PS 5100 with a 24" bar??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a weird tread - nobody should want those bars on those saws........:censored:

Weird? No, he just has west coast long bar disease (WCLBD). A lot of us have WCLBD. I mean, I run a 25 inch on my 361 all the time, and I ran a 20 inch on the 290 all the time. Full comp too. I have no problems with either setup. Of course, that is the factory high end in length for these saws... but just the same:

LONGER IS BETTER!
that's what she said, anyway :)

I am trying to get a picture of how they are using the saws. Are they cutting on the ground and bending or are they concerned with bending from a bucket truck or concerned with bending while in trees.

I have climbed and limbed with a 361 and 20" bar and didn't like it. I would have much rather had a top-handle with me and a 14" bar and bent at the knees a bit more.

If they are worried about bending over on the ground, I could see the desire for a 24" bar. If they are packing a 24" bar for reach in a tree, I would think body position would be more of a factor.

You've got them demoing a 3410, what exactly are they doing with that saw?

The 3410 is for bucket and climb... It's got the infamous 17" on it, with a low profile Oregon chain. and yes, the longer bars on the 361's are for mostly ground work... Bucking downed trees to fit in the chipper, limbing, taking small trees and underbrush from the corridor.

They said they don't climb with the 361 (or take it in the bucket) unless the 200t with the 18" bar can't cut it... Which I'm sure is a bar issue, or a speed issue. Why chisel away at a big tree with the TH,when you can fight a bigger saw, and do it faster... This is what I reason anyway, from speaking with them.

I mentioned a 20" on the 5100, and one of the guyz winced. I run a couple 20" on my saws, and I'm 6'4"... The 28" (on my 670) is handy every once in a while, but not necessary IMO. Shoot, I downed a spruce the other day with a 20", and it was about 34" on the butt. I just did a 'box cut', and down she went.

I try not to flashback to my logging days on the landing, wielding a 066 and 32" bar... What a back killing :censored: that thing was.

This is a weird tread - nobody should want those bars on those saws........:censored:

Agreed. But he's looking for something that can pull 24" skip in pine/fir/spruce and is lighter than the 361. If the guys are happy with 28" full comp on the 361 and need a lighter saw to climb with, they'll probably be happy with the 5100 24" skip.

Granted that I am just a lowly firewood cutter and recognizing a huge difference in that and running a saw for hours on end day after day but I ran a 20" B/C on an 031 in hardwoods for years with very good results.
I would say that it is going to depend on the size of the majority of the wood they are going to be cutting. An 8" limb with a 5100 running a 16" bar or an 8" limb with a 5100 running a 24".......seems to me the saw wont know the difference. But you fellers know more about it than I do.
Mike

Hmmmmmm

I don't think I'd do that. Course I think it's silly to run a 24 on a 361 also. JMO... I'd never put a 24 on anything smaller than an 80cc saw, that's cause I don't like screwing around with how hard I can dawg'em. I guess if your going to just use the tip of it for branches and whatnot it would prolly be ok, but no way in he11 I'd do it to say buck or fell... Dawg does not even come close to describing what any of those 50cc saws are with a 24" bar on ANY of them... I've seen dudes running a 28" on a 044. I thought it was silly. What's the point? when you can get a saw that's its not a workout for???

:cheers:

On a side note, if they could throw a 20" on it and take the 2lb weight drop I highly recommend the 5100. I've had super luck with mine and love it for doing small limbing, small bucking and felling up to say 18" or so and whatnot... :clap:

I just got off the phone with my distributer... And he said a 24" bar is the longest recommended bar for the 5100. Hmmmm.

So, it must be able to do it... But I'm not convinced yet.

Well, the "18 inch" Dolmar "small Husky" bar really is a 17" 64dl one (in 3/8") - and they are sold with 16" as well - not much difference though........:givebeer:

The 64 driver mount has been around for years......... Must be Stihl is not a true 18" either then cause they use a 66 driver chain instead if your favorite 68 driver LOL. This does not even take into account 20" bars ranging from 69 driver, 70 driver and 72 driver and lets not forget those few jonsreeds that wore a 71 driver. Or 24" that uses a 81 driver or a 84 driver chain..... It is what it is get used to it. you cannot change the past and there are still alot of older saws that do not use you standard 68 driver configuration.

Now as far as the 24" on the PS5100 we sell them all the time with LGX and a 20" .058 so crews can share the same chains as their PS7900's and if you want to run a 24" you can use either a Oregon A095 bar which is 81 driver or a K095 bar which uses 84 driver????? I would recommend this for soft wood and would suggest skip chain..

Just My .02

Scott

My manual calls for a 16’’ or 18’’ bar, the 20’’ bar is optional though. Haven’t read anywhere that Dolmar has recommended a 24’’ bar as the max.

