PS-5015 or MS261? Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specially the cat (US) version obviously is a little heavier - most likely the standard version as well (but to a lesser degree).

Power specs is down .1kW, and max rpm down from 14.500 to 13.800, at least on some of them.

Troll, the 5100 was discontinued in 2009 do you remember if it was July or August when they quit production.

I think the Stihl is a better saw for your needs, although they are both great. As an aside, the 261 with a 16" laminated bar will be a LOT lighter than your 361 with a 20" ES bar.

Probably more difference beteen the bars than the powerheads....:laugh::laugh:

I can't speak about the Dolmar as I've never run on or seen that model for that matter, but I can tell you I have been extremely pleased with the MS-261. I haven't found a hole in it yet, it is a big improvement over the 026/260. It addresses all the short comings of those models, air filter set up is second to none, captive bar nuts are nice, it's a smooth little saw. It all boils down to personal preference, I personally like it better than my 346 which is an excellent saw. It handles an 18" .325 really well, we've also run a 16" on it, but like the 18" for a little more reach. Good luck with your decision.

The Stihl will probably be easier to get parts for in the future, and will hold it's value better. It will also most likely be easier to sell if you should want to latter on.

...but I can tell you I have been extremely pleased with the MS-261. I haven't found a hole in it yet, it is a big improvement over the 026/260.
Other than lighter weight I was never overly impressed with the 260 even though just about every city crew here uses them, so I bought a PS-510. Similar power, a pound heavier but felt so much better in my hands.

Now I'm thinking that maybe a pro 50cc might be the way to go instead of the 510 and a 361 I chanced upon, that it would kind of shoot up the middle between the two that I have. The new Stihl has a similar feel in my hands to the Dolmar hence why I am comparing the two. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for your insight. :cheers:

The Stihl will probably be easier to get parts for in the future, and will hold it's value better. It will also most likely be easier to sell if you should want to latter on.

Between where I live and our property up north, there are more than a few Dolmar dealers but yes, there are even more for Stihl. In terms of resale, it appears that Stihl does hold its value a bit better and is far easier to sell due to name recognition. Probably the best known brand going, at least in southwestern Ontario.

They are both worthy 50cc saws. Both have their individual Characteristics.

Stihl will have the much better re-sale and newer technology along with all the positive attributes mentioned before. The 5105 is more old school, sounds much better, and has more trigger response but less torque.

This is why I have both, but if one was the choice the 261 is the Belle of the Ball, not as fun to run, but just does everything very well to best IMO. Mine took 20 tanks of fuel to really break in all the way.

Stihl will have the much better re-sale and newer technology along with all the positive attributes mentioned before. The 5105 is more old school, sounds much better, and has more trigger response but less torque.

This is why I have both, but if one was the choice the 261 is the Belle of the Ball, not as fun to run, but just does everything very well to best IMO. Mine took 20 tanks of fuel to really break in all the way.

My thoughts exactly mate. No doubt my 261 was a better overall saw for 85% of situations than my 353 or the 5100-S I had but just lacked the character I liked. It was quite simply boring! People with CAD like saws with character, even if they aren't always the best saws in their class :D

Matt im going to have say in stock form the 261 is crap as a limbing saw,but with a muff mod they are not the same saw,i have used both and in stock form they are very slow of the mark (for limbing) and slow to wind down.But with the dual port muff modd its a a totaly differant saw,good snappy throttle response (not as good as 260 but) and torque has improved as well and i seam to pick it up more and more.:msp_biggrin:
As ya know there like to run a bit rich 13800 to 13900 is the go.

Trigger response isn't the best on the 5100S, so probably not on the 5105 either. The 346xp is much better in this regard, I understand it isn't an option.......

Trigger response isn't the best on the 5100S, so probably not on the 5105 either. The 346xp is much better in this regard, I understand it isn't an option.......

I guess it just depends on what you're used to. I have found my 510 to be snappy enough, more than the 361. Now the little 020T, just like the 200T... that IS response!

As regards the 346XP, if I ever convince one of the Yanks on eBay to ship north (at a regular rate) I might end up with one of those $400-ish deals yet.

tallguys, lets do a quick comparison. The 261 is dependable and reliable much like the family sedan (Buick station wagon) and the 5105 is high performance with more horsepower much like a (Ford Mustang) Which one do you want to drive to the big dance.

tallguys, lets do a quick comparison. The 261 is dependable and reliable much like the family sedan (Buick station wagon) and the 5105 is high performance with more horsepower much like a (Ford Mustang) Which one do you want to drive to the big dance.

Does the Buick have a big back seat? :msp_wink:

Matt im going to have say in stock form the 261 is crap as a limbing saw,but with a muff mod they are not the same saw,i have used both and in stock form they are very slow of the mark (for limbing) and slow to wind down.But with the dual port muff modd its a a totaly differant saw,good snappy throttle response (not as good as 260 but) and torque has improved as well and i seam to pick it up more and more.:msp_biggrin:
As ya know there like to run a bit rich 13800 to 13900 is the go.

Hey I agree mate but remember we were talking stock saws. As far as throttle response when stock my 5100-S and even my little Husky 353 absolutely reamed my 261. Any model saw modded can be turned into a completely different animal :) Stock the 261 remains a torquey slug - good for dropping into logs but crap for limbing etc. That's why saws like the 200T kick butt in this regard - they're a snappy little thing. I know the 261's are a weapon when modded, but then you're talking a $900 saw. That's 390XP territory and they won't out torque one of those :D

What am I talking about??? Since when have I brought modding costs into an argument... I'm losing it guys :D

Although I have faith in the 261's reliability and Stihl design it hasn't been around long enough just yet to get tickets on itself. I'd take the Mustang :D

I guess it just depends on what you're used to. I have found my 510 to be snappy enough, more than the 361. Now the little 020T, just like the 200T... that IS response!

As regards the 346XP, if I ever convince one of the Yanks on eBay to ship north (at a regular rate) I might end up with one of those $400-ish deals yet.
Well, it would be no fun if we all agreed on everything!

My 361 is an Euro one, and is almost as snappy as the 346xp. Have you tried to richen the "L"
slightly?

400 would be very low, even in the US.....

Back