Progressive Modding of a Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At the risk of failing publically, I'm going to show the progression of events as I mod this Dolmar 7900 with the HD filter setup. I'll tell you right up front, this is the first 7900 I've modded. The 7900BB prototype I demod was left stock except for a muffler mod. If I screw it up, I'll put a new topend on it and be done with it. However, I've yet to see a saw that didn't respond to a little port and muffler work. With that disclaimer out of the way, here we go.

To start off, I heat cycled the saw a couple times, allowing it to cool off after only getting it good and warm. No cutting or WOT. I then cut 2-3 cookies and let it cool again. I've now trimmed the H limiter cap and tuned it in an Ash log.

This first video is a bone stock saw with the exception of trimming the limiter stops.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/seknqVRtK2c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/seknqVRtK2c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Are you gonna share the port mapping and such? I've yet to touch mine other than the matching, MM and an .019 squish I did. In fact my 7901 fells trees better than any other saw I've used at that weight modded or not. It bores well, limbs, bucks and noodles like a raped chimp on meth.

blsnelling Progressive Modding of a Dolmar 7900

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the risk of failing publically,

After what i have read the last year,,have you ever failed at ALL ??

now tell me how to port my ryobi !!

My ported 7900 has three 1/2" holes in the front of the muffler. Don't remove the baffle cage in the muffler, you can open it up a little, but it's not really necessary. Don't go bigger than whatever the volume of 3 1/2' holes comes out to, if you go bigger you'll lose power.:cheers:

My ported 7900 has three 1/2" holes in the front of the muffler. Don't remove the baffle cage in the muffler, you can open it up a little, but it's not really necessary. Don't go bigger than whatever the volume of 3 1/2' holes comes out to, if you go bigger you'll lose power.:cheers:

Andy,
How did you go about opening up the muff ? any Pics ?
A

I watched a really good girly video on the internet last night (OK, maybe not) but have a feeling that the progressive mod videos on this saw will be far more entertaining. That looks like pretty hard wood too?
Brad, I hope you don't have to wear earplugs and earmuffs after any muffler mods? ;)

Last edited:
Andy,
How did you go about opening up the muff ? any Pics ?
A

I didn't open up the muffler myself, the saws builder did. It's simple but effective, some people like it some don't.

Sorry about the image quality.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Now you tell me, lol. Looks like I proved your point. I gutted the internal cage. I then opened up the factory exit and replaced the screen. I also added a second port and used a Husky deflector. It could be that it's not tuned perfectly. Back to the drawing board.

625566978_srNnC-M.jpg

625567118_2PnBf-M.jpg

625567047_pKD9w-M.jpg

It sure sounds good:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IU8oDgS31js&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IU8oDgS31js&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Excellent job mate, nice work.
Looks like there may have been a bit of supercharging going on too with the wind in the background :)

Last edited:
Back