PTO Pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking for feedback please,

Anyone running a Prince hydraulic pump mounted on their tractor's PTO?
What size pump, and on what size / model tractor?
Any input good or bad is appreciated.

Thanks & Take Care

I am on my prossesor , you can see it on the thread that i started. I was runnig a 45 HP tractor but switch to the truck to get more rpm

Last edited:
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60279
Pg.2 post#28 shows my setup. Very very fast and strong splitter.
So far that pump is maaaaaarvelous. It is on a 60PTO HP tractor. Fuel burn is minimal. Hardly more than a small single gas engine.

I guess great minds think alike.

That's exactly the type of set up I'm looking into. Who manufactured the splitter? Looks like about a 20 gallon reservoir, what is the pump putting out 15-18 gpm @ 2500 psi?
As you said in that post, nothing beats power.

Thanks for the help.

Take Care.

That is a custom built unit except for the beam and cylinder which is off a Speeco 3pt splitter. The tank is 21gal. The pump is 21GPM. Cycle time is 6sec. Right now I've only got 10gal of fluid in the tank and I will reduce that for winter ops. Prince recommended the same fluid capacity as the pump GPM thats why the tank is 21gal. I found out later the fluid won't get up to temp with that much available so I drained some out. I can flip it to vertical but don't use that feature anymore.

I have a 36" American Woodsplitter (now American CLS) vertical 3-pt. splitter. It's powered by a 20gpm Prince PTO pump that is supplied with a 5 gal hyd. tank. I mount it to my 1963 MF 202 putting out about 35 hp. Typically a fast idle is more than adequate for 90% of logs.

No complaints except the tractor exhaust blows right at me when splitting. Not sure of the cycle time as I rarely need a full stroke. The wedge has a fairly wide angle that pops most logs with no more than 12" of travel.

I have a 36" American Woodsplitter (now American CLS) vertical 3-pt. splitter. It's powered by a 20gpm Prince PTO pump that is supplied with a 5 gal hyd. tank. I mount it to my 1963 MF 202 putting out about 35 hp. Typically a fast idle is more than adequate for 90% of logs.

No complaints except the tractor exhaust blows right at me when splitting. Not sure of the cycle time as I rarely need a full stroke. The wedge has a fairly wide angle that pops most logs with no more than 12" of travel.

got a solution for the exhaust blowing back at ya... get some flex pipe slip it over the end of the exhaust and rout it away or downwind... it beats sucking fumes

I looked into the American, that's where I came up with the idea of what I wanted. Pricing was reasonable but right now the best delivery I can get is 14 to 16 weeks, and that's a maybe.

Thanks for the help.

Take Care

I have one on one of my log splitters but I'm not sure it's a Prince. It came off a New Holland Haybine and will split anything. I'll check today to see if there is a name on it.

got a solution for the exhaust blowing back at ya... get some flex pipe slip it over the end of the exhaust and rout it away or downwind... it beats sucking fumes

I've thought of doing that very thing...unfortunately it nevers occurs to me while I'm at the auto parts store. So, today I'm splitting wood with a big hunk of cardboard diverting the exhaust. Maybe I'll make a special trip for some flex pipe tomorrow.

I looked into the American, that's where I came up with the idea of what I wanted. Pricing was reasonable but right now the best delivery I can get is 14 to 16 weeks, and that's a maybe.

Thanks for the help.

Take Care

I really lucked out finding this splitter. A guy I work with spotted it at a farm sale. I took a look at it after work and was surprised at what good shape it was in unfortunately they had closed for the day. The next morning I got up early and made sure I was there when they opened. Luckily no one beat me to it so I paid the nice lady, they loaded it into my pickup, and I drove home with my $75 log splitter.:)

I got it home, mounted it up, and discovered that it actually worked...just not real well. I rebuilt the cylinder ($6.45), replaced two seals on the pump ($20), replaced two hoses ($40), and replaced the splitter valve ($160). It works MUCH better now but, I know that I'll have to replace the pump in the near future. According to American CLS this splitter was one of the first that they made and dates back to the early 80's....I'm pretty sure the pump is original.

Even with the cost of a new pump I figure I'm still way ahead of the game and I consider this splitter one of my "best deals."

I don't understand how the tractor exhaust is an issue. It is way up front and you are way in the back. Also most tractor exhausts face forward.

I don't understand how the tractor exhaust is an issue. It is way up front and you are way in the back. Also most tractor exhausts face forward.

2 of my tractors exit out the rear... one gas and one diesel....

Oh I forgot about under slung exhaust. We must be talking older tractors. Although All my antiques go straight up. I did have 2N once that was under slung but that was it.

no necessarily antique tractors... granted my one is a Ford 801 the other is a Kubota L2850.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60279
Pg.2 post#28 shows my setup. Very very fast and strong splitter.
So far that pump is maaaaaarvelous. It is on a 60PTO HP tractor. Fuel burn is minimal. Hardly more than a small single gas engine.

Mine is very similar. A 21 gpm Prince pump with a 4 or 5" cylinder will outrun any store bought splitter. Cycle time with a 4" cylinder is right at 6 seconds. I'll split for several hours and the tractor will just idle along and never struggle to turn the pump. I'm only running a 30 hp tractor.

Latest posts

Back