Pull cord rational

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthe

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What is the reason/rational for using a reel and pullcord mechanism on a rail mill. It is used on a the Logosol M7/M8 and also I have seen it on Woodmizer LT10/15 unit. What benefits does it provide over simply pushing the unit into the log.

Thanks

danthe

I am old and cramp up push stop push stop , Bob had some pictures in the stickey of a log on a 15 or 20 degree slope ,so i tried it its {a treet } says Bob . I think the winch came from not being able to lift one of the log .

I think your talking about the cables under the sawhead on the LT10?

If so, they don't use them on the newer designs. They re-designed the sawhead pushbar and it has a better position in which to move the head on the rail sysytem.
Mine has the cables, but I am not sure they are really needed....I get a good feed rate into the log and maintain a steady hand on the pushbar and don't have issues. The LT15 uses the rope as a way to get a steady feed through the timber, gives you a nice clean cut(not talking from experience, but I once stayed up all night watching YouTube videos:rock: )

Scott (bet your more confused now) B

Without knowing for sure, I'd guess, for the mechanical advantage.

With just one pulley, less force is required. Add more pullies, more advantage.

I bet there are a few modifications out there using stepper motors, hydraulic motors, bicycle gears/derailleurs, even fishing reels...

If the rope has some elasticity then the force being applied to the chainsaw should be more even than what most humans can provide and this should lead to a smoother cut. I still reckon the most even force that can be provided is gravity which is why I reckon sloping the log is a better way to go. Of course that is not always possible with especially bigger logs.

Latest posts

Back