ProMix 2-cycle oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapo_feo

Reaction score
I have seen a few mentions of ProMix 1 size fits all oil here but not much information about it so I thought I's share my experience.
I got a bottle at a box store thinking the price is right and it's made in the USA so what could go wrong. I ran it in my old brushcutter and Husky 51 and didn't notice any issues. I put it in my Makita 6401 and 12 minutes later it was dead. Toasted piston. Since I'm an idiot I didn't think it could be my mix so I made a double dose batch and ran it in my little Shindaiwa 360 to break in a new piston. 2 minutes later it was dead. It could be me, or it could be ProMix, but something isn't right. I stopped using it and after new jugs and pistons the Makita and Shin are doing great back on Husky 50:1. Small or larger newer saws it doesn't seem to matter,they die. But it didn't damage my old saw or brushcutter. Just my opinion. Side note, I always use fresh non-ethanol gas.

I could swear I've used it before, probably 15 yrs ago and on the recommendation of a McCulloch repair center. Maybe it's changed since then, or maybe I'm remembering wrong but I'm sure I used a larger bottle of it over a few years in a mini-Mac saw and a gas trimmer. I remember it being dyed red? At any rate, both of those pieces are still running now but I haven't used it since.

Now I'm pretty sure that's not the same stuff I used. Carry on.

Sorry for the trouble with your engines though. I certainly won't use it now.

I have never heard of anyone toasting any equipment using the right ratios of oil either cheap or expensive, yeah better oil is indeed better for the saw but i think a cheap oil will still keeping it from smoking the piston. Maybe your way too lean??

I used it 8-9 yrs ago.......never had a problem.
Didnt like the way it smoked & smelled even at 50:1.
Never bought it again.
Still might have a few ounces kickin around somewhere if ya want it :msp_razz:

I’m always leery of anything with the “one-size-fits-all” label on it; Just seems like they never quite “fit” anything. I bought an adapter for the end of my air hose one time that claimed it would accept any style or type of connector… yeah, it does, but every one of them leak to some greater or lesser degree. Still, it’s handy to have around if I barrow a tool, or someone brings one over to use, because I don’t have to mess around changing fittings… but it ain’t something a fella’ would want to use on a daily basis. I look at two-cycle mix oil the same way… it’s handy to have some “one-size-fits-all” oil around just in case, but it ain’t something I’m gonna’ use every day. I’ll get me by on the short term, but long term?? I’m thinkin’ not.

Some years ago it wasn’t uncommon to have two-cycle power equipment all calling for different mix ratios… it was a PITA. Your weed-whip was 16:1, the snow blower was 24:1, the LawnBoy mower was 32:1, the Poulan saw was 40:1 and the brand new leaf blower called for 50:1. I had gallon cans of gas sitting in a row, all labeled with magic marker… “16:1 WEED WACKER”, “32:1 LAWNBOY”, etc. If I ran short when cuttin’ the grass with the LawnBoy I’d just grab the next “richer” mix to get by, but never the next “leaner” mix. I also had a shelf full of little bottles of mix oil, the brand names on the oil bottles matched the piece of equipment it went with. There was “one-size-fits-all” oils back then, and some people used it… and I heard, and witnessed a lot of horror stories. I never had problems using my system… but like I said, a huge PITA.

Eventually I swapped all my equipment to Stihl… I’ve always used the “orange” bottle Stihl oil and see no reason to switch to the “Ultra” (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it). But really, now-a-days, most everything calls for 50:1… and I think a fella’ could pick any of the oils designed and labeled as a 50:1 and be just fine, Stihl, Husky, Echo, whatever… but I still ain’t gonna’ use a “one-size-fits-all” oil, no matter how good it’s supposed to be.

I’m always leery of anything with the “one-size-fits-all” label on it; Just seems like they never quite “fit” anything. I bought an adapter for the end of my air hose one time that claimed it would accept any style or type of connector… yeah, it does, but every one of them leak to some greater or lesser degree. Still, it’s handy to have around if I barrow a tool, or someone brings one over to use, because I don’t have to mess around changing fittings… but it ain’t something a fella’ would want to use on a daily basis. I look at two-cycle mix oil the same way… it’s handy to have some “one-size-fits-all” oil around just in case, but it ain’t something I’m gonna’ use every day. I’ll get me by on the short term, but long term?? I’m thinkin’ not.

Some years ago it wasn’t uncommon to have two-cycle power equipment all calling for different mix ratios… it was a PITA. Your weed-whip was 16:1, the snow blower was 24:1, the LawnBoy mower was 32:1, the Poulan saw was 40:1 and the brand new leaf blower called for 50:1. I had gallon cans of gas sitting in a row, all labeled with magic marker… “16:1 WEED WACKER”, “32:1 LAWNBOY”, etc. If I ran short when cuttin’ the grass with the LawnBoy I’d just grab the next “richer” mix to get by, but never the next “leaner” mix. I also had a shelf full of little bottles of mix oil, the brand names on the oil bottles matched the piece of equipment it went with. There was “one-size-fits-all” oils back then, and some people used it… and I heard, and witnessed a lot of horror stories. I never had problems using my system… but like I said, a huge PITA.

Eventually I swapped all my equipment to Stihl… I’ve always used the “orange” bottle Stihl oil and see no reason to switch to the “Ultra” (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it). But really, now-a-days, most everything calls for 50:1… and I think a fella’ could pick any of the oils designed and labeled as a 50:1 and be just fine, Stihl, Husky, Echo, whatever… but I still ain’t gonna’ use a “one-size-fits-all” oil, no matter how good it’s supposed to be.

Agreed but i still don't see it smoking his piston in 10 minutes, maybe bad smell, smoke, or carbon build up but as far as lubrication i think all oil does its job.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your saws, that sucks big time. There are a lot of smart dudes here that can help you get them running again, unfortunately I am not one of those guys. Russ

My neighbors own a small landscape business and have several pieces of two stroke powered equipment from back pack blowers to string trimmers to chainsaws. For the 8 years I have known them pro mix is all they have ever run in any of their stuff and they have never had any two stroke engine failures! I still would not run it in any of my stuff though. I just don't like the idea of one size fits all when it comes to that.

Back