processing of log length firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc38

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had a load of logs delivered and I am looking for practical suggestions as to how other members handle log length. In the past I have bought in 4 to 8 foot lengths. This time I got a grapple load and the lengths are much longer.

I guy I work with said he used to pry one log off the pile at a time with a long bar to buck them up. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Nor does climbing up on top of the pile to cut.

I'm thinking of pulling the logs off the end of the pile with a chain or tow strap using my tractor. When the front end of the log hits the ground, I could then go around the side of it and raise the FEL and push it the rest of the way off the pile. The logs are on a very slight incline and I would do this from the uphill side for obvious reasons.

Looking for any suggestions on this, thanks.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

When I do a pile like that I start and the end and work every log back a block or two at a time. Doing it like this you don't have to labor with rolling the logs. Nor do you have to worry as much about one rolling. If they roll your on the out side and out of the path. Also nice looking lumber.

Scott

I also cut ends off. There will be obvious easy ones on either end. As you cut, more will be obvious. Then if you run out of easy ends, the logs will be smaller when you peel them off.

Coming from a guy that doesn't have a tractor with an FEL, maybe this way is not appealing to you.

I would stand on the side of the pile (on a downhill corner) and work some of the logs loose so that they roll off onto the ground.

Once the pile was flattened out a bit I would start bucking them into stove length.

When I had a good number of stove length pieces I would toss them into a pile behind me to get them out of the way (you could use your FEL here to make piling a lot quicker).

Then I would keep cutting or, if I had to, roll more logs to flatten the pile for cutting.

I would repeat this process until the pile was all bucked up into stove length.

This is what I basically do with my 8' pieces that I bring home, and I have also done it with some 16' pieces a time or two. Although when I unloaded the 16' pieces I did not pile them upwards as much - this allowed me to just start cutting after the logs were off the trailer.

Please post up the method that you choose - I am always wishing to learn how to better do things!

HTH :cheers:

well the way i do it it is just get on the uphill side and start buckin em. dont even bother pulling them off cutin em decked up is the easiest:chainsaw:

yeah just buck it as is, dont make more work for yourself. i would wait for the snow to melt myself.

I promise I don't intend for this to come across as mean or condescending... But If you have a tractor (with a FEL no less), just start pulling logs off! Hell, put chain around log, attach to FEL, lift, drive back, repeat with other side. Or like you say just pull them off with chain or strap. I really don't see anything there that could challenge a tractor big enough to have a FEL, unless maybe it's a small garden tractor with a tiny bucket...

And fwiw, I'd rather do it in the snow since you wont jam dirt into the bark when moving logs.

Just my $.02

:greenchainsaw:

lol i wouldnt cut in the snow why cut frozen wood in the snow, its far easier to cut wood that isnt frozen not to mention slippery conditions.

Chain or rope and pull easy.

logdog.jpg

Use some chains, & choke hook.

Leave one end still on the pile so you can block underneath and start cutting.

Pick Up Truck works fine, just go slow, cut and load.

You, sir have just given yourself the perfect reason to buy or build some forks for your loader, just tell the missus that it's the only safe way to do it!

371groundie had a post a ways back with a neat trick using leaf springs to make some bucket mounted forks. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a simple, cheapo addon. Added bonus: doing your bucking on a log at standing level instead of on the ground.

Link to thread here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=88426

+1 If you got a FEL, you gotta have a set of forks or even better a grapple. Forks are a cheap attachment and they're very versatile.

logdog.jpg

Use some chains, & choke hook.

Leave one end still on the pile so you can block underneath and start cutting.

Pick Up Truck works fine, just go slow, cut and load.

I have taken this idea under consideration and I am currently performing a cost study on dog biscuits vs. diesel fuel :greenchainsaw:

Yeh yeh yeh,
FEL, buck, cut split...whatever. the real thing we all want to know is what kind of dog is he. we all can figure out how to work the wood. You can't put a dog in a picture and not expect us to get distracted....

That's Thor, a 2 1/2 year old Blue Great Dane w/ uncropped ears.

He weighs about 175 .lbs and in the picture because he is in front of the logs, he makes the pile look smaller than it actually is. :)

Snatch The Logs Of the Pile

I usually get my logs in 16 foot lengths and do the following.

1 Start at one end of the pile.
2 Pull out the easy logs first
3 Use a choker chain 6 feet in length Slip hook on 1 end and chain hook on other end.
4 Slip hook on log 2 wraps
5 Chain hook to make a loop in chain
6 Snatch strap of 3/4" nylon rope tied to vehicle
7 Just drive away with a quick pull - Logs will just dance off the pile
8 Pull out from end. Do not go where logs can roll onto you.

I usually pull off 10 to 12 logs and line them up with my snow plow once pulled off. Then cut up. I also plow the rounds away from the cut zone and then pile up the rounds as required.

I find this a very quick and safe method to move the logs. I find I can do 12 to 15 logs in about 6 hrs 1 day for me. I have plowed more logs than snow with my snow plow.

I also winch the very big logs off the pile.

That's Thor, a 2 1/2 year old Blue Great Dane w/ uncropped ears.

He weighs about 175 .lbs and in the picture because he is in front of the logs, he makes the pile look smaller than it actually is. :)

Danes are such good pets, unfortunately they have such a short expentancy, Darn unfair to make such a great animal and only have him short term. I would love one no matter. My wife saddled me with a Grey hound.

Back