Proper Suspension Harness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After reading the post from Tom regarding the suspension trauma, I searched the web along with many sites trying to locate a bucket harness that would limit the trauma since I am going to purchase a new one.

The front D ring would be constantly in the way when working, so that seems impractical.

I have not found any comfortable harnesses that, in the event I was thrown out of the bucket, would prevent the trauma.

I assume I will just need to practice being brought down within 5 minutes or I am dead meat.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
If you are using a standard belt harness in good shape, properly attached to the boom...

Youch, I would not want to have to sustain a fall in that.

At work I use the one with the front D. I thought it'd be a pain at first, but you forget about after the first 5 minutes of using it. Now I don't even notice it when I put it on. The thought of having to get myself back into a bucket while being suspended from a back D makes that front D sound much more appealing!

That's not to say the front D would be easy...but at least possible.

love
nick

Getting thrown from the bucket is not the biggest problem. It is the over reaching accident where the operator falls.

I think iether a dorsal or pectoral attatchemnt would make it difficult to climb back in to the bucket.

What would be better/more practical for self rescue

• having a hitch to lower oneself to the ground and run the bucket from the bed
  • a small dia rope with an ID or like divice to lower
  • climb back up and crawl into the bucket.
    [/list=a]

Gotta agree with brian there, it is all fall restraint/prevention. I've read on criteria where the lanyard "should not allow the operators center of gravity to pass beyond the lip of the basket."

Studies show that the dorsal attachment will reduce fall related trauma compared to any other form.

I use a belt with a single D in the back, but it floats... from roughly hip to hip. Same thing we used at Asplundh.

I had a link in my leveling system break on an LR5, and the bucket basically "dumped" me out. It wasn't all that bad to get "comfortable" while my groundie set me down. Scary, but not really painful.

When I tried window washing among the many techniques I raised an eyebrow at was the body harness with the D in the back. I witnesssesd two incidents that aside from the moron stunts that lead up to dangling 300' off the deck self rescue was completely out of the question. Fire Dept. showed up and demonstrated their lack of practice with high angle recue techniques, people wanted names and addresses for litigation issues and all could have been avoided with any number of options in work positioning harness. and maybe some other rope besides 3/4" poly crab line for safety.

(snip)

I know what that lanyard is for. I also know that in the reality of tree work, a person COULD fall out of the bucket and this COULD happen where there isn't someone right at the controls to lower you. You could be on a big job where you could be stuck like that for a few minutes. You could hang there or try to get back in the bucket. It would be tough, but perhaps doable.
(snip)

love and respect,
nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, you do not need to exit from the thread. I appreciate everyone's input.

I do realize the purpose of the fall arrest harness is to initially keep the operator in the bucket. And, it makes sense most falls are due to operator leaning out of the bucket.

However, I am trying to decide how to make the operator a little safer. Perhaps I need both a dorsal D and an additional belt strap. Almost all safety lanyards seem to be either 3ft long or 6 ft.
3 ft does not leave much room to move.

With the front D, I am concerned with the lanyard possibly getting caught from a limb being cut/ cutting it w/the saw accidently.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I would prefer a rear D since I'd imagine a front D would break my back when the slack ran out.

Hmmm, didn't break my back. I've had three falls with my floating dee - one of them was about 15', straight down.

It sat me straight upright, like riding the ball, only less gracefull. I held on to my saw, no big deal at all.

Except getting back up there! :angry:

If you need more than 3 feet of lanyard in a bucket, you're over-reaching. (on a rear D anyhow)

Thats what I use when I operate a bucket. Phuck those lanyard-belt gizmos. I use my climbing saddle. My previous post kinda tells you why. ;)

The only thing to use in a bucket is a climbing saddle/harness Butch be careful takeing falls in your climbing saddle our work saddles are not rated for a fall factor over 1 or so. Those harnesses that are commonly used by bucket "operators" are another feeble representation of Federal regulations being implemented without real world input.

A little off the subject. I was cutting down a small maple at the end of a drive way with a bucket truck. Breaking the golden rule of working alone and I hit the switch to the controls with a branch the size of my middle finger. In my defence it was quite breezy that day.
Luckily enough i was close enough to the tree to climb down using my waist belt and clip to lanyard in a few times even. I brought a rope with me ever since.

I have heard but can'nt remember where that there are self rescue kits for bucket operators. I think it is a small bag that gets attached to the boom and you clip in two different caribiners if you fall out you would be connected to a five to one MA kit. There all also some self resuce kits for decent, they are small.

Don't get the $79 Klein fall arrest harness from Sherrill. The height adjustment straps always slip on mine. It's a real PITA. The harness is always getting loose. And don't forget to hook in. Sometimes I find myself halfay through a job and I discover that I forgot to attach my lanyard to the boom.

Back