ProMac 850 clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fool skip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to change sprockets on my ProMac 850. The clutch retaining nut spun right off but I'm having trouble with the clutch itself. Is it threaded or pressed on? Thought I better ask before I screwed up. Thanks in advance.

It is on a taper with a key way like the flywheel. Thread the nut back on until it is flush with the end of the shaft, pick the saw up by the clutch drum with your left hand and give the shaft a good solid whack with a hammer and it should pop off. Once you have the clutch spider removed you will need to take a punch and knock the key way out of the shaft to get the drum to slide off.

You may be right, it's been a hot second since I had one off lol.

Thanks guys. Got it! No key, just taper. This old thing runs pretty strong for all the abuse it's had. It's an old log cutter's saw.

It had a 32" 404 bar on it. I'm putting a 33" McCulloch[windsor] 3/8 bar on it. It needs a new rubber mount under the gas tank. I'm too cheap to pay $45. for one on Ebay. I seldom use the saw but it is an old warhorse and deserves proper respect.

Back