Problems with Lopi Freedom Bay Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thread to some pics I posted this past summer:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=2266789#post2266789

I installed end of spring this year but did not use till two weeks ago if that. I thought this thing was going to be a great heater the first week or so. But the last few days it is nothing but a smoker. The wood has been seasoned for 2.5 years. I have had it under tarp for 3weeks. What we have burnt so far has been under a covered porch for a month. Its oak and some pecan mixed in. I can't see how the pecan doesn't just burn up right away. It is not wet or green.

When we first lit 2 weeks ago I coud get a roaring fire that had to be dialed down with the air controller. Now, it barely flames at all. Forget trying to open the door to restoke as smoke just pours out. This was installed with a positive connection 6" SS liner. The liner extends past the chimney clay liner about 2 feet or so. It has a rain cap at end of SS liner.

The only difference between when we first lit and the past few days when we started getting the smoke back issue is:
1) Temp is 20 degrees colder than our first fire * approx 45 degrees whereas now is 25-30 degrees
2) Wife broke the original glass door at day 4 which I replaced that night with the proper glass from the dealer. I notice no smoke coming out of the door glass anywhere around the gasket.

I did the install of woodstove myself. I used to do heating/cooling installs and feel comfortable that I did a good job. I Used the materials purchased from the dealer for installing chimney top rain plate alongwith some galvanized metal I had to keep rain from going into chimney. I removed the damper from fireplace. There was no lip to fasten bottom of SS liner to the top of stove. The dealer said liner was only run to the top of stove where stove opening was. Maybe this is the issue? I've read other posts that suggest insulating the SS liner would help.

Seems to me like there is something else but I am really disappointed with this right now and would certainly appreciate some more experienced burners advice.

Tks
Tom

All I can do is to comment from my experience. I have a cabin at 6000 ft with a Lopi Regency insert in a quarried stone fireplace with same stone chimney. The dealer I worked with (Shameless plug: - Sierra Home Alternatives in Placerville, CA) advised me that "The flue drives the stove" and that I would not be happy without the properly insulated pipe. I spent the extra $$ for the insulated liner and it works wonderfully.

The stone sucks up major heat. If you only did single wall you may need to insulate it. Some options that were mentioned by my installer would be to pack the space between the chimmney and liner with glass insulation (paper backing removed of course!), or to block the bottom of the chimmney and fill the space with vermiculite.

*Disclaimer: what you do with this information is your choice and our choice only. The content provider knows not what he speaks about.*

Last edited:
Tks for the reply. I should mention that our stone is only on the inside wall and the outside wall is brick.....if it makes any difference. The outside chimney is bricked as well.

When you you fire her up again, you may want to start by torching up a big (loose) wad of newspaper you'llsee if it's drafting right away. Then start your kindling & fire. I used to do that with my stove at a different location (cold exterior chimney twice the size of the 6'' stove pipe) from where it is now. That burst of heat got things going and new fires drafted easily...also check your clean out. If the door is open it'll impact draft..good luck.

Problem solved...all my mistake. When I put the rain cap on, I built a animal guard out of hardware cloth around the cap outside and bottom part. Should have cut the opening for the pipe out b/c it was caked up real good. I also learned that we were not running the air controller open enough.

Lesson learnt and hope it helps someone else out.

Back