tard, or I got the one in a thousand that has an issue...
carb.jpg carb.jpg carb.jpg

If that screw is willing to turn easily, I'd back it out a quarter turn and see what happens.....If it doesn't work just put it back. Thats just me though :).

That is a weird setup. Nothing says you couldnt have a bad carb either, bar carbs are possibly even on non autotune saws.

Sorry for your problems... Just an observation, Christmas to New Years is the worst time to get ahold of a manufacturer. Even when you do the first thing they will do is refer you to an authorized dealer.

Now you understand why that other brand gets away with selling a weaker lineup- better dealer network.

HF

HF

That's the extra air valve/throttle plate for the strato system. I don't believe the AT system is actively controlling the mixture at idle, so perhaps that is the issue.

FWIW. An ordinary tach doesn't work properly.
The Autotune skips sparks when needed. This means that the rev counter can't get a proper reading to count the revolutions.
Try again!

Choke on.
Pull the saws starter cord until the saw comes to life.
Choke off.
Pull the saws starter cord until it starts.
KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE THROTTLE LEVER FOR A FEW SECONDS.
Bury the saws bar in the wood while pressing the throttle lever all the way.

Don't play with the throttle! There's absolutely no need to do that. It's a bad habit we have to forget.
By playing around with the throttle you really don't help the saw running any better.

This procedure is not always the fix, but in my experience it has never failed me. With non AT saws its real easy to flood by touching the throttle after setting saw up to fast idle. With AT I've never had a problem. I can't imagine anyone running any saw WOT for five minutes not in wood.

I have never set up a saw out of the box. After porting Randy or Terry has set them up and run them till they were satisfied. Terry set up my 2188 and did not like the way the carb performed so he ordered a new one from the factory and installed it. With my skill set I would not have known anything was wrong. That's why I buy from Terry. He is now an authorized Husky dealer and prices his saws to sell.

If you get a chance to go to his GTG you can see some of his stuff perform. I am not easy to impress. I noticed Randy exchanging some ideas with Terry. I listened and noticed Randy was listening. Randy explained to me that Terry and his wife Anne have worked in the woods doing this profession from the ground to the sales floor. When Terry says something, I listen.

This thread may die and the saw might end up in the scrap heap. Not much has changed. saw still runs the same even at a mile lower in elevation --around 4800' give or take (didn't bust out the topo map)

I've contacted husqvarna "customer support" again and the nice lady took a little more information and said that she would 'elevate' this to the next level and that it would take something like 48 hours before I'd likely hear back (that was two and a half days ago)

I found a dealer an hour and a half away that seemed really good over the phone and is willing to take a look at it, but doesn't have any of the autotune diagnostic stuff. I'll run it that way Monday and see what he has to say if I haven't heard back from Husky.

Good suggestion Adirondackstihl-- if husky and my semi-local dealer don't pan out I'll send it to a sponsor here.

Komatsuvarna-- I did back that screw out a 1/4 turn and no improvement-- don't want to delve in much farther by myself being a consumer-- I'd very likely mess something up that wasn't broken.. I think that screw might be much like that is what is on the 562 as per this post.
The Autotune controls one solenoid. Like standard carbs, the low pressure flowing over the main nozzle shifts the fuel draw to the high side. The AT learns to control this transition through the Throttle Position Sensor. Knowing when the pressure changes passages in the range to alter the fuel flow at the solenoid.

Bog at idle can also be caused by a rich condition. To test for this, let the saw idle for three to five minutes. If it loads and blows smoke/unburnt fuel, its rich. Possibly the needle isn't seating proper or the pop off was adjusted to much. The condition this fixes is a lean one. From the factory some of these carbs throttle butterfly is sealed to tight, not letting enough air past. In turn, the AT leans the mixture to attain the proper idle speed. If one is to let more air by, more fuel is necessary to maintain the same idle. The 550/545 Walbro carb has a bypass adjustment screw.

550/545

Untitled
by mweba1, on Flickr
835d78837c

Untitled
by mweba1, on Flickr
a8847e9698

In

Untitled
by mweba1, on Flickr
Out

Untitled
by mweba1, on Flickr

that 562 thread is interesting..

contacted Terry and may end up with the diagnostic tool-- more curiousity on my part to get it it should allow me to see hours run, numbers of starts, H setting, and perhaps if I'm lucky an error code.... won't be able to flash the saw or get the latest software, but for the price and as a curiousity I'll take it even If I learn nothing.

If you have to play with the choke to get it to run at wide open throttle, its lean!! Being a brand new saw, you have a problem only a dealer can/should fix. Especially if you've already tried it in a bunch of cuts. Get it to an Autotune trained dealer or send it back to where you got it from.

Last edited:
When I buy my autotune saws online. I ask the dealer to start and run it before shipping to me. That way something like this gets caught before shipping.

Let me know what you find out went wrong. I was going to sell my NE 2011 338 to try a 540 out for myself.​

These stories are the reason i'm hanging onto my 338XPT NE for as long as it's still got life in it. Don't get me wrong AT carbs are the way of the future and nothing is going to stop the implementation of new technology. Just i figure i'd rather wait until the bugs are ironed out and these sort of stories are few and far between, before i go and take the plunge. ;)

Back