prussik for flipline adjuster?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes i actually like it better they are way less exspensive to make. i wear mechanical adjusters out ive went through 2 of them so far after time even after lubing them up they start sticking and i have to fight to get it how i want it. another plus is that you can cut it. if you are running a steel core lanyard with a mechanical adjuster it is alot harder to cut it in an emergency.

I've used mechanical rope grabs for a while now. I prefer them over thew prussic but the points mentioned here are quite accurate. Holds the flip-line just as well and cheaper.

yes i actually like it better they are way less exspensive to make. i wear mechanical adjusters out ive went through 2 of them so far after time even after lubing them up they start sticking and i have to fight to get it how i want it. another plus is that you can cut it. if you are running a steel core lanyard with a mechanical adjuster it is alot harder to cut it in an emergency.

whats a good cord to use with a maxi flip steel core line? i was thinking of using a beeline or HRC.

beeline or tenew is also good about half price add a micro pulley and make it adjustabe with one hand

my local saw shop has it its what i use, but sherril also has it check it out

ive got two seperate lanyards both from tenex, both with the micro pulley set ups they are over two years old and still going strong, they do very little damage or abrasion on your flipline compared to mechanial rope grabs, ive always used the taut line style prussic knot which is basically the two loops you can slacken it out one handed and when you add in the micro pulleys you can also tighten them u one handed comes in very handy.

wow there is so many prusik cords to choose from. what are you favorites? what do you think stands up to day to day use the best? also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9LR9YlWsqk which of these prusik knots would work best for a flip line set up?

The best prussik's a free one. Take the old one off your climb line that looks a bit iffy and might be glazed up from those fast burns down, slap it on a biner and clip to your D ring. Good to go.

The best prussik's a free one. Take the old one off your climb line that looks a bit iffy and might be glazed up from those fast burns down, slap it on a biner and clip to your D ring. Good to go.

sounds dangerous like me felling a 100 foot tall euc with a 40cc saw and a 18 inch bar.

I've used a prusik with micro-pulley, one way mechanical adjuster, and most recently an A.R.T. Positioner. The prusik is good because it can be released under tension. But after using three different system nothing compares to the A.R.T. Now cost, that's a completely different issue. The A.R.T. will set set you back $178 for the swivel version.

is there anything to keep in mind when using "Tenex" as far as heat resistance goes? im more familiar with Beeline and HRC prussik cord and have never tried anything non heat resistant. does it slide better then something with Technora fibers in it?

is there anything to keep in mind when using "Tenex" as far as heat resistance goes? im more familiar with Beeline and HRC prussik cord and have never tried anything non heat resistant. does it slide better then something with Technora fibers in it?

I've never used tenex, but I suggest that if you're going to use it on your flipline/lanyard ONLY, where's the heat going to come from?

Hard to generate heat on a wicked burn all the way to the end of a Maxi-flip.

That said, I have several different lanyards, all with Prussic adjusters of one sort or another. It's easy duty for the cord, small adjustments back and forth, so they last a long, long time.

Like clearance says above, my steelcore flipline/lanyard has a steelcore prussic. Bombproof.

RedlineIt

Last edited:
have any of you ever used a prussik instead of a mechanical adjuster for a simple flip line?

Yes, I do. I use a 8mm cord on a 11mm static rope. I have a short 8mm cord (about 10" loop after doing the pursik) and about a 8' 11mm static rope tied into my right D ring then I just use one snap on the other end of the 11mm static rope. I like it that way because it's lighter without all the snaps/carabiners and also since I'm left handed I only snap and unsnap off my left side so there is less chance that I'll fudge up and unhook the wrong carabiner. I used to have a 3 n 1 lanyard which was nice to always be tied in going around branches, but a couple times I unhooked the wrong snap leaving me either to free fall 5' or on a couple occasion I think I somehow unbucked completely. Last year I actually tried to learn something new and started useing the split tail system so now I stayed tied in when going around branches without having to use that 3 n 1 lanyard (which I hated). Anyway good luck with whatever you use. I think everybody has slightly different ways in which they do things.

Latest posts

Back