Pruning from 10 pm to 6am (Electric Chain Saws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the original posting, we don't know if the bidder had the job figured out or not. I suspect that he probably had it figured out, but the OP was looking for something bigger/better/fancier.

I was looking for something that didn't make my elbow/shoulder want to fall off after 8 hours of cutting dead wood out of Locust trees with only a silky... not to mention doing a 30 foot removals of stone dead locust trees, where I would need to piece it down and cut it up to fit in the flat bed.

Jeff
As of right now I'm not being asked to speed up the job, directly. Im at a private company thus our priorities are Safety, Quality, then Production... however sometimes it feels like production can trump quality. I did not bid the job, one of the sales persons did. Im just trying to make sure that I spend the least amount of nights I have to on night shift. It sucks going to work at 10pm and getting off at 6am.

Sounds like a tough situation, James. Does the sales guy have climbing experience? Who answers to low production numbers? I just ask because I started climbing in 1977 and when I bid a job, I would have those answers for you and I would be responsible for the production and man hours. Good to see Safety is your first priority. :)
Jeff

If $ is no object (yeah right) you could use an electrically driven hydraulic powered chainsaw, but the weight of the hose would probably be more trouble than its worth.

Go with the electric chainsaw and live with the cord.

Sounds like a tough situation, James. Does the sales guy have climbing experience? Who answers to low production numbers? I just ask because I started climbing in 1977 and when I bid a job, I would have those answers for you and I would be responsible for the production and man hours. Good to see Safety is your first priority. :)
Jeff

The sales guy does have experience. However as I've noticed as the progression of tree work advances for those in the field as time goes on. The inverse occurs (at times) for those doing sales for several years (10+). Things always can be done faster, more efficient, safer, etc. I believe that being a modern/new school tree worker is much safer than those who've I've learned from. Those of us that are smart, reflect upon situations we are put it on a regular basis and wonder was there a way to do that safer or more efficiently. As for who answers to the low production numbers... I know I get blamed but I'ld like to believe its an across the board kind of thing where the sales team takes part of the responsibility, the maintenance staff for the dam saw not running right (no choke on the saw, bar bent, etc), the foremen, the scheduler not matching the right guys together, etc.

Every company has its quarks just finding ones place and dealing with it is what defines each employee.

I still have mad respect for the guy who taught me to only use a natual crotch (or create one) to lower down 300+lb tops. Granted after a month I taught him about arborist blocks, MA, and technical rigging because I just new there had to be a better way out there. I used this site and other reading materials to advance my old company from the "give it three wraps around the tree" approach to the modern school of thought. As I still stay in touch with him... I still cant get him to spend the $$$ for the Hobbs or GRCS. I'm sure one day I'll convince him though. Some people just need to see it in action before they spend the big bucks.

I recently pruned a very large kiawe (mesquite) tree at the largest hotel in Hawaii at their tour bus depot. Because it is an extremely busy location from 0500 to 2300, I could only work between 2330 and 0430. Needless to say, we could not run gas powered saws and as you all know, mesquite is extremely hard wood and we were cutting branches up to 8 inches in diameter.

I purchased a Makita electric chain saw and it cuts pretty quick. Luckily, the whole tree was accessible with my 23GT which has the electric motor option and an electric outlet at the bucket. It worked out very well. I can see a big problem if I had to climb with it or if my lift did not have an electrical outlet at the bucket. The electric saw is about as loud as an electric drill. Not super quiet, but doubt if guests in the rooms 100 ft. away could hear it. It took us 3 nights (15 hours) and we did not get any noise complaints.

I will be removing a 85 ft. tall coconut palm at this same hotel next week. The closest guest rooms are only 60 ft. away and since this palm is in their pool area, work will also have to be done at night, between 2200 and 0700. Once again I can get to it with my 23GT and will be using the electric saw, except the first couple cuts will need to be made with a pole saw on the trunk, which is only 7 inches in diameter from about 65 ft. up. I used to trim this palm by going up as high as I could with the lift, stepping out of the bucket and climbing the rest of the way. It would bend quite a bit and finally I decided that it was not worth risking my life to trim this stupid palm. The last 3 trimmings I did from the lift, which can get right under it, and a 12 ft. pole saw. On this round of palm trimming I told the landscape manager this palm as got to go and they finally agreed to let me take it down. It has quite a lean, and I think if you measured the total trunk length following the lean you would probably get close to 92 ft. in length. It has to be rigged off itself and the first couple cuts are going to be spooky.

Last edited:
Thats a challange right there. Heres a job, do it quick and efficiently ohh BTW you cant do this nor that. I'm still waiting for the invention of laser beam chain saw (well it wouldnt be called a chain saw anymore would it? LOL)

Yesterday while working in a nice res. neighborhood we had a resident walk, mid day, from 4 houses down and ask my employee to stop making so much noise. Can't recall that happening for a long long time. Most people understand what it takes to do a job properly.

I wasn't there but my guess......musta been a liberal. :dizzy:

Yesterday while working in a nice res. neighborhood we had a resident walk, mid day, from 4 houses down and ask my employee to stop making so much noise. Can't recall that happening for a long long time. Most people understand what it takes to do a job properly.

I wasn't there but my guess......musta been a liberal. :dizzy:

LOL! That's when I scream: "Sorry, I can't hear you, but have a nice day!"

Back