If the dealer would have had a 16’’ bar in stock it wouldn’t have the 18 on it now.

Maybe I should take the 20’’ bar off my 7900 and just keep the 32 on it.

The 64 driver mount has been around for years......... Must be Stihl is not a true 18" either then cause they use a 66 driver chain instead if your favorite 68 driver LOL. ....

That is correct, the 18" Stihl bars are about 17 1/2", at least the 3/8" ones.

16" Husky bars are shorter in .325 than in 3/8" ( and shorter than "called") - the opposite is true with the 15" ones (3/8" shorter than "called) - and so it goes......:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
The 3410 is for bucket and climb... It's got the infamous 17" on it, with a low profile Oregon chain. and yes, the longer bars on the 361's are for mostly ground work... Bucking downed trees to fit in the chipper, limbing, taking small trees and underbrush from the corridor.

They said they don't climb with the 361 (or take it in the bucket) unless the 200t with the 18" bar can't cut it... Which I'm sure is a bar issue, or a speed issue. Why chisel away at a big tree with the TH,when you can fight a bigger saw, and do it faster... This is what I reason anyway, from speaking with them.

I mentioned a 20" on the 5100, and one of the guyz winced. I run a couple 20" on my saws, and I'm 6'4"... The 28" (on my 670) is handy every once in a while, but not necessary IMO. Shoot, I downed a spruce the other day with a 20", and it was about 34" on the butt. I just did a 'box cut', and down she went.

Not sure about the 3410 set up with that long of a bar either, mine pulls nice with a 14", longer than that in big wood and the thing must be suffering. They are running 18" bars on a 200t? Maybe that is why that crew was having the dropping problems you spoke about in an earlier thread. My 5100s runs very nicely set up with a 18" bar, longer than that I go to the next size up. Realize there is a difference in the way west coast uses the longer bars primarily for reach.

5100 today

Ok, soooooo, it's been like over a month since I touched the 5100 and this weekend, although I've been sick as a dog with danged sinus' AGAIN, I went out and cut 3 or 4 pickups of farrrrrwood. I went with my buddy Ed, BIG Husky guy, so I brought along my 7900/5100/510/288XP. He had his husky 55/570 for the ride. There's a photo of a hard maple we made fast work of that was pretty dead and dry, and we found a dead oak/hickory and some downed locust (osage orange I believe ya'll call it). Point of this is since I hadn't run the 5100 in a couple months, I guess I forgot what a beast that sucker is. OMFG. He was running his little 55, with .325, heard my little 5100 and was like, ummmmmm, WTH is that thing??? This was after he'd been talking smak about my Dolmars. He'd never heard of them. Told me they were probably chinese and I should leave'em home. I said, "here, give'r a try dude..." Needless to say, I had to grab another saw cause I couldn't pry it back from him. After that we started on some bigger stuff, him with his 570 and me with my 7900, well, should I say what happened?? He11s yea, he bout fell over latching hold of that 7900... You havent' seen anybody so impressed with a saw, all smiles. I ended up using my 288 the rest of the day... Fricken guy... heheheheheheee... My god that little 5100 screams though doesn't it? Anybody that hasn't run one really should give it a go when it's tuned right. Yep, I'm singing praises, and well deserved...

:clap: :cheers:

Last edited:
Ok, soooooo, it's been like over a month since I touched the 5100 and this weekend, although I've been sick as a dog with danged sinus' AGAIN, I went out and cut 3 or 4 pickups of farrrrrwood. I went with my buddy Ed, BIG Husky guy, so I brought along my 7900/5100/510/288XP. He had his husky 55/570 for the ride. There's a photo of a hard maple we made fast work of that was pretty dead and dry, and we found a dead oak/hickory and some downed locust (osage orange I believe ya'll call it). Point of this is since I hadn't run the 5100 in a couple months, I guess I forgot what a beast that sucker is. OMFG. He was running his little 55, with .325, heard my little 5100 and was like, ummmmmm, WTH is that thing??? This was after he'd been talking smak about my Dolmars. He'd never heard of them. Told me they were probably chinese and I should leave'em home. I said, "here, give'r a try dude..." Needless to say, I had to grab another saw cause I could pry it back from him. After that we started on some bigger stuff, him with his 570 and me with my 7900, well, should I say what happened?? He11s yea, he bout fell over latching hold of that 7900... You havent' seen anybody so impressed with a saw, all smiles. I ended up using my 288 the rest of the day... Fricken guy... heheheheheheee... My god that little 5100 screams though doesn't it? Anybody that hasn't run one really should give it a go when it's tuned right. Yep, I'm singing praises, and well deserved...

