PS-5100 is it as good as an 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm... so you're comparing an 11.2 pound, 51cc, 3.8hp saw to a 12.3 pound, 59cc, 4.4hp saw. Both are great saws. Which is better is a matter of need. I don't need a 60cc saw, so the Dolmar was the better saw for me. But, you can put a full wrap and double dogs on a 361, which makes my West Coast pants tight.

I might have bought the 5100s if my only local cave dwelling Dolmar dealer had been willing to budge off the $409 list price.

Since my Stihl dealer was willing to discount the 361 to $539 with a 20" bar and RSC chain, it was a very easy decision to buy the 361. I would also note this dealer continues to provide great discounts on other stuff I have bought.

We all know how many hours of service to expect from a properly maintained 361. We also know how well the 361 responds to a few performance tweaks, taking the saw to the next level of cutting performance.

I have not heard anyone comment on the expected life of the 5100S.

I guess one could assume the 5100S running at a higher stock RPM will have a shorter pre-overhaul life than the 361. Maybe someone will comment.

I look forward to hearing more from our 5100s users as they put more hours on their saws.

I have made piles of chips with both my Husqvarna 55 Rancher and my Husky 359. Both are about in the same weight/power class and I haven't found any flaws yet. I run 18" and 20" bars on them. I do the recommended maintenance on them and keep the chains sharp. I think this is very important with 2 cycle engines and high rev saws.

Have you handled the ps5100 or 361? Maybe see what feels good and his a control layout that suits you. Both are very good saws that I wouldn't hesitate to use. If you have a friend or neighbor with one maybe you can try it out.

Hmm... so you're comparing an 11.2 pound, 51cc, 3.8hp saw to a 12.3 pound, 59cc, 4.4hp saw. Both are great saws. Which is better is a matter of need. I don't need a 60cc saw, so the Dolmar was the better saw for me. But, you can put a full wrap and double dogs on a 361, which makes my West Coast pants tight.

The 5100 is heavier than Dolmar admits (as most of the Dolmars are), I have learned - it looks like the real weight differense is just 2/3 of a pound (.3 kg).....:biggrinbounce2:

I have made piles of chips with both my Husqvarna 55 Rancher and my Husky 359. Both are about in the same weight/power class and I haven't found any flaws yet. I run 18" and 20" bars on them. I do the recommended maintenance on them and keep the chains sharp. I think this is very important with 2 cycle engines and high rev saws.

Have you handled the ps5100 or 361? Maybe see what feels good and his a control layout that suits you. Both are very good saws that I wouldn't hesitate to use. If you have a friend or neighbor with one maybe you can try it out.

Im going to send you a PM about your 455 Rancher:chainsaw:

:sword: :fart: :D :D Smartazz, I said I hadn't run a 5100..........

Yep I am a smartazz but only to you.........you and your this weighs more than that..........GIVE IT A REST!!!

Switching bar lengths by 2 inches will make the weight difference that you so care to indulge us with!!!

The darkness must be gettin' to ya!!!

It would seem to me that to compare the 5100s to the 361 is like comparing a Z06 Corvette to a Subaru WRX. They are both great, but there is a huge power difference and a huge price difference. I have only seen one 361 in action and it was an impressive saw, but it costs a lot of money. In fact for the price of a 361 you could buy a 7900 and an extra chain or two or for an extra $100 you could buy 2, 5100s. Either way you go I think you will probably be happy, but if you are considering these two saws you may want to look at the Husky 357. It is also a really great saw and fits in with the 361, but is less expensive and if your worried about that sort of thing it has a longer warranty. The great thing about it is there has never been a better time to be a consumer. We have more choices than a little bit and if you stay with a good brand they are all good saws when properly maintained.

True.....but they are different size saws......you really can't compare them!!!

Everyone keeps comparing the PS5100 to a 036, 360, 361 :deadhorse: when in all honesty the displacement compares to a 260pro but BLOWS THAT SAW AWAY..:hmm3grin2orange: when in time Dolmar comes out with a 56-59 cc version of the 5100 then we can compare to the 36? what ever its called this month.

All I can say is We have sold lots of PS5100's with many many happy customers. And Hey Ben you keep saying parts on backorder for Dolmar what parts are you looking FOR???? :bang: :bang: Im sure they are available!!

Scott

The 5100 is a great saw so far, it was the reason I sold my 346xp. I run a 5100DN & 372EHP as a team. I have a 361EHP coming in hopes of running one saw when I'm short on room in the truck. Hey....it's only money...buy one of each(Rich & I do)

How much does a 5100 weigh compared to a 346?.....I've never even picked one up,but I may just have to get one so I can do my own comparison

Latest posts

Back