Pruning from 10 pm to 6am (Electric Chain Saws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Retzlaff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So here's the deal guys....

My employer is pruning a walking mall which allows no work during the day due to high levels of foot traffic and a bus which runs up and down the mall. Thus we are starting the job around 10pm working through the night till 5 or 6am when the bus route starts up again. There are residences above the mall... meaning we can not run equipment. (IE Chippers, Grapple Truck, AKA no diesel engines, we're not even allowed to run a Chain Saw!:chainsawguy: )

There is power to all the trees via 110V for lighting the trees in the holiday season. Does anyone have ideas for removing larger branches (six inches or larger) with out the use of a chain saw. Specifically I've heard of using battery/corded sawzaws, or electric powered chain saws.

Tonight is just the first block of the mall then the city arborist is going to check our work and if he likes what he sees we'll get the rest of the mall (about 20 blocks).

Looking for any ideas to speed up this interesting/frustrating job.

Thanks in advance,

The guy pruning by head lamp. :bang:

I'm guessing but I would think that an electric chain saw would cut faster and better than a sawzall. I've cut some limbs with a sawzall once and even with the tree blade it still is slow. Not to mention the part about your arm vibrating off after cutting for a while. A cordless sawzall has an advantage Vs. the 120 volt chainsaw being that there is no cord involved.

I would look at it this way, the best case scenario would be to use a chainsaw. What's more like a chainsaw, a sawzall or a high quality electric chainsaw?

I've got both an electric Remington and a Sawzall, and the Remington definitely cuts faster / better than the Sawzall.

The expensive Stihls are supposed to work really well, but I thought they were 240V?

I use my electric chainsaw when I'm in the shop doing rough cutting on lumber before turning it on the lathe. I also have the electric sitting close by when running the splitter or chipper. It is much faster to pull the trigger to make one quick cut than it is to start up a gas chainsaw.

I think we are getting off topic here, he needs to speed it up. He should be told how by the guy that bid the job knowing this. Did he bid it and ask the climbers to speed it up? Thats what I wanna know, Gas or electric, still, noise, how much noise? Not the chainsaw forum.
Jeff, :dizzy:
Hope you got a damn good handsaw and your boss bid it that way, or has your answer, cause I did not bid it or I would tell you what to do.
Jeff CTSP

There is power to all the trees via 110V for lighting the trees in the holiday season. Does anyone have ideas for removing larger branches (six inches or larger) with out the use of a chain saw. Specifically I've heard of using battery/corded sawzaws, or electric powered chain saws.

How is it off topic to answer the OP's question? :dizzy:

Seems when bidding night work someone should have thought about this a little more , how can you work efficiently quietly , even a conversation between two workers is loud .... Use power pruners there pretty quiet and relatively efficient ..

20 blks worth....branches six inches or larger.....

might want to break out that spare can of elbow grease there in the back corner of the back cabinet....before it expires.

seriously...what a pain. I don't know which would be worse. Cutting everything by hand or fighting extention cords all night.

I'd consider going cordless with some back up 18v batteries.

Can you run hydraulic pole saws off the truck's pump or is an idling truck even forbidden?

You are right and I quess I read it in a different way, like , did he bid it? Did someone else bid it and put him under the gun to get it done. Thanks for the reality slap, Blue :)
Jeff

Looks to me like the OP got stuck with a job the boss bid.

I hear you about the bidder. HE is the guilty party here! Don't bid it if you don't know how you are going to do it.

Don't they make battery powered chainsaws? Seems like even if it
cut slower it would be faster and more efficient than lugging that
cord around.

Looks to me like the OP got stuck with a job the boss bid.

I hear you about the bidder. HE is the guilty party here! Don't bid it if you don't know how you are going to do it.

Based on the original posting, we don't know if the bidder had the job figured out or not. I suspect that he probably had it figured out, but the OP was looking for something bigger/better/fancier.

I think we are getting off topic here, he needs to speed it up. He should be told how by the guy that bid the job knowing this. Did he bid it and ask the climbers to speed it up? Thats what I wanna know, Gas or electric, still, noise, how much noise? Not the chainsaw forum.
Jeff, :dizzy:
Hope you got a damn good handsaw and your boss bid it that way, or has your answer, cause I did not bid it or I would tell you what to do.
Jeff CTSP

Jeff
As of right now I'm not being asked to speed up the job, directly. Im at a private company thus our priorities are Safety, Quality, then Production... however sometimes it feels like production can trump quality. I did not bid the job, one of the sales persons did. Im just trying to make sure that I spend the least amount of nights I have to on night shift. It sucks going to work at 10pm and getting off at 6am.

Back