:clap: :cheers:

I can't remember off hand... What bar/chain combo you runnin' on your 5100? Semi or full chisel?

The long bar syndrome is going to be a tough one for me... All these guys want to run long bars. I'm going to catch up to the crew sometime this week, and I'm bringing a bathroom scale with me. If that 361 weighs anywhere close to the 6400, then that's probably what I'll demo them. I figure the 6400 will stomp a mud-hole in that 361 to boot.:)

I can't remember off hand... What bar/chain combo you runnin' on your 5100? Semi or full chisel?

The long bar syndrome is going to be a tough one for me... All these guys want to run long bars. I'm going to catch up to the crew sometime this week, and I'm bringing a bathroom scale with me. If that 361 weighs anywhere close to the 6400, then that's probably what I'll demo them. I figure the 6400 will stomp a mud-hole in that 361 to boot.:)

I run an 18" with 3/8 full chisel, Oregon LGX to be exact. Cutting hardwoods, I wouldn't go bigger than a 20" I'd say, I have a heavy hand. For me, 18" is as big as I wanna go, if I need to put a 20" on anything it'll be 70+ cc's. Course, those guys are probably going to be using them for limbing and whatnot just for the reach, just for that 5100 would do it with a 24" I believe... Today, cutting Ash/Hickory/and Locust, and all dried since last fall in rounds, I put the 5100 through them with the 18" and couldn't seem to slow it down with a sharp chain, 2 sharpenings I'd guess. The 6400 would stomp a hole in the 361, but it's heavy comparatively dude. I've always said the 60cc saw range is the ONLY area Dolmar is lacking in. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll have a 60ish cc saw on the market around 4.6hp that weighs about the same as the 5100's. The other option I'd suggest is to get the 5100, mod it, then slap a 24" on it. You'd have the 4.6hp of the 60cc saw and the weight of the 50cc saws. Hope that helps bro. Good luck and whatever you decide let us know eh?

:cheers: eh?

Last edited:
I run an 18" with 3/8 full chisel, Oregon LGX to be exact. Cutting hardwoods, I wouldn't go bigger than a 20" I'd say, I have a heavy hand. For me, 18" is as big as I wanna go, if I need to put a 20" on anything it'll be 70+ cc's. Course, those guys are probably going to be using them for limbing and whatnot just for the reach, just for that 5100 would do it with a 24" I believe... Today, cutting Ash/Hickory/and Locust, and all dried since last fall in rounds, I put the 5100 through them with the 18" and couldn't seem to slow it down with a sharp chain, 2 sharpenings I'd guess. The 6400 would stomp a hole in the 361, but it's heavy comparatively dude. I've always said the 60cc saw range is the ONLY area Dolmar is lacking in. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll have a 60ish cc saw on the market around 4.6hp that weighs about the same as the 5100's. The other option I'd suggest is to get the 5100, mod it, then slap a 24" on it. You'd have the 4.6hp of the 60cc saw and the weight of the 50cc saws. Hope that helps bro. Good luck and whatever you decide let us know eh?

I also mentioned doing an exhaust mod to them right out'a the gate... And taking off those damn limiter caps. I don't even know if they knew what an exhaust mod was LOL... They probably wouldn't want to do it for the first year anyway, so they could hang on to the warranty. Bahhh! Decisions, decisions. ;)

Limbing

I also mentioned doing an exhaust mod to them right out'a the gate... And taking off those damn limiter caps. I don't even know if they knew what an exhaust mod was LOL... They probably wouldn't want to do it for the first year anyway, so they could hang on to the warranty. Bahhh! Decisions, decisions. ;)

If they are just using them for limbing and climbing, you'd be fine with a 24" dude... I'm pretty sure. With the difference in the rpms, make sure you use a 7 tooth sprocket, they'd like it I'm sure. Set it up 3 or 4 ways, then let them decide. One thing I did to mine which I liked and I saw a bit of difference, was a small mod to the hood(dome) to get more fresh air in. I've had it like this for about 4 or 5 months now and haven't had a problem. It's just a bunch of super SMALL drilled holes in the dome... Cheers eh?

If they are just using them for limbing and climbing, you'd be fine with a 24" dude... I'm pretty sure. With the difference in the rpms, make sure you use a 7 tooth sprocket, they'd like it I'm sure. Set it up 3 or 4 ways, then let them decide. One thing I did to mine which I liked and I saw a bit of difference, was a small mod to the hood(dome) to get more fresh air in. I've had it like this for about 4 or 5 months now and haven't had a problem. It's just a bunch of super SMALL drilled holes in the dome... Cheers eh?

Thanks for all your input ciscoguy01!! I really appreciate it!:cheers: :cheers:

Back