Pros and cons of hiring employees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have several large developments with hundreds and hundreds of trees. They think they are saving money by having us do trees over 14 feet, and the landscapers legally can work any tree under 14 feet. What sucks is as the trees mature, we end up with hacked trees to deal with.
Jeff

Understood..

Now one might think that a business proposal might be made to some of them.. suggesting that if you did them all (assuming you want to), and could
a) have proper work done on younger trees so not a hack job
b) have nicer looking landscape/job
c) potentially save money when they are larger and not need to attempt to restore issues caused by earlier work

Understood..

Now one might think that a business proposal might be made to some of them.. suggesting that if you did them all (assuming you want to), and could
a) have proper work done on younger trees so not a hack job
b) have nicer looking landscape/job
c) potentially save money when they are larger and not need to attempt to restore issues caused by earlier work

The majority do have us take care of all their trees, it's just some don't and won't.
Jeff

Con- training a guy to your likings, then the Big O offers a job to them, more money, benefits and a foreman seat right of the bat! Cant compete with that! The GF I think keeps tabs on who I have for a while, then offers it up after I have him trained! Once I can offer that, gunna go steal my guys back from him! Mad and happy at the same time, mad I lost them (with my blessin, they went, cant hold a kid back)happy that the guys I have trained are that valuable.

Con- training a guy to your likings, then the Big O offers a job to them, more money, benefits and a foreman seat right of the bat! Cant compete with that! The GF I think keeps tabs on who I have for a while, then offers it up after I have him trained! Once I can offer that, gunna go steal my guys back from him! Mad and happy at the same time, mad I lost them (with my blessin, they went, cant hold a kid back)happy that the guys I have trained are that valuable.

That still sucks though. Sorry to hear about that.

I can't understand the desire to do utility work. Residential is so much cooler. I understand the steady work and all that.. but still, powerlines suck the big one! What, did WT knock up his little princess, or he just wanted more money to play with his toys? lol.

I can't understand the desire to do utility work. Residential is so much cooler. I understand the steady work and all that.. but still, powerlines suck the big one! What, did WT knock up his little princess, or he just wanted more money to play with his toys? lol.

I can't imagine doing residential or utility work. Maybe with a small crew it would be ok.
Jeff :msp_smile:

That's an oldy but a goody. But nobody ever stole my employees, they quit on their own!

I think this one guy did it to me though and I am sure other comapny owners know how to recruit.

Nice site and pics Jeffers. Thanks, that does explain it better. Nice nitch if you can get there I'm sure!

What's up with the guy climbing that Euc (I assume its a Euc) with the big Stihl, that bar is just a wee bit overkill, no?

I'm not quite certain of the type of work you and your guys do Jeff. No real exp. with this "commmercial" work. What is it all condo's and businesses and such?

This is a better way to explain it.

http://urbantreecare.com/

Jeff :msp_biggrin:

Property Management... but just trees. You got a good thing, no sense hashing it out with HO's everyday for chump change and a million headaches per one HO, hash it with the big money so its worth the while.

Hell Jeff, I have been trying to get you to poise to surpass my expectations for some time now.:msp_rolleyes:

I have been asked why I don't bid on some of the municpalities around here and have had some personal invites over the years. Not having the WC or the employees is one thing that keeps me out. They can't let me in by myself, that would be absurd. That is my business structure, chaging it would be major and bring up issues I have decided not to deal with by myself at this time. One day, possibly, you might see The Dan heading OP's like that though I doubt it will be my comapany.

Kimberton Tree BTW. I used to have a website and advertise but have no need or desire anymore. In fact I am thinking about closing Kimberton Tree, painting evrything camo and calling it Incognito Tree. There is an ' AND LAND' in the name but I have to tell people all the time it doesn't mean what it sounds like, I don't really do any landscaping... more of re-arranging.

And of course I will plant a tree but I am not sure how to " scape" it , last thing I " installed" was fuel tank in a truck. I also like to do shrub work if they want, very happy to, I love a nice bush and if they pay for the job I will do it. I like the shrub work because I do know how to go about it and can make the money by myself. I will also do an odd job for them maybe here and there but pretty can only be used if you are combining it with quick.

Last edited:
The owner of this company is the best owner I have ever met in 33 years in the biz. I left a cushy city job as a 'tree trimmer' that I would be retiring from by now. I was a contract climber from '92 to '01. Started having babies (mom's fault) and met Rick. I had my own 'dealie-o' when I lived in Julian, Ca. Worst thing is having that stress. I just want a good place to hang my hat and make my boss money and be happy at home.
Jeff :msp_smile:

I just want a good place to hang my hat and make my boss money and be happy at home.

I have always found myself in political situations where I am compelled to speak my mind. I usually end up canned. Last place I was a grounds manager for a high-end resort. One day the assistant head engineer badmouthed my guys one to many times and I told him to F/O....Technically we were collateral positions in the organization....

LoL!
Na, when I canned him over the fight, he put out apps, Big O called about 3 weeks after I called him back, I cant offer the bennies and couldn't guarantee 40 during the winter..................
I dont think he will last long, he dont like the work..............I hope!
"Tell me what to do boss" gotta respect that, so I told him to go ahead. Still climbs for me every weekend, both days, getting ready to go out here in a bit to prune some pin oaks

Workmans comp has been a big goal of mine for the past few years. In ri things r an wee bit crooked. There's only one racket that offers wc for tree laborers called beacon mutual. I am told through the grapevine they have the state gov in their pocket. They require all projected wages for the year paid up front for first time buyers. That in my opinion is a barrier to entry. I'm hustling right now trying to save up money for that first payment.

Wish me luck getting out of barely legal status.

Back