Project Crunched 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gonna try to fix that bar Will?

I guess, why not. Maybe I'll take it to work tomorrow and stick it in the press and see what happens. I've straightened bars before but never anything like that. Its almost worth leaving it and hanging it on the wall, for a conversation piece.

Good luck with that one Will.

Maybe its just me but lately I been getting pi55y when my "friends" hand me a saw that cruddy and dirty and expect me to hand it back...running. Ya think they could have the courtesy to spend 10 minutes blowing SOME junk off the thing ??? Come on now...ya wouldn't hand your kid over to the babysitter with junk all over him would ya ?? Sheesh....I must be getting cranky in my old age...

A press will get you into the ballpark, but it won't make the bar truly straight. Steel fibers need "shock loading" after they've been pulled out of a previous alignment.

The professional bar guy I go to has the $5k rolling machine which rolls out the majority of the kinks, but he finishes the bars off with about 2-3 minutes of
elbow grease and a 5-pound hammer. He straightens every bar ever made, from a 14" bar on a top handle saw to the 12-foot slabbing bars the local mills use.

Wow, will, that is worse than I expected, but I am sure alot is cosmetic. I saw a 372 in the saw shop, with my friend's working on it. One of the worst I ever saw in person, worse than that 441. A tree sat back on it, and I thought it was totalle'd for sure. They ende'd up swapping the enging, and carb over to a part's, spare carcass. I was blown away that they salvage'd any of it. They had him on the road in about two hour's. Impressive.

A press will get you into the ballpark, but it won't make the bar truly straight. Steel fibers need "shock loading" after they've been pulled out of a previous alignment.

The professional bar guy I go to has the $5k rolling machine which rolls out the majority of the kinks, but he finishes the bars off with about 2-3 minutes of
elbow grease and a 5-pound hammer. He straightens every bar ever made, from a 14" bar on a top handle saw to the 12-foot slabbing bars the local mills use.

Right, that makes sense. I'll see what I can do with it.

Wow, will, that is worse than I expected, but I am sure alot is cosmetic. I saw a 372 in the saw shop, with my friend's working on it. One of the worst I ever saw in person, worse than that 441. A tree sat back on it, and I thought it was totalle'd for sure. They ende'd up swapping the enging, and carb over to a part's, spare carcass. I was blown away that they salvage'd any of it. They had him on the road in about two hour's. Impressive.

372's are way easier to work on then this 441. I could have a 372 stripped down including separating the case is less then an hour.

LOL! I bet that sounded funny, hope you know the 2 hour comment, wasn't a comparson. I mean Im not running a stopwatch my friend:camera: I am impressed you took it on, and bet you will get it going.

Not to mention, you actually like working on 372s. :rock:

YUP!

LOL! I bet that sounded funny, hope you know the 2 hour comment, wasn't a comparson. I mean Im not running a stopwatch my friend:camera: I am impressed you took it on, and bet you will get it going.

No didn't think that at all.

I must say though, this 441 is a pain in the ass to work on.

I bet it is a pain. I can't believe the show I just watched, a shark attack experiment. A bunch of people chumming for shark's in south Africa, home of air jaw's. Jumping in in different clothe's, bikini's, wet suit's surf board's, whatever. To see what, and who, and why the shark's attack. College educated Im sure.

Aside from a couple little issues with the powerhead, those dead-blow hammers work pretty slick on a buggered bar.

YUP!

No didn't think that at all.

I must say though, this 441 is a pain in the ass to work on.

worst pro stihl in terms of tear down. the whole air filter/carb set up (husky rip off) is not friendly at all.

btw those 3 foam buffers wear out very easily especially the one in the front of the saw and are a biitch to replace.

worst pro stihl in terms of tear down. the whole air filter/carb set up (husky rip off) is not friendly at all.

btw those 3 foam buffers wear out very easily especially the one in the front of the saw and are a biitch to replace.

Yes, I see that they are not in the greatest of shape.

had one where i had to replace the tank/handle cause the redneck owner kept using it till it worn the buffer peg down till it broke. just amazing hahaha.

Back