PS-5100 is it as good as an 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much does a 5100 weigh compared to a 346?.....I've never even picked one up,but I may just have to get one so I can do my own comparison

I'm sure the 5100 weighs a little bit more, but it is better balanced. Try setting down a 346xp and most of the time it rolls over on it's side. I like the switch better than the smaller Huskies. I'm not to big on the cable throttle on the Dolmar, but I'll have to live with it.

Everyone keeps comparing the PS5100 to a 036, 360, 361 :deadhorse: when in all honesty the displacement compares to a 260pro but BLOWS THAT SAW AWAY..:hmm3grin2orange: when in time Dolmar comes out with a 56-59 cc version of the 5100 then we can compare to the 36? what ever its called this month.

All I can say is We have sold lots of PS5100's with many many happy customers. And Hey Ben you keep saying parts on backorder for Dolmar what parts are you looking FOR???? :bang: :bang: Im sure they are available!!

Scott

cuttinscott said:
Troll keeps saying its too heavy compared to a 361. At least in my area the 361 does not exist come to think of it not many new stihls do exist in this area lol. Around here many 362 /365 owners are buying the PS6400.

I feel your pain for trying to keep the dolmar fires extinguished. If it is true that there aren't many stihls sold in your area I assume husky sales are extremely low also. WOW you are in an extreme minority compared to the rest of the US. Dolmar isn't stable enough for me to invest in one of their saws. One thing I do know is if i purchase a stihl, husky or jonsered I'll probably be able to get a good % of my investment back when/if i decide to sell it in a few years.

Dolmar is so great that 50% of their dealers in a rep from Penn territory dumped them. This is straight form the horses mouth.
Scott, you would be being dishonest if you denied that Dolmar has a shoddy distribution network. After all how long did it take to get the heated handle versions of the 7900 and 5100 out in the US market.
Dolmar has came and gone before and they will again, not because their saws are bad, or dont perform, but because their business practices are very poor.

Look at it this way. In ten years you'll be able to find lots of parts for the 361 and lots of people that can work on them. I don't think it will ever be an orphan. The other saw...well who knows? I hope Dolmar makes it in the market but I know for sure I can count on Stihl. And weight....hey,by the end of the day, they're all heavy. A pound here or there shouldn't make any difference to anybody fit enough to use a saw in the first place.

Last edited:
If they had no dealers in the US i would still run there saws....There is no saw in any of there classes that compares as far as power and price...To me stihl's are way overpriced...I mean what stihl can you buy that makes 6.3 (7900) horse and you can get it with a chain and a pro bar for under 600 shipped....NONE even close...as with husky...

There are at least ten Stihl/Husky dealers within a 30 mile radius of me....Of all of those,there is but one Dolmar dealer...He only started selling them because he somehow ruined his relationship with both stihl and husky.....I'm willing to try anything once,but would rather stay with something that no matter where I'm working,there is a dealer close so I can grab a part quickly if need be.

If your still planning on using your 076 and your MS310 then the 5100s would be my choice. That way you can use your 5100s for smaller stuff thus saving gas and fatigue on your arms.

If your still planning on using your 076 and your MS310 then the 5100s would be my choice. That way you can use your 5100s for smaller stuff thus saving gas and fatigue on your arms.

I finally put a 3/8 setup in my 5100 today (LGX), and cutting juniper it just plains rips. In small wood it seems to cut about as fast as my 7900, although it doesn't sound as good. I have been very happy with both my Dolmars. I'm sure I'd like a 361, but for the money it just doesn't seem worth it.

Dolmar is so great that 50% of their dealers in a rep from Penn territory dumped them. This is straight form the horses mouth.
Scott, you would be being dishonest if you denied that Dolmar has a shoddy distribution network. After all how long did it take to get the heated handle versions of the 7900 and 5100 out in the US market.
Dolmar has came and gone before and they will again, not because their saws are bad, or dont perform, but because their business practices are very poor.

Ben thats news to me what horse are you talking about maybe I know him lol.. Yes Dolmar has HAD issues in the past. Mostly from distributors jumping borders and trying to steal good dealers from outside there area. As well as the mistake of Makita distrubution fighting for the same dealers as Dolmar was. But now we are on a road to a better network it will not happen over night but it will happen once the bad eggs have been weeded out and the good dealers excel. As far as heated handles been waiting for not really a issues see not many loggers/ firewood cutters in this area ever spend the extra $$ for the heated option if its that COLD the damn skidder or splitter probably wont start either.

Scott

Everyone keeps comparing the PS5100 to a 036, 360, 361 :deadhorse: when in all honesty the displacement compares to a 260pro but BLOWS THAT SAW AWAY..:hmm3grin2orange: when in time Dolmar comes out with a 56-59 cc version of the 5100 then we can compare to the 36? what ever its called this month.

I agree that they aren't comparable saws..........:D

....and refrain from mentioning the weigh issue this time.......

No Dolly dealers here...

On the Dolmar site internet map the closest dealer to me is er, way down in Medford or way up in Salem. Coin toss, about 100 miles either way. There must be 35 Stihl dealers inside that range, and one is all of 5 miles from my house. Even if he closes shop, there are 2 more within 20 miles.

But I still have a hankering to get a 5100s (seemingly I am developing advanced chainsaw disease). AS advised that the 290/361/5100 would all pretty much be in the same class. So I am looking at the 401 toward the smaller end to maybe appease my addiction for less. The 401 seems like a lot of saw for the weight. The 40cc Stihls are really pricey in comparison.

I love my 401 :)....super light and pretty darn torqy for a small saw...Doesnt hurt that it was like 200 either...

In fact for the price of a 361 you could buy a 7900 and an extra chain or two or for an extra $100 you could buy 2, 5100s.

Your math doesn't quite jive with prices for both saws in my area.

My Dolmar dealer is the only one around so I guess he can charge top price. My Stihl dealer has some compeition which translates to lower prices on Stihl products.

In the battle of paying list price for a Dolmar versus a nicely discounted Stihl, white & orange probably wins every time, which is kinda reflected in the ambience of the local Dolmar & Stihl dealer shops.

Who knows it might take (2) 5100S to last as long as a 361. :D

Well i paid 350 for my 5100 with a .325 chain and 18" bar and my 7900 was 590 with a 24" laser lite bar and an lgx chain....so i am unsure where stihl's prices even come close?

It must be a regional thang.

The best 5100S price I could get was $375 and I would have had to drive about 40 minutes to the farm store over in NJ to pick it up. I did find a 5100S from someone in Ohio for $350 + shipping.

Of the two local Dolmar dealers, they both wanted msrp list price, and one of them couldn't get a saw for a month.

I also don't have any local Husky dealers. The two dealers I knew from the past, both switched over to Stihl, because of the required Husky tractor sales to keep the chainsaw line.

How much was the DN upgrade for your 5100S? I ask because that mod probably brings the 5100S and 361 a little closer in performance.

Man I opened some worms, sorry....

I just ran an 441 my buddy just bought, nice anti-vibe. Will a 361 have more power and feel better then my 310? what does it compare to if i had it woods ported? Thanks alot guys.

Last edited:
Lots of misinformation on this thread either thru ignorance or outright malice.

the 5100 and the 361 are in 2 different classes. I never see anyone comparing the 5100 to the 260. there's a reason for that. so the next closest thing stihl makes that even comes close to the power of the 5100 is all the way up the the 60cc range. then someone is trying to tell me that there is no weight diff between the 5100 and the 361. well, I dont own (nor want to) a 361, but I own a 360 pro and the 5100 is much lighter than it is, and we all know that stihl added an extra brick to the 360 when they made the 361. so if the 361 is heavier than the 360 and the 360 is heavier than the 5100, how the hell does the 5100 and the 361 weigh the same? (you will be graded)
I also see (as usual) that the loudest detractors of the 5100 have never picked one up, much less ran one.

maybe its just me. I buy saws to work with. they are a tool. they are not an investment property, they are not a centerpiece at thanksgiving dinner and you can't make love to one. if I get 2 years out of a saw, I have made my money back 20x over at least. If I need a part, I go get it or go pay for it and have it dropped shipped. as I own more saws than I really need, a short wait does not affect me. FWIW, the saws I have parts drop shipped for are stihls. they have racks of parts, yet never any that I need.
I guess if I laid around until I was out of wood and freezing, and I only owned one saw, then a wait for parts would bother me more. but in my case, I would be waiting on a part for a stihl.

remember, an emergency from lack of planning or abuse on your part does not constitute an emergency on the saw manufacturer's part. the parts are available for all brands.
-Ralph

Man I opened some worms, sorry....

I just ran an 441 my buddy just bought, nice anti-vibe. Will it have more power and feel better then my 310? what does it compare to if i had it woods ported? Thanks alot guys.

imo, if you are wanting to get a 70cc saw, skip the 441 and buy a 460. if you have that 460 modded, you will have a saw that will nearly cut with a 660 and weigh much less in your hands. (or 2lbs less for saw troll, but he doesn't own a 440, 441, 460 or a 660.) once you run a 460, the 440 just feels weak. once you run a modded 460 the 660 just feels big and heavy.
-Ralph

Last edited:
Ralph;

First of all, I agree that they are not comparable saws.

Using cuttinscotts own weighting results for the 5100, and DLG/KWF ones for the 361, the weight differense is .3 kg (2/3 of a pound) for the empty powerhead, both with and without heated handles - but the 361 has larger tanks, and is more likely to be equipped with a heavier bar, and maybe larger dawgs.

According to all documentation I have seen, the 360 is a tad heavier, not lighter, than the 361......

Latest posts

Back