Progressive Modding of a Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This saw didn't cost me a dime.:) Uhhh, but it's not mine, lol.
Nothing wrong with that, give you some free toys to play with, huh?

I should have noted on rahtreelimbs mod, his weld was XLNT, if I could weld like that I might try something like he did, but I think I'm better off going the route you did with the 288 deflectors/spark arrester.

Nothing wrong with that, give you some free toys to play with, huh?

I should have noted on rahtreelimbs mod, his weld was XLNT, if I could weld like that I might try something like he did, but I think I'm better off going the route you did with the 288 deflectors/spark arrester.

No. This saw was bought for MCW to be ported and then shipped to AU.

This is another way to go on a 7900 muffler. Functional but doesn't look as good as Brads!

On the first pic you 'll notice that I opened up the factory port too!

IMG]http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment_29586.php[/IMG]

/http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment_29590.php

attachment_29591.php

Looks like a great way to set the bark on fire.

After seeing what everyone elses compression readings were, I went and tested my 7900, it blew 185. That is about 10 lbs higher than the last time I checked a while ago, my guess it is broke in now and it is completely stock even the muffler:)

After seeing what everyone elses compression readings were, I went and tested my 7900, it blew 185. That is about 10 lbs higher than the last time I checked a while ago, my guess it is broke in now and it is completely stock even the muffler:)

Seems a little high. I might check my mine sometime for grins. I was guessing more like maybe 160-5.

I still think modding saws from new using timings to judge performance gains is problematic. Certain saws pick up 10 percent just from breaking in a tank or two.

Although both my 7900s pretty much ran full steam right out of the box. But my 346 was a real turd at first and it woke up quite a bit.

Seems a little high. I might check my mine sometime for grins. I was guessing more like maybe 160-5.

I still think modding saws from new using timings to judge performance gains is problematic. Certain saws pick up 10 percent just from breaking in a tank or two.

Although both my 7900s pretty much ran full steam right out of the box. But my 346 was a real turd at first and it woke up quite a bit.

Mine ran really strong right out of the box, I've never been displeased with it's performance, I'm sure no two saws will have the same compression readings, to many machine tolerances variances in production.

Mine ran really strong right out of the box, I've never been displeased with it's performance, I'm sure no two saws will have the same compression readings, to many machine tolerances variances in production.

I love both my 7900s, my favorite saws to run of all my saws.

But one of them is just a little stronger and smoother than the other. Just a touch but discernable.

And of the three 3120s I've owned (from new) one was much stronger than any other 3120 I've run. Wish I knew why, so I could have it done to my current 3120s. Even with a 50 inch bar I pretty much could not stop the chain levering with all my might on that saw. Got rid of it because of the low limiter before I knew about swapping out the coil and flywheel which I did later on two.

Last edited:
